AV receiver or sound bar

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Help wanted.

I am moving house and will be investing in my first LED HD (probably Smart) TV but am unsure what I need to go with it to get the best sound out of it and to hook up to blu ray, laptop, etc.

We are not huge film/addicts and we do not want clutter, so no large number of separates or masses of wires. Appearance is important.

So my inclination is to stay away from Home Cinema systems. However, we want good quality so the picture, sound and versatility is most important.

Is a high quality TV plus a good quality sound bar the solution? I would like to add a Blu Ray and be able to run a laptop through the TV for pictures, etc. and maybe one games console, but that is about it. A Smart TV will provide me with the other applications I need.

Or do I need an AV Receiver (which is what I am being sold)?

If it is just a sound bar, what do you recommend? If this could be wireless, so much the better.

Thanks

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We've just tested six soundbars in the October issue of the magazine, on sale August 24th, with models from Yamaha, Sharp, Samsung, LG and Panasonic. Well worth a read before you buy.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Jat5361 said:
Help wanted.

I am moving house and will be investing in my first LED HD (probably Smart) TV but am unsure what I need to go with it to get the best sound out of it and to hook up to blu ray, laptop, etc.

We are not huge film/addicts and we do not want clutter, so no large number of separates or masses of wires. Appearance is important.

So my inclination is to stay away from Home Cinema systems. However, we want good quality so the picture, sound and versatility is most important.

Is a high quality TV plus a good quality sound bar the solution? I would like to add a Blu Ray and be able to run a laptop through the TV for pictures, etc. and maybe one games console, but that is about it. A Smart TV will provide me with the other applications I need.

Or do I need an AV Receiver (which is what I am being sold)?

If it is just a sound bar, what do you recommend? If this could be wireless, so much the better.

Thanks

Hi 1st of all it depends on your budget!! You want the bestt picture?, as least clutter as poss?, and hook up BD, games console? If it was me hold back 30% of your tv budget and get your new tv you buy calibrated by an ISF Calibrator, as you could spend a grand on a tv and have a crap picture, but if you spent 700 on tv and 300 gettin it set up properly you would see a huge difference. Sound bar seems to suit your needs if you don't want lots of wires and clutter. Most have a variety of inputs etc... Im sure others will give their advice also. Mine are my opinions only.

Best of luck.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
You should consider Q Acoustics QTV2 if you want good quality but clutter and fuss free sound. It's a 2.1 system that bolts to the back of your TV and all you see is 2 slim satelite speakers. The sound is excellent - decent bass, good clarity and nice clear treble. Some reviews mention some sibillance issues, but in my room, with soft furnishings etc it's not a problem. I'm very happy with it i have to say.

A

Anonymous

Andy Clough said:
We've just tested six soundbars in the October issue of the magazine, on sale August 24th, with models from Yamaha, Sharp, Samsung, LG and Panasonic. Well worth a read before you buy.
sound bar or AV? Which gives the best surround sound?

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Soundbars (esp Yamaha) can be a very good second best, but that is all. I have been hugely impressed by the ability of Yamaha products to create the illusion of surround and quality, but that is all it is, an illusion. If, after auditioning one you are happy with the sound, there is much to be said for the lack of clutter. But, and it is a big but, it will always lack the absolute quality of a full AV system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts