AV receivers... Have they improved...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
...for 2 channel music?

I always thought it was the case that a budget 2 channel amp would easily outperform an AV receiver for stereo music and that anyone looking to use an AV receiver for music should expect massive compromise.

Recently, i have noticed an increasing amount of posts reccommending an AV receiver for a music setup.

I have been using my 2 channel setup (listed below) for movies more and more and am becomming increasingly annoyed with having to leave my seat to adjust the volume so i am considering changing my a400 for something with a remote. I was originally looking into an inexpensive, used 2 channel amp like my pioneer so as not to compromise my music listening, but an AV receiver with its built in DAC and features allowing me to introduce extra speakers at a later date, seems an interesting option if it wouldn't be too much of a compromise.

How would a modern AV receiver compare to my current amp? Are they any better for music than they were a few years ago?

T

the record spot

Onkyo's range is well worth a look; very musical amps and I hear good things of Yamaha's range too (something like the RXV-2067 for instance). The benefit with Onkyo's range is the additional provision of Spotify and DLNA to their many talents, thus making them impressive all-in-one systems. Add to this the benefit that for your 751's you can bi-amp them thanks to the additional onboard amps.

Do a compare - side by side. If you were to look at my previous comments on the Onkyo TX-8050, you'll find I have nothing but praise for it and it works very well with pricier components too. This is, I should clarify, a two channel network stereo receiver, though I imagine it's blueprint comes out of their AV range (happy to be proved wrong on that one though).
small-logo.png

T

the record spot

Based purely on my own experience David, I'd say "yes". And probably the issue is the other way around - the limited functionality most integrated amps offer is a significant factor for many people I'd imagine.
small-logo.png

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I bought a £199 Yamaha receiver and think it is really impressive. I think two channel amp manufacturers need to step up to the plate in terms of facilities but also lower their prices. The Yamaha sounds great in HD with the Sky Box, the kids use it with the PS3 and as there is a source direct function sound great in stereo as well. Infact in terms of bass easily beats my £ 650 stero amp!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm more than happy with my Yamaha RX V667 (cost £300) for living room duties. In the past I would have slung on an extra 2-ch amp and used the pre-outs, but I found no advantage using an Arcam A80 (old, but originally £600) I still have (with Dali Ikon 6 fronts).

I think AV amps offer so much more value for money than their stereo counterparts.

I don't use "Pure" mode either. I find using straight and making the front speakers "small" allows them to play far more cleanly, leavnig the sub to fill in below 80Hz.

matthewpiano

I tried it, briefly, with a Yamaha RX-V667 and it didn't do it for me. The sound seemed somewhat restricted and lacking in dynamics compared to any of the popular budget amps with music. I think you might have more success further up the market but then I'd be doubtful that, for example, a £750 AV amp could really compete with a Roksan Kandy K2 on sound alone.

I do agree that stereo amps need to be better specified in future, but there are a few starting to do this now, including:

Onkyo TX-8050 Network Receiver (digital inputs, streaming functionality including Spotify, Napster, internet radio etc.)

Sansui SAP201V Integrated Amplifier (built-in DAC)

Sansui SAP601V Integrated Amplifier (built-in DAC)

Cambridge Audio 651A Integrated Amplifier (built-in DAC)

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I think recievers are far better, with the added bonus of being able to choose between digital and anolog feeds from your CD player. Something all reciever users should try. The DACS in some of the modern recievers are superb. Plus the PSU required to drive 5 or more channels of amplification make them superior to those found in 2 channel amps when your music gets demanding thats when you'll hear and feel the difference.

Stereo amps do go "louder" and will impress in a quick demo ( as I learned). But Recievers are far more capable imo when it comes to delivering dynamics in the "home".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts