AV Upgrade

Big_AL

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi all, I was a member on here years ago, its been that long I've forgotten my details lol

I originally joined in 2009 when I was first looking at purchasing some home cinema equipment, I was given great advice here and after many What HI FI reviews and help on the forum I purchased the following equipment

Denon 2310 amp
B&W MT30
Pioneer BDP-320
Sony 50inch LED

It's now that time again to upgrade and I am after some advice, I am looking at the following amps, would I noticed much better sound quality going from the 2310 to 3600?, would the 6500 be a waste of money with my current speaker setup? I may at some point in the future change my front speakers in to the B&W 607, but they would be the biggest I would want to go

DENON AVR-3600H
DENON AVR-4500H
DENON AVR-6500H

Any advise would be great

Big_AL

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
Sound quality step up will be minimal between 2310 and 3600. Focus mainly on the features as they're all fine even to drive the 607s.
As the sound quality is the main aim for me changing, would I need to go for the 4500 or 6500, to hear a big difference. I don't want to change my speakers for a good while yet, so I need an amp that is going to go well with the B&W MT30. The next step will be to change my TV to a 55" 4K OLED. I will be running 5.1 setup and maybe buy a wireless Denon speaker for another room for music

You may benefit from 4500h but difficult to say without demo. I don't think it's worth going for the 6500h if you're not going to use all 11 channels of amplification.

Big_AL

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
You may benefit from 4500h but difficult to say without demo. I don't think it's worth going for the 6500h if you're not going to use all 11 channels of amplification.

That's a good comparsion, Many thanks. The only thing I like the 3600 over the 4500 is the fact it has Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization, I take it that means it gives you some sort of Atmos sound without having to put speakers in the ceiling?

You still need speakers for Atmos effect, either on the ceiling or upfiring speakers. An AV receiver cannot invent sound where the speakers aren't present. They mean they can create Atmos effect from non-Atmos codecs.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
I own a 3600 after upgrading from an old Yamaha AV amp at the end of last year.

I’m pleased with the amp, but wouldn’t say it’s a huge upgrade on my old Yamaha. It also runs quite hot. I like my music loud, so have had to introduce a couple of fans to stop it from cutting out.

Does it have to be a Denon amp? I wouldn’t rule out a Yamaha AV amp. I had to upgrade to the 3600 as it was bundled in with my 5.1 speakers. I’m not sure I’d stick with a Denon amp in the future as I feel the Yamaha amps have a better build quality.

If it has to be Denon, I’d probably look at a 4500.

Big_AL

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
The only reason I was thinking of another Denon, is because they still seem to win a lot of the awards and I was led to believe that Yamaha were a nightmare to setup?

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
The only reason I was thinking of another Denon, is because they still seem to win a lot of the awards and I was led to believe that Yamaha were a nightmare to setup?
My old Yamaha was a doddle to setup with the microphone. My 3600 Denon makes you take 8 different measurements on a dodgy cardboard stand. I think the audyssey system is better rated than Yamaha’s YPAO I think from some of the reading I’ve done.

Denon is a good amp, but in my opinion not as great as some of the reviews make out.

TRENDING THREADS