AUDIOLAB M-DAC

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does the Audiolab M-Dac sound any different from the DAC in the CDQ or are they identical DAC devices in different boxes? If the sound is different, in what way?

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
Hello,

The two DAC sections have the same sonic character. They're highly detailed, fast and taut. Both image well too. However, the M-DAC has a better quality output stage and this gives it extra transparency and fluidity over and above that the CDQ manages. That said, as a DAC, the CDQ will outperform most sub-£1000 alternatives we've heard

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
This M-Dac looks very good . how would You compare it to Rega dac ? I could wait couple of weeks :? I have already bought

rega Dac plus V link , more boxes ,no remote , no headphones

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the explanation. I seem to be spoilt for choice at present, the main problem being the dealers (understandably) tend to have one or the other of the various DACs I am interested in, at least with the Audiolab I should be able to get a listen to both at the same dealer

A

Anonymous

I was planning on replacing my 8000CDX/DAX with an 8200CD as the DAX has developed an intermittent fault, now that this M-DAC is available I am wondering if it's the right thing to do? perhaps it would be better to replace it with this new DAC, I could also then get rid of my DACMagic which I use for PC Audio duties. Does anyone have any thoughts on how this will perform with a 8000CDX Transport and if it will be a better combo than the 8200CD?

rgds

Marty

sortof

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
The M-DAC should serve you well and would save you actually some money over the 8200CD. And you could sell your DacMagic.... The only potential downside I see is that at some stage you may need to replace your ageing CD transport as well unless you decide to switch entirely to PC-based audio. Anyhow, if necessary it should be easy and not overly costly to find a CD spinner to feed the M-DAC.

A

Anonymous

sortof, thanks for your thoughts on this, that is exactly what I hoped to do, sell on the CA DAC and replace my CDX as and when needed. What I didn't want to do was partner my old CDX with the M-DAC if the 8200CD would of sounded better, I guess only a Demo will reveal all!

rgds

Marty

sortof

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Micromecca_UK said:
What I didn't want to do was partner my old CDX with the M-DAC if the 8200CD would of sounded better, I guess only a Demo will reveal all!

That´s right, my money would be right on the M-DAC though - assuming the transport transmits reasonably clean data.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts