Audiolab CD 8200 BRICKED

OZHIFI

May 24, 2016
Visit site
I have an Audiolab CD player. My young daughter wanted to play a CD while we ate dinner. How cute! She must have held down a button while the CD booted up. It does take a while when turned on. She called me in to see why it wasnt working. On the display there was a message on the screen saying "CONTROL UPDATE 2.0" hold play to erase. I was excited at first, I thought wow an update!! I did think it was strange as it the unit doesnt have a wifi or internet connection except the last time I had the CD player on I had just downloaded an Itunes EP and wanted to play it on the stereo so I connected it to the MacPro to play throught the USB so I assumed that the CD pllayer had found an update and downloaded it. So I held the erase down and realise now that I have erased the ROM. I have given the player back to my local HIFI shop. There has been mention that the unit is out of warranty. However I dont beleive this is a warranty issue. The HIFI manage did also mention that John Westlake had left this software on the player to create problems after he left. This sounds like an issue that should be resolved by the manufacturer at no cost to the purchaser even if it is out of warranty. There is mention in the brochure of the Audiolab 8200 being able to be updated and there is nothing in the manual about the control update. The player has been shipped to Sydney and it has been there 3 weeks and I am getting concerned that I will be asked to pay to have it fixed. What are your thoughts?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
OZHIFI said:
I have an Audiolab CD player. My young daughter wanted to play a CD while we ate dinner. How cute! She must have held down a button while the CD booted up. It does take a while when turned on. She called me in to see why it wasnt working. On the display there was a message on the screen saying "CONTROL UPDATE 2.0" hold play to erase. I was excited at first, I thought wow an update!! I did think it was strange as it the unit doesnt have a wifi or internet connection except the last time I had the CD player on I had just downloaded an Itunes EP and wanted to play it on the stereo so I connected it to the MacPro to play throught the USB so I assumed that the CD pllayer had found an update and downloaded it. So I held the erase down and realise now that I have erased the ROM. I have given the player back to my local HIFI shop. There has been mention that the unit is out of warranty. However I dont beleive this is a warranty issue. The HIFI manage did also mention that John Westlake had left this software on the player to create problems after he left. This sounds like an issue that should be resolved by the manufacturer at no cost to the purchaser even if it is out of warranty. There is mention in the brochure of the Audiolab 8200 being able to be updated and there is nothing in the manual about the control update. The player has been shipped to Sydney and it has been there 3 weeks and I am getting concerned that I will be asked to pay to have it fixed. What are your thoughts?

Well the dealer should have outlined any charges before it was sent off. It often goes like this: under warranty no charge. If not under warranty then a charge to fix it. Before its fixed it usual to get your authorisation. How old is the player? What are the laws in Oz regarding sale of goods?

I would check with your dealer what the situation is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts