AV Receivers & Banana Plugs

geoffreyc

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Does anybody know if the following AV Receivers will accept Banana Plugs (without too much modification!)

Denon AVR-2310

Yamaha RX-V2065

Pioneer LX52

Marantz SR6004

Thanks!

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
geoffreyc:its just my current yamaha RX-V2500 wouldn't (without forcing them) and have heard some current models won't

There is an EU regulation that requires the end of the banana plug socket on the back of the amp to have a plastic insert for some bizarre safety reason, these little plastic inserts should be removed before attempting to offer the banana plug into the socket!

Simple really.

geoffreyc

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
The RX-V2500 didn't have plastic inserts - inside there was a plastic flange which gave way when a banana plug was inserted (with some force) which my dealer told me would invalidate the gaurantee

The back panel photo that 'ediots' posted the binding posts dont look the same as mine

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The plastic pieces on the back of the amp will either break off as you have discovered, or you can remove them by gently screwing in a suitable screw a couple of turns (so it bites into the small hole) then pulling it straight out with a pair of pliers.

The back panel shot above shows what is revealed when you do this - 4mm sockets into which banana plugs can be inserted.

And no, it won't invalidate the guarantee.

Fisherking 145

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
My old Yamaha receiver wouldn't take plugs either, and it wasn't simply a case of having to remove some plastic covers, and as someone mentioned it was to do with an EU regulation. Modern receivers seem to have easily removeable plastic inserts, my SR6004 certainly did, and I am now happily using bananas.

A

Anonymous

my b&w speakers have same black pieces plastic in them

A

Anonymous

I have a 2065 and I can confirm that the inserts were very easily 'popped-out' using a small screwdriver.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts