AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt as system DAC

ast2312

May 3, 2020
Hi All,

Just wanted to get some views. Is it sensible and practical to use the AQ DragonFly Cobalt as a main system DAC?

I have a Mac mini and thinking about connecting to an analogue amp and looking for a solution that’s good in SQ and does not break the bank.

Just wanted to see if anyone has had experience or is using such a set-up.

The main issue with using what is meant to be a portable DAC is you can only connect it to one device.
If this works for you then fine however most buy DACs to attach more than one item to an amplifier.

D

Deleted member 116933

Hi All,

Just wanted to get some views. Is it sensible and practical to use the AQ DragonFly Cobalt as a main system DAC?

I have a Mac mini and thinking about connecting to an analogue amp and looking for a solution that’s good in SQ and does not break the bank.

Just wanted to see if anyone has had experience or is using such a set-up.
I use a red with headphones straight into my mac and if all you want to do is connect mac mini, its certainly a fine DAC which revival much more expensive DAC's and is a really tidy solution, Never listened to cobalt myself but many put it in the ballpark of a chord mojo.

But as stated above if you want more connectivity then it might be a problem. For more connectivity at a similar price point may be a Schitt Modi? or even a SH chord mojo, plenty about.

qduaty

Dec 30, 2020
I use it everyday as a "system" DAC. I switch it between computers: laptop, smartphone and stationary. To avoid unnecessary disconnecting of the amplifier (whose inputs are as safe as the ground connection) , I've built a headphone adapter with a switched socket (picture attached). The picture also shows a USB isolator because I have another DAC. For more inputs, for example to switch them from a remote, some sort of a Raspberry Pi is required. There are boards with SPDIF inputs that can help. The device is incompatible with FLIRC on the same hub (or most likely the other way, because I had some success with a DIY remote receiver). A remote is necessary because it has no buttons.

Resolution is limited to 96/24 and does not support DSD. However it has MQA, so some songs may sound better on Tidal.

The sound of ES9038+SABRE9601 is addictive and it's been a year since I first discovered the pleasure of listening with it and keep discovering it everyday. So, it's worth trying despite of the obvious drawbacks of a small device.

Attachments

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS