Av forum declares verdict on Sony W905a. Probably the last review site to make its case

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
My advice has always been this: choose your TV regardless of technology. Just buy what suits you best. I have no experience of Panasonic plasmas, but I have played PS3 games for up to 7 hours at a time on my Kuro without any problems.

Market shares are for manufacturers to worry about. I won't base my decisions on them.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
z058261 said:
Market share of Tv is not getting bigger,loses are happening and therefore the rival formats cannot exist comfortably because of tight margins.The pie just doesn't get bigger and so the eventuality will be one format will not survive.....So how can plasma survive in the context of overall TV shrinking shipment sizes, it is all economics.

Pioneer put all their eggs in the plasma bracket, and lost money. Panasonic have backed plasma heavily, only belatedly getting into LED, and have lost money. Sony and Sharp both ditched plasma and went exclusively down the LED route, and both are losing money on TV manufacturing.

The only TV manufacturers who seem to be making money are LG and Samsung, both of whom decided to continue investing in both technologies , so if there's an economic lesson to be learned here its that there is a distinct market for each technology and investing in both can bring crucial economies of scale for manufacturers struggling with low margins.

mr malarky said:
z058261 said:
Market share of Tv is not getting bigger,loses are happening and therefore the rival formats cannot exist comfortably because of tight margins.The pie just doesn't get bigger and so the eventuality will be one format will not survive.....So how can plasma survive in the context of overall TV shrinking shipment sizes, it is all economics.

Pioneer put all their eggs in the plasma bracket, and lost money. Panasonic have backed plasma heavily, only belatedly getting into LED, and have lost money. Sony and Sharp both ditched plasma and went exclusively down the LED route, and both are losing money on TV manufacturing.

The only TV manufacturers who seem to be making money are LG and Samsung, both of whom decided to continue investing in both technologies , so if there's an economic lesson to be learned here its that there is a distinct market for each technology and investing in both can bring crucial economies of scale for manufacturers struggling with low margins.

Wow! Never thought of it that way! :clap:

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:
z058261 said:

As the owner of four plasmas, but also as one who has often recommeneded the outgoing Samsung ES8000 LED series, that is very well said, Mr Malarky!

A

Anonymous

Son_of_SJ said:
mr malarky said:
z058261 said:

As the owner of four plasmas, but also as one who has often recommeneded the outgoing Samsung ES8000 LED series, that is very well said, Mr Malarky!

The PC industry, is also stalling in sales having seen continous eye poping growth increases.The problem is not just a TV one.

But for that PC industry we have seen very rapid innovation in CPU and graphics, and we don't need to wait and pay for a 4k TV to upscale and see 2650 x1600 res' at 60fps for gaming .It is a reality now and I tell you on gaming on that resolution I do not want to know about any 1080p TV. It is a paltry of a resolution.

I have the largest Mac Cinema Display, at the price of a cheap panasonic 50 inch Plasma set. It is glorious in detail as you woud expect. If you have seen or own one of these, you can see that 4k TV is not all that ridiculous. The PC monitor and flatscreen TV are really joined at the hip on a parallel journey in development.

For now I rather have that Mac display resolution and ultra low dot pitch display than a 50 inch TV 1080p set for only games but not for Blur ray use. Now only with Ps4 upscaling and on 4k TV will it turn the PC over. 55inch of HR' is not to be scoffed at for games. Size matters.

Top end PC/Mac monitors can do the billion colour diaplay thing but we are still waiting for OLED to do that for us at ridiculous prices.As for Sony'sTriluminmous technology, in Tiawan a company call Chi Mei has been doing their own 'triluminous panels' - wide colour gamut 130% of the old NTSC standard before Sony and really is based the same tech and benefits. Sony does not have a patent on the 'triluminous thing' Chi Mei do not sell their TVs here.Again they can display greater range of colours than most lcd based sets providing you have the right source.

In retropect, we need to transcend this Led/Plasma merit issue, as for now both are stuck in 'purgatory', neither in low tech hell or high tech heaven...OLED will be that very distant messianic TV god.

The TV industry need to run quicker. Take the Samsung Galaxy 4 phone, it uses FULL 1080p super Amoled and very low dot pitch than any led TV outhere(446ppi) beyong retinal display - it is classed as an OLED family screen technology and already in our pocket and affordable.That black and contrast level on the phone is technically in OLED rather than LED territory. We just need it bigger. That 5 inch phone cost £500, now 50 inch Tv with the same screen technology about 5 thousand pounds?

Consumer will spent if the product is right. 3D TV was not what we ask for hence its demise.People are bored with big TV given what is has to offer.

I still accept we stil need a big TV for Bluray viewing but that is not a big enough excuse to draw the crowds in.... hence the fanancial loses as been said before.

I am therefore for 4k TV and I think it has to happen for the industry to wave its flag.I can't watch my movie on 5 inch smart phone even if it has an Oled screen

Just 2 comments:

1) There's no need for a TV to compete with a phone on screen resolution, as you view your phone from 15-30cm distance. You'll never watch TV at that distance.

2) Even if similar technology is used, it is technically difficult to make larger screens. Besides, it's cheaper to manufacture phone screens as you make a lot more of them as compared to a TV screen of a particular size.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
mr malarky said:

... it also helps that samsung and Lg produce tv's the average jo can afford, and also make display panels for a ton of other companies, especially for telephones. That's going to help their bank balance no end after the smartphone boom recently.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
I think the Sony's are the best LEDs, that is my opinion.
smiley-smile.gif

LCD backlit by LEDS... :)

D

Deleted member 2457

The_Lhc said:
gel said:
The_Lhc said:
I wish I was a Mod, I'd be fascinated to compare Gamemaker's and z0whevs IP addresses...

A troll for sure!

I'm sure I don't know what you mean, I was just curious...

I meant both of them are trolls judging by all of their posts!

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
Just 2 comments: 1) There's no need for a TV to compete with a phone on screen resolution, as you view your phone from 15-30cm distance. You'll never watch TV at that distance. 2) Even if similar technology is used, it is technically difficult to make larger screens. Besides, it's cheaper to manufacture phone screens as you make a lot more of them as compared to a TV screen of a particular size.

Big boss, you raised some tantalising responses and I appreciate your intellectual thinking.

Leaving Tv at 1080p is just not sound strategic business thinking. makes no consumer sense. Everything from phones and tablets even cameras are going beyond this 2mb size image. It does not have to be based OLED it can be just LED and affordable.

Now Plasma would not have a part in that future but say if Pansonic said - let us do a 4k plasma - would you say no? I really doubt you would or anyone else. The next level to the Zx and Vt range....tantalising? What is there not to like? We always find new ways to appreciate new technology.

I hope it is not because 4k is another LED job that people are not wanting it.I have never been prejudicial on TV fomats unlike Z'

Of course, technology shouldn't stop at 1080p. What I meant was, that TVs don't have to compete with mobile phones and aim to develop screens with tightly packed pixels (446dpi or beyond).

4K & even 8K is welcome, but that has to match with content delivery. Unless the likes of Sky / Virgin commit to 4K, and there's development in blu ray (or other) technology to support 4K, or broadband is fast enough to support 4K streaming, there's no point in getting a 4K now. There's no infrastructure in the UK to support 4K currently.

I'll be interested in 4K, whether it's plasma, LED-lit LCD or OLED only if I know I'll be using the 4K feature and not merely and exclusively upscaling 576i, 720p & 1080p content.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Gamemaker said:
I hope it is not because 4k is another LED job that people are not wanting it.I have never been prejudicial on TV fomats unlike Z'

Can't speak for others but personally I'm very pro the development of 4k in principal - technical advancement should always be welcomed as it represents progression - I just think the screen technology has moved ahead of the content delivery platforms, and 4k will be a more appealing prospect when there's widely available 4k content to watch (as opposed to upscaling, which won't allow a 4k screen to do itself full justice).

I am expecting 4k OLED (when finally available at sensible prices) to offer a slightly better experience than 4k LED, primarily through what would hopefully be the dynamic range and black levels that OLED is claimed to deliver, but I would still be very happy to see a 4k LED set playing native 4k content

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Pindi said:
strapped for cash said:
Gamemaker said:
if Pansonic said - let us do a 4k plasma - would you say no?

It'd be near-impossible to manufacture 4K plasma televisions at current screen sizes.

This thread becomes stranger by the day.

Interesting you say that, Strapped...

Have you seen this beast? http://www.costco.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/cos_1,cos_1.1,cos_1.1.1/142976

Now that is a monster - I think by the time I could afford that we won't have TV's anymore, just holograms projected into our living rooms!!!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Three cheers for LCDs/LEDs! :cheer:

:grin:

I think that was the OP's point.

I have "Three cheers for LCDs/LEDs" stuck in my head now, to the tune of "London Bridge is Falling Down." It's annoying and impossible to dislodge; a bit like Aqua's "Dr. Jones."

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
Three cheers for LCDs/LEDs! :cheer:

:grin:

I think that was the OP's point.

I have "Three cheers for LCDs/LEDs" stuck in my head now, to the tune of "London Bridge is Falling Down." It's annoying and impossible to dislodge; a bit like Aqua's "Dr. Jones."

Sorry mate.
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts