Audiolab M DAC +

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Earlier this year I bought a second hand PS Audio DL3 DAC and up until now have found it to be a very good machine, particularly as I only use it for listening to Spotify via Sonos.

I've never been that keen on it's looks and build quality though so I was pleased to notice a Metrum Octave MKII for sale from Elite Audio. Made the call and they had it couriered to me next day... very disappointing, the thing wobbled on my rack for starters and the SQ was inferior to the DL3.

It was a shame, but I wasn't that bothered really. I told the guys at Elite and made the mistake of asking how I could better the PS Audio without spending silly money, as quick as my Email left my PC I had a reply saying they had just the DAC for me!

The Audiolab M DAC + arrived today and as soon as I prised it from its box I could feel its quality.

As I have stated many times on this forum, I am an advocate of the silver disc, so a little skeptical of the benefits of a separate DAC, but straight out of the box I was hooked!

I haven't played around with the various filters yet and it still sounds superb. The most impressive aspect is its soundstage.

I'm not one for techy stats, but for those of you who are here's some figures for you:

– Compatibility: CD/CDR
– DAC: ESS Sabre32 9018 chip
– Resolution: 32 bits
– Sampling Opt/Coax/AES: 32–192kHz
– USB Sampling: 32kHz – 384kHz

Apparrently, the same DAC chips are used in the top of the range Krell DAC which costs a cool 15K.

I guess it could be seen as a bit overkill for what I use it for, but if at any time in the future I go down the streaming route more seriously, the M DAC+ more than caters for that avenue.

Anyone in the market for a sub £1000 DAC should definitely take a listen.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Enjoy. Good to read an actual user review

It's something I have in my mind when the funds allow. Thing is I want everything because I'm recently back into this hifi lark after time away and there's so many options

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Yes there is so much options out there these days. I did also audition the M Dac+. Was very good, actually much better than the Audio lab M Dac which I happened to own. The Chord 2Qute just happen to win me over more. It's separation of instruments was just a tad better. Having said that the M+ had a bigger sound stage.

Of course functionality of the M+ adds to its appeal.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I own the standard M-DAC, Ilove the feature set but have never been totally soldon the sound, I just find it too digital and natural sounding enough for me. I'd be keen to see how this compares sound wise.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
bluedroog said:
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I own the standard M-DAC, Ilove the feature set but have never been totally soldon the sound, I just find it too digital and natural sounding enough for me. I'd be keen to see how this compares sound wise.

That's something that's always put me off, I wouldn't entertain anything that sounds too digital.

I can only speak for my ears and the M DAC+ intigration in my system and I find it very analogue sounding... if you're looking to change, definitely demo it.

Mac

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Macspur said:
Point of note. He made mention of the M+ not as good as the Chord Hugo dac. Now the Chord 2Qute is actually in part a Hugo. Just that its not a portable Dac like the Hugo & does not run on battery. Having upgraded the power supply of my 2Qute to a Linear power Supply it now sounds very analogue. Again the only main disadvantage is lack of functionality. Having said that, in the real world don't think the difference bewteen dac's are that much. which ever way you go these days you will get very good sound quality.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Macspur said:
Point of note. He made mention of the M+ not as good as the Chord Hugo dac. Now the Chord 2Qute is actually in part a Hugo. Just that its not a portable Dac like the Hugo & does not run on battery. Having upgraded the power supply of my 2Qute to a Linear power Supply it now sounds very analogue. Again the only main disadvantage is lack of functionality. Having said that, in the real world don't think the difference bewteen dac's are that much. which ever way you go these days you will get very good sound quality.

[/quote

I've been talking to the dealer and I asked if they stock the Chord, but sadly not. They've offered me a very good part ex deal on the PS Audio, so I will prob go with the M DAC+.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Bought the M DAC+ yesterday... £400 plus PS Audio in exchange.

I've hardly played a CD since I've had it! Sure it's the novelty factor and I'll be back with discs before long.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbbubble.net

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
but I'd like to know more about the filters and how headphones sound from the MDAC. Interesting to see that Arcam have now gone with the ESS chips in the almost-half-price iRDAC II.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
paulkebab said:
but I'd like to know more about the filters and how headphones sound from the MDAC. Interesting to see that Arcam have now gone with the ESS chips in the almost-half-price iRDAC II.

The headphone amp sounds as good as anything I've heard, probably sound even better with better cans.

Unfortunately, the filters are a impossible for me to use without sighted help, but will report back as soon as I can get someone who knows what they are doing.

Mac

Some people think music has to be happy to be good, but it's the emotion it stirs in ones soul that really counts, whether that be happy or sad.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
lpv said:
Macspur said:
Bought the M DAC+ yesterday... £400 plus PS Audio in exchange.

I've hardly played a CD since I've had it! Sure it's the novelty factor and I'll be back with discs before long.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbbubble.net

do you stream music from spotify etc instead?

Yes and I've been copying a few CD's into WAV, but it's quite time consuming and fiddly for me.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts