Audiolab M-One or Marantz HD-Amp1

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
In order.

As always in these situations there are different ways of doing things depending on your priorities. Sometimes you need to think ahead, something that works for the moment but allows expansion down the line.

If you are not Apple based, a new 128GB iPod is a lot of money, a straight replacement for whar you have, but is it what you want? Where do you listen to your music, how important is the portable aspect of the iPod, can you use your phone for mobile use?

For example, I use a cheapish low capacity iPod purely for mobile use, I rotate a selection of music so the small capacity is unimportant.

Everything else sits on a network hard drive, you can use your PC for this, and accesses from my streamer. You could use a Yamaha WXAD-10 to do this, Songcast is an excellent app, and it has both Bluetooth and Airplay built in. Toslink out, so straight into your amp.

Note. In hi-fi, most digital connections use the 'Sony Phillips digital interface' (SPDIF) coding, this can be transmitted over either an electrical coax (rca/phono) cable or an optical cable known as Toslink. Functionally they are the same.

robdmarsh

OK, so portable music is not a big concern to me. I know I can buy a low capacity ipod or start using my phone to take music on trips etc. What was useful about my old ipod (and still is as it hasn't died yet) is that it allowed (allows) me to play all of my music library in pretty good quality on the Apple compatible usb connection.

Hence forward I just want to be able to play my itunes library wirelessly through my new amplifier using its own high quality and ideally be able to see it and control it with an app. If this Yamaha thing or the other Neet whatsit allow me to do that (or various others in between), then happy days.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
robdmarsh said:
OK, so portable music is not a big concern to me. I know I can buy a low capacity ipod or start using my phone to take music on trips etc. What was useful about my old ipod (and still is as it hasn't died yet) is that it allowed (allows) me to play all of my music library in pretty good quality on the Apple compatible usb connection.

Hence forward I just want to be able to play my itunes library wirelessly through my new amplifier using its own high quality and ideally be able to see it and control it with an app. If this Yamaha thing or the other Neet whatsit allow me to do that (or various others in between), then happy days.

If you use the WXAD-10 and the MusicCast app, it should be able to find your iTunes library on your computer and play the music from there. This is not the way I do things so I have not tried this myself but it is supposed to be a function of the Yamaha app.

There is plenty of unformation on the Yamaha website, try downloading the manuals.

Gray

robdmarsh said:
Thanks Gray. Have you used/ do you use any of these wireless music receivers?

...only that cheapie Bluetooth receiver, just to give me some Bluetooth option for speech radio and the odd Youtube music video.

For serious music listening, your Marantz would justify something better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts