AV Receivers with Networking functions - How useful is that feature?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm very close to buying a new Av Receiver and I don't know whether to spend the extra money on a receiver like the Yamaha 3900, Denon 4308/3808, Onkyo 906, etc. which comes with "networking" functions.

What exactly does the networking function allow you to do?

If I do not buy an AV Receiver with the networking function, am I able to add in that function later by buying other add on equipment?

Would something like a Sony PS3 essentially add on these "networking" functions if I were to connect it to the AV Receiver?

Thanks.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I never use the networking function on my 905 - as you say, a PS3 can basically do exactly the same thing for you and offers a much nicer front end (compared to the 905 at any rate).

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I find the internet radio functionality of networked receivers an entertaining add-on - with the advantage that (once set up) you don't need to turn your TV onto use it (which you do with the PS3).

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
It depends on the receiver. As alluded to above, you can get internet radio and obviously streaming to the receiver from a suitable server e.g. WMP. However, some of these network receivers aren't that flexible in terms of which audio formats they support. It really depends on how your music is ripped, should you obviously have a music collection on your computer, so check before buying. I found the best option for me was an additional Squeezebox 3 player (for more details see slimdevices.com) and I have most of my CD's ripped in FLAC (lossless) format. I don't download from itunes etc. and simply use my ipod as a mobile listening device for mp3s. I rip my music in FLAC format using E.A.C. software then batch convert it to mp3 for the ipod using foobar2000. If all this sounds complicated, trust me it isn't. Setting up your initial library can be quite time consuming (and boring) but once done, it's done and you can banish the CD's to the loft knowing your lossless copies are as good as the originals (flame suit on). There is a separate forum for computer based music below.

TBH, I prefer my SB3 though, the sound quality is excellent. It has an excellent DAC and it is customisable with various plugins (addon features) and the display is easier to read than any amp display. I also control it using an ipod touch (ipeng software) so it also has the 'cool' factor!

Obviously you also have firmware upgrades over ethernet too.

A

Anonymous

Thank you all for the prompt responses. Besides internet radio and streaming music directly from a PC, is there any other advantages of having the networking function?

For example, if I were to download TV programs directly to my PC, would I be able to connect my PC to the AV Receiver to output the Picture & Sound? Do I need the network function for this or would a non network capable AV Receiver already allow me to do that?

Thanks.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Network receivers handle audio only, so you would a video media streamer e.g. PS3, Popcorn Hour to play back video. I will say that wifi isn't the best for this though (yet), so if they are hidef files, you might be better off with a wired solution such as home plugs from your server to router to streamer.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
it is a new facility and I am sure we will see it filter down the price points over the next year or so. Where as the music is a great facility I still think there is a bit of work to do on the video and Jpeg side. A PC or Apple TV is a easier solution right now IMO.

Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts