AV and HiFi amp connected to single set of speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I have my lovely Cyrus integrated singing beautifully with my Proac floorstanders. I also have an onkyo AV receiver that is being purely used for audio and visual selection and sending signal to Cyrus (Via zone 2 - riddled with issues), but seeings as all the ingrediants are there, I have the urge to sort out my surround sound. My amp has no pre-outs for the front so I have to power surroundsound using onkyo only. Would it be suitable to introduce a Double Poll Double Throw switch into my Chord speaker cable so I can switch the speaker input between the two amplifiers?

More importantly, where along the speaker cable would be most appropriate? Would it be okay to have the (heavy duty) switching system 1ft away from the hifi amp (conveniant) or would this result in electromagnetic reflection and/or loss of quality? Otherwise I will put it right at the speaker junction where there is a junction anyway.

I work with ultrasonic signals (5MHz+) and I know impedance mismatching and electromagnetic reflection can massively affect bandwidth, but I know vey little about hifi electronics.

Any help or input would be most appreciated,

H

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies, that switching box does look the part.So am I to assume that if I use high end materials (thick cabling, silver contacts soldered etc), I could build a switching box myself without worrying too much about it affecting sound quality?I think I could make it look nice enough, maybe stick something like this on for when i'm switching to Cyrus - http://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/images/products/09278-1.jpg HAHA

Thanks for the replies, that switching box does look the part.

So am I to assume that if I use high end materials (thick cabling, silver contacts soldered etc), I could build a switching box myself without worrying too much about the introduction of another junction affecting sound quality?

I think I could make it look nice enough, maybe stick something like this on for when i'm switching to Cyrus - http://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/images/products/09278-1.jpg HAHA

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
To do it properly you either buy a switch, & I'd strongly recommend something designed for the job, or upgrade the receiver to something with pre-outs.

I guess the problem Beresford has is relatively low demand so no scope for volume savings. Maybe that's why QED dropped their switch? Having said that it does bug me that Beresford price ex-VAT. Which even if not illegal for a consumer site, certainly goes against good practice.

Edit - it seems the QED switches are still available from Superfi & others. Although designed for one amp into two pairs of speakers, I guess they can be used in reverse? Best to clarify with QED.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
The reason I suggested the beresford is that if you search online you will find reviews suggesting that using one will NOT affect the SQ.

The other solution is to have separate speaker cables from amp and avr receiver and swap them at the back of the speakers when necessary. I have used that method myself, but found it annoying after a while. I now use the pre outs, but my receiver had them in the first place.

Not sure buying a new receiver with pre outs is really the cheapest way to go!

TRENDING THREADS