AV Amp for second room system

scene

We're (hopefully) extending our house, to add a dining area to the kitchen. This will be 3.4m x 3.9m, with a long side open to the kitchen. I'm want to keep the budget down, so I'm looking to wire in my old KEF 2005.2 speakers, but I need an AV amp to drive them. As the primary use for this room will be as a dining room (+ kids' homework in due course), I don't want a huge amp in the room, also I will, almost certainly, be getting a Sonos ZP90 for wireless music / internet radio - which will probably be more used than the AV system. Budget is small, no more than £400.
So I need a small-ish, sub-£400 AV amp, that's good enough for music and will drive my KEFs. I wondered about the Sony STR-DH810, but will this be OK for my KEFs? Any thoughts?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
scene:We're (hopefully) extending our house, to add a dining area to the kitchen. This will be 3.4m x 3.9m, with a long side open to the kitchen. I'm want to keep the budget down, so I'm looking to wire in my old KEF 2005.2 speakers, but I need an AV amp to drive them. As the primary use for this room will be as a dining room (+ kids' homework in due course), I don't want a huge amp in the room, also I will, almost certainly, be getting a Sonos ZP90 for wireless music / internet radio - which will probably be more used than the AV system. Budget is small, no more than £400.
So I need a small-ish, sub-£400 AV amp, that's good enough for music and will drive my KEFs. I wondered about the Sony STR-DH810, but will this be OK for my KEFs? Any thoughts?

What of the budget end of the Yamaha's, seem to very good value at around the £300.00 mark, and they do seem to suit KEF speakers well IIRC?

scene

JohnDuncan:Is there going to be iny 'Visual' in this AV setup or is it just about putting the KEFs to some use?
Good point JD
emotion-10.gif
The plan is to get a smallish TV, well no bigger than 37" to wallmount, down the line, but initially will either have no telly, or use my old 32" Sony KDL-V2000,which is only 720P. Should have mentioned this up front...

scene

JohnDuncan:OK. The reason I ask is to work out whether you're bothered about HD sound formats? Old DD/DTS-only receivers such as this can be picked up on eBay for peanuts, and would serve you well unless you insist on having HD sound...
Good point - I hadn't fully thought of the HD vs. non HD sound issue... Hmm.

Only thing about the yammy, is that its over 20% deeper than the Sony, which might reduce its Partner Approval Factor...

John Duncan

Yes it is a bit chunky, but was more by way of an example than a specific recommendation, since I noted you said you didn't want anything too big. I'm just saying that generally older receivers are extremely good value on eBay - as another example, how about something like this? 310mm deep, though will probably end up around the £100 mark...

scene

OK, I see where you're coming from. No, you're right, unless I'm dead set on ARC / 3D / Full on HD sound (might be...) then an older s/h amp definitely makes sense. 310mm deep is good, however WHFS&V quote the 540Rv3 as being 350mm deep...

scene

JohnDuncan:I got that from CA's own spec sheet on the 540R, which would make sense given the depth of the rest of their Azur range. And we have been known to be wrong (strange though that may seem...)
Surely not!
emotion-4.gif

scene

Much as I like the looks of the azur, I think the absence of hdmi inputs is going to be a limiting factor in the long run. If I want to get a cheap BDP tongo with the amp, then I'm going to have to look for one with m/c outs AND get an m/c set of cables, rather than a cheap as chips that cable hdmi...

So I think I'm going to have to add HDMI to my AV amp requirements.

scene

JohnDuncan:Well here's something I'd be looking at if I wanted to keep budget down. 315mm deep. But then I'm cheap...
Thanks again jd, that is interesting. How can I resist something with "SCENE functionality"
emotion-4.gif

scene

JohnDuncan:It's meant to be.

Just add a new Sony telly - they have a 'Scene' button on the remote. Sadly for Mrs Scene there's no associated 'Mute Scene' button...
emotion-5.gif

emotion-2.gif
LOL - so you obviously know us well then jd
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts