AV Reciever HDMI

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Just a quickie folks, Is it better to connect all HDMI connections to Amp then a feed from Amp to TV or HMDI connections to TV then audio to amp, note I do have an optical cable carrying audio signal from Sky Box to Amp and Blu Ray is HDMI to amp only.

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Please ignore first post as it should of went like this. :? Is it better to connect all HDMI connections to Amp then a feed from Amp to TV or HMDI connections to TV then audio to amp, note I do have an optical cable carrying audio signal from Sky Box to Amp and Blu Ray is HDMI to amp only.

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Juzzie Wuzzie said:
I connect everything into my A/V amplifier, and a single HDMI connection (single direction) to take signals from the A/V amplifier to the television.

Hi, sounds like the same set up as me then, have you ever tried connecting straight to the TV and bypassing the Amp altogether ?

Juzzie Wuzzie

Nope - mainly due to a serious case of OCD and the inability to hide extra cables. The single HDMI to the television has been flushed into the wall so that the television is 'floating'. Secondly, due to the fact that I can't see any material gains to be made from doing so.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Juzzie Wuzzie said:
I connect everything into my A/V amplifier, and a single HDMI connection (single direction) to take signals from the A/V amplifier to the television.

As do I, in all three of my systems.

Dermondo said:
Hi, sounds like the same set up as me then, have you ever tried connecting straight to the TV and bypassing the Amp altogether ?

What on earth would that achieve? In so doing you cannot have surround sound through the speakers connected to the amplifier, and instead you would have only the distinctly less-than-wonderful sound produced by the television's own speakers!

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
[/quote]

What on earth would that achieve? In so doing you cannot have surround sound through the speakers connected to the amplifier, and instead you would have only the distinctly less-than-wonderful sound produced by the television's own speakers!

[/quote]

I am mainly taking about the visual aspect as opposed to the audio side and I am well aware that an extra digital audio cable would have to used from the Blu Ray to the Amp but I would only require two HDMI cables from source (Blu Ray & SkyHd Box) to TV and would not need the extra cable from the Amp to the TV, hope this clarifies it a little bit further

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Dermondo said:
daveh75 said:
Dermondo said:
< I am well aware that an extra digital audio cable would have to used from the Blu Ray to the Amp but

And lose out on HD audio.

Not with a digital audio cable feed from my Blu Ray to the Amp...

If by digital audio cable, you mean coaxial or optical, then yes it does. They're not capable of carrying HD audio.

Mhmm, that I did not know and I will hold my hands up accordingly, but again thats the reason I am posing the question

So really, only way to obtain HD audio is to connect the HDMI from my BLu Ray to the Amp, so on that note I will leave it be.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
If you don't have to buy any more cables, you might want to experiment with listening to the HD audio (Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master audio) and then listening to the digital optical or coaxial version of the same Blu-Ray disc. I know that I'll get shot down in flames, but to my middle-aged ears there isn't too much difference between the HD audio via an HDMI cable and the digital version via an optical or coaxial cable. Which would leave you free to have your own wiring arrangement.

TRENDING THREADS