AV amp to drive my Monitor Audio Gold Reference speaker set up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

First post here and hoping for some advice from all you experts!

I’m in the process of upgrading my Home Cinema system and am trying to decide what level of AV amp I should be going for.

Whatever AV amp I go with will have to have front L and R pre-outs as I intend to drive my main front speakers though my stereo pre and power set up, as I currently do with my existing AV amp.

The problem is that in order to get the best out of the proposed new TV (PANASONIC VIERA TXP50VT30) and Blu Ray Player (Panasonic DMP-BDT310) I will need to upgrade my now very out of date AV amp since it has no HDMI inputs and can’t do 3D etc

After scanning the reviews and specifications I was planning to go for something like the Yamaha RXV-771. I’ve always had Yamaha AV amps and have found them pretty good on the whole.

However a few folks have suggested that whilst perfectly good, this level of AV amp won’t do the rest of my system justice. The advice has been to up the budget to about £1k if I want to get the best out of my existing speakers and new TV and Blu Ray components.

Here is what I am currently running as a combined stereo and AV system

Stereo Amps: Musical Fidelity A308 pre and power combo

CD Player: Musical Fidelity A308 CD

DVD Player: Arcam DV79

Front Speakers: Monitor Audio Studio Gold 20s

Rear Speakers: Monitor Audio Studio Gold 10s

Centre: Monitor Audio Silver LCR

Sub: REL Strata 5

AV Amp: Yamaha DSP-AX750 SE

TV: Pioneer PDP-435PE

The A308 power amp is switchable between 2 separate preamp inputs so when I want to watch TV or a DVD is simply switch the amp over to its second input setting and take the front L and R inputs from the AV amp via the front pre-outs.

This set up works really well for me and since I don’t see no point in changing the approach.

I have always found the sound quality of the Musical Fidelity and Monitor Audio stereo set up to absolutely superb (at least when playing a decently recorded CD).

However whilst perfectly good, the AV performance has never really blown me away and I can’t help feeling that the rear Monitor Audio GR10’s are not well served by the AV amp.

Given this I have been looking in to what sort of AV amp I can get for around the £1k mark.

I have seen a few ex-demo Pioneer SC-LX83’s going for around this money, reduced from the original price of £2k and was wondering what the everyone here thinks to this option.

I appreciate it is a slightly older model but frankly the updates given to the SC-LX85 don’t interest me that much and the features of the LX83 are more than adequate for me – the key is high quality and realistic surround sound performance.

I also think I’d rather save £900 on a slightly older ex dem £2000 amp than pay full price on a new £1k amp, unless I’d be missing out on anything really important.

Any suggestion for you guys and girls on all of this would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and one other thing, I live in the middle of nowhere in Northern Scotland so popping to the nearest decent AV store means a 120 mile trip (each way) so going to endless demos is not an option. If I was replacing my stereo amps then of course I’d make the journey, but for the AV amp I’d be prepared to base my decision on advice, specs, price and available reviews.

Thanks in advance,

OllyD

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. I would certainly advise on moving beyond the 771 considering the rest of your set up. Depsite using your MF for the fronts you will still need good quality processing, a clean output and a little bit of power for the centre and rears.

If you can find a good quality SC-LX83 then that is a good start - it is a fantastic amplifier and although there are gains with the 85 the £600 odd difference could be better spent on something else such as a new subwoofer. I would look out for a Yamaha RX-V3067 as well - another superb amp that was going cheap.

Looking for something new? I recommend the Anthem MRX300 if you are.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for this Nick - really helpful advice.

Bad news is that the ex dem SC-LX83 I was looking at has gone and I'm not finding another at the price point that I can afford (well sort of afford - you how it is!)

I'll do some reasearch in to the Yamaha amp thought as this sounds as if it might be a worthy alternative.

Cheers

Olly

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I was surprised when you said there was still some available as the 85 has been out for a while and the 83 was not exactly overstocked. There were quite a lot of 3067's in the market so you may find one.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
+1 for the Yamaha RXV3067. Still seem to be a few left. Originally £1500, you'll now get it for half that. It'll serve your MAs perfectly. I love mine.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Guys,

Anyone know where I might find a Black Yamaha RX-V3067 for a decent price these days? Not had any luck tracking one down so far!

I have found a used (althought still rather expensive) Pioneer sc-lx83. My only worry is that it might possibly come across as a tad too bright for me in the long term. Whilst I obviously want a realistic, detailed, accurate, energetic and involving soundstage I really want to avoid the risk of a 2 hr Movie experience becoming aurally tiring.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Olly

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
http://www.quantumelectronics.co.uk/acatalog/Yamaha_RXV3067.html?gclid=CO6AyvLr1K0CFUQMfAodNUjbkw

Slightly more than you could get it for a couple of months, but not many around now.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the links Richard,

I had already tried the Sound and Vision folks and they were all sold out unfortunately but I'll defintiely give the the Quantum electronics folks a call tomorrow. If I have no luck there I'll just have to see what sort of a deal I can get on a used one, or a used Pioneer lx83.

Cheers

Olly

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice folks - and particulary to Richard for the link to Quamtum Electronics.

Spoke to Phil at QE and he did indeed have a black Yamaha RXV 3067 in stock so I took the plunge and raided the piggy bank - again.

With the AV amp now sorted I have completed my Home Cinema upgrade spending spree and will hopefully take delivery of the following by the end of the week:-

TV: Panasonic VIERA TXP50VT30

BluRay: Panasonic DMPBDT310 MR

Amp: Yamaha RXV 3067

2 x Cambridge Audio HDMI 514 1.5M cables

Looking forward to a weekend of cables, manuals, head scratching and then hopefully an awesome Home Cinema experience or two.

TRENDING THREADS