Audyssey calibration confusion

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
i don't know how i should be doing my auto calibration.

i looked on the website of audyssey and they have a diagram showing the 8 locations for measurements and say the first measurement must be taken in the middle of the listening area, the middle seat basically, as also shown in the diagram, yet my main listening position is the left seat, as it is directly infront of the centre channel/tv

so am i meant to take the first measurement there on the left seat, or in the middle seat (which is not my listening position)?

yet in the same page they say this Place the mic at ear height in the primary listening location and start Audyssey MultEQ as instructed in the manual.

can anyone clarify where i need to take my first measurement?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am 99.9% certain the first measurement will be used to set distances, levels delays etc. You want that at the MLP not off to the side imo.

Samd

ellisdj said:
I am 99.9% certain the first measurement will be used to set distances, levels delays etc. You want that at the MLP not off to the side imo.

You might be right but I thought I had read somewhere that all the positions do that. In other words the final distances etc are the 'best fit' for all measured positions. I do just 3 positions and always start in the centre (no seat there!) then the seats either side.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Samd said:
ellisdj said:

You might be right but I thought I had read somewhere that all the positions do that. In other words the final distances etc are the 'best fit' for all measured positions. I do just 3 positions and always start in the centre (no seat there!) then the seats either side.

If that is the case just measure the MLP everytime - you dont want a best for all - you want a best for just 1 seat

EDIT - move the mic to the left and right of that seat roughly where your left and right ear would be - concentrate on the important area not where noone will sit

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Samd said:
ellisdj said:

If that is the case just measure the MLP everytime - you dont want a best for all - you want a best for just 1 seat

EDIT - move the mic to the left and right of that seat roughly where your left and right ear would be - concentrate on the important area not where noone will sit

interesting! will try and see what its like..

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Audyssey is about more than just levels. It calibrates the sound levels across the frequency spectrum like a gazillion channel graphic equaliser, adjusting the outputs across the frequency range to best suit the rooms audio characteristics, not just seating positions.

I would recommend, therefore, running the Audyssey setup procedure as closely as possible to the instructions your receiver probably puts up on your telly, then, if you like, manually adjusting individual speaker volumes to suit your likes. This shouldn't affect the equaliser settings. I certainly do this, as I like to hear the rear surrounds working a bit more than the Audyssey levels, and at the same time turn down the side surrounds as they're a bit close to the couch.

My media room is 19 feet long but only 12 foot six wide and the side surrounds are right at the sides of the MLP couch which is roughly halfway down the 19 foot length of the room. Truth be told, the room is probably a bit small to hear the full effect of the 7.2.4 Atmos setup I've installed. Given all my surround speakers are fixed into (not onto) the walls, moving them is not a viable alternative, that is, unless I want 'er indoors removing my manly parts with a rusty breadknife because of the ensuing extra holes / repairs in the plasterboard....

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
if you understood how room freq reponse and eq work you would realise that less is more. Learn to use REW and you will see.

if you have seats 1 2 3 the freq response will be different for all 3 seats.

Eq systems generally take out peak freq's

So imagine the situation where you measure seat 1 as your MLP and it requires certain eq to be applied. You then measure seats 2 and 3 and they need different eq. So thats more being reduced overall at different points.

What do you think happens to seat 1 - that response gets less ideal there because its being changed different to what it actually needed - by how much depends on a lot of factors - but that is still how it is.

Setting for larger area is better for multiple viewers but when its only 1 viewer why would you do that - you dont need to - its common sense.

These EQ systems are not perfect its not good adding eq, its actually bad so again think less is more.

F

FunkyMonkey

Noone has suggested if you can set your main position in the centre of the listening area.

Regardless....
Set the first position where you will be sitting. Then in your manual there are diagrams of where the other positions should be based on the layout of your seats. Follow that.
Works for me.
Audyssey guide assumes, quite sensibly, that main position will be central. Why wouldn't they?

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
Audyssey is about more than just levels. It calibrates the sound levels across the frequency spectrum like a gazillion channel graphic equaliser, adjusting the outputs across the frequency range to best suit the rooms audio characteristics, not just seating positions.

I would recommend, therefore, running the Audyssey setup procedure as closely as possible to the instructions your receiver probably puts up on your telly, then, if you like, manually adjusting individual speaker volumes to suit your likes. This shouldn't affect the equaliser settings. I certainly do this, as I like to hear the rear surrounds working a bit more than the Audyssey levels, and at the same time turn down the side surrounds as they're a bit close to the couch.

+1

The latest audyssey has far more sophisticated algorithms than the previous incarnation on my Marantz SR7007. My first attempt was rubbish. The second involved assembling the cardboard stand and following the on screen directions to the letter. Bingo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts