audiolab 8200cdq - shortlist amps & speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This is a strangely addictive pastime...I bought What Hifi a few months ago when considering a new tv, now I've been totally drawn in and am planning a hifi upgrade. I am very taken by the developing discussions around the audiolab 8200cdq (as well as the glowing reviews of the 8200cd) and have a few questions for the experts on this forum. I mainly listen to classical, especially renaissance choral music (also solo piano and orchestral), and also a big dollop of jazz. I'm trying to draw up a shortlist of speakers and amps to go with the cdq so I can have a comparative listening session next time I'm in NE Engand (the choice in N Ireland is a bit disappointing). From the various reviews I would be currently interested in comparing floorstanding speakers (eg MA RX6) to standmounters (eg Dynaudio DM 2/7); power amps under current consideration include audiolab's 8200p (2x8200 mbs being outside budget), and quad elite stereo. The room is long and narrow (c 3mx10m), with speakers either side of a chimney breast projecting across rather than along the room - so speakers 2m apart, listening spot 2m away.

Questions:

Floorstander vs standmounter at this kind of budget and this size of room for classical music - any views? What about the speakers mentioned - anything else that might compare favourably? A wildcard is EB Acoustics EB2, but mail order only so no comparative listening - anyone found this an attractive sound for classical?

Any alternatives for the budget (up to about £2.5k). I'm aware I've been rather sold on the cdq hype, but the upgradeability and use as a good quality dac appeals very much, as well as the excellent reports and alleged vfm.

I'd be very grateful for any advice, thanks.

A

Anonymous

I am waiting for the CDQ having auditioned the 8200CD and been happy. I'd suggest picking up a Quad 909 amp before then go end of line - years of refinement and less money than the Elite (but I'd wager just as good). The 909 was a revelation to me - just brilliant.

That's £1800 taken care of. Speakers - PMC TB2i's, but outside your price range. Suggestion? Buy Wharfdale Diamond 9.1's from Superfi for £100 before they run out of stock - put them on solid stands and save your money until you can afford the PMC's. If you are picky, the 9.1's are not perfect in some areas of tonal quality, but IMHO they have no vices which make then really enjoyable, can be listened to for hours and have a fantastic sound stage. For £100 quid they are an utter bargain. Many other speakers up to £1,500 give improvements to the Wharfedakes in some areas, but have vices in others (not acceptable if I am spending that much!!). The PMC's are tonally superior, but they are 13x more money. They don't have a preferred music - they sound great with no exception from Albinoni & Bach to Yazoo & ZZ Top. They need a good running in before they sound their best - they are a little restrained/clinical until they have a few hours behind them otherwise.

If you get them, give the 9.1's a days run in at medium volume before deciding you've wasted your money - out of the box they sounded dull in the mid-range and woolly in the bass. Days later they have changed beyond compare - punchy, great soundstage and mid-range clear. For £100 delivered they are worth a punt without audition in my view - you can always use them on a 2nd system if you don't like them, but I am keeping them as my mains until I can afford the PMC's. You may not need punchy with the music you listen to, but "punchy" means the bass is under control and you need that for all music. I guess the 909 helps keep the 9.1's honest as it takes a firm grip!

The only reason its addictive is when you have sub-optimal components - once you have a system that brings out your goose bumps, close your membership, don't buy any more magazines and just enjoy - constant questioning will just lead to a lack of enjoyment (I am not quite there yet, clearly, but I think I know what I want now to complete my system)

BTW - trust your own ears in the final analysis - I wasted some time chasing some highly regarded "5*" components I really did not like, thinking I needed to listen more or in a different way and I would "see the light", but it never came - after a few hours of listening my view of one set of speakers was the same as it was after 5 minutes. You should know when you have found it - if it does not amaze you, its not right, keep your wallet shut. That said, the PMC's were not an instant hit with me - you really need a dealer who will let you take the gear home for a couple of days.

A

Anonymous

Given your taste in music I'd forget Monitor Audio and instead concentrate on Sonus Faber, Chario or Totem for speakers. For amps I'd suggest valve or with a valve stage anyway, such as the Peachtree Nova or Unison Research.

Fisherking 145

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Can't help much I'm afraid, but I'm sure you'll love the CDQ. I auditioned an 8200CD with an 8200A amp and was blown away, and after a little reading on the world wide, decided to wait for the CDQ with it's built in pre-amp, hopefully giving me a bit of future proofing.

I've hooked mine up to my old 8000LX, which I have now configured in power amp mode, and it sounds superb, both with CD, and through the USB DAC. My Squeezebox doesn't sound that different through the optical input, but nevertheless, I'm well pleased with it.

From all accounts, using it with a well specced power amp, through balanced inputs, will bring the best out of it. However, everything has to be within peoples budgets, and if you're not willing to pay for the monoblocs I take it your budget is less than £1600. Good luck finding something suitable, I'm sure there are many on here who will point you in the right direction. Used/ex-demo could be the way to go, I know it's crossed my mind.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Quad 909 was indeed always a stunner. As another alternative the 8200A is an impressive new integrated and closer in spirit to the 8000A than the 8000S - a very good integrated. If you can stretch to it, the 8200Q and 8200P take some beating. We heard these all together recently and its a very impressive set-up challenging some very popular award winners of a similar all round cost.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
audioaffair said:
Quad 909 was indeed always a stunner. As another alternative the 8200A is an impressive new integrated and closer in spirit to the 8000A than the 8000S - a very good integrated. If you can stretch to it, the 8200Q and 8200P take some beating. We heard these all together recently and its a very impressive set-up challenging some very popular award winners of a similar all round cost.

I'd love to sit down and try out 8200Q with 8200P, 8200M, and 2 8200MBs. Have heard a lot of good things about CDQ + the MBs.

Freegoat said:
This is a strangely addictive pastime...I bought What Hifi a few months ago when considering a new tv, now I've been totally drawn in and am planning a hifi upgrade. I am very taken by the developing discussions around the audiolab 8200cdq (as well as the glowing reviews of the 8200cd) and have a few questions for the experts on this forum. I mainly listen to classical, especially renaissance choral music (also solo piano and orchestral), and also a big dollop of jazz. I'm trying to draw up a shortlist of speakers and amps to go with the cdq so I can have a comparative listening session next time I'm in NE Engand (the choice in N Ireland is a bit disappointing). From the various reviews I would be currently interested in comparing floorstanding speakers (eg MA RX6) to standmounters (eg Dynaudio DM 2/7); power amps under current consideration include audiolab's 8200p (2x8200 mbs being outside budget), and quad elite stereo. The room is long and narrow (c 3mx10m), with speakers either side of a chimney breast projecting across rather than along the room - so speakers 2m apart, listening spot 2m away.

Questions:

Floorstander vs standmounter at this kind of budget and this size of room for classical music - any views? What about the speakers mentioned - anything else that might compare favourably? A wildcard is EB Acoustics EB2, but mail order only so no comparative listening - anyone found this an attractive sound for classical?

Any alternatives for the budget (up to about £2.5k). I'm aware I've been rather sold on the cdq hype, but the upgradeability and use as a good quality dac appeals very much, as well as the excellent reports and alleged vfm.

I'd be very grateful for any advice, thanks.

Welcome...

Maybe I can help with this. About three weeks ago I took my Leema/Arcam CD73/RS6 speakers to a dealer to test some new speakers and cdps.

Speakers tested: PMC DB1is, Spendor A5, Focal 708V and Totem Arro.

CDPs tested: Cyrus CD6SE, Naim Nait 5i and Audiolab 8200.

The results were pretty much as expected: the Cyrus has huge powers of detail resolution and insight, while the Nait, although a little less detailed, gave more solidity to the music. The Audiolab is a really impressive all-rounder, enhanced by the DAC, but wasn't quite as organic sounding as the Nait.

The most impressive, and most versatile speakers by a country mile, were the Totems and PMCs. The Spendors were very good but found the presentation just slightly OTT for my taste. The Focals, likewise, were very good in most areas, but didn't quite have the all-round game of DB1i and Arro.

The dealer let me have both speakers for three days, although I'm hangin' fire on the CDP for the timebeing.

I have a similar size room to yours, firing across the narrow part, and both Totem and PMC sounded brilliant. The advantage the Totems have is flexibility: never experienced a speaker like this. Moreover, they are waif-like, discreet floostanders that punch like a heavy weight boxer, yet the levels of subtlety way beyond their size. The PMCs are also fantastic and they genuinely live up to the hype. Love both, can't really make a decision... yet!

If you look at Audiolab then the PMCs would be better suited, otherwise Totems.

Hope this helps.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
A bit off at tangent but I saw some active speakers at the Bristol show that would go well with the CDQ, The Rock not shire where you would get a demo but I think they would fit your needs.

I have a CDQ on order already have some B&W 805s, and have managed to pick up a used Bel Canto Evo 2 Power amp to go in between something like this used may be an option.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for all these helpful replies. Raising more questions than answers I think! Many suggestions are pushing past my budget though - say about £1500 for amp and speakers, give or take. If I was looking at eg Quad Elite (c£700) or Audiolab 8200p (c£600), that would leave max £800-900 for speakers (and stands if standmounters), hence initial shortlist of DM 2/7 and EB2. Any further suggestions around this kind of budget? I've already started rooting through ebay, but I've no experience buying hifi second hand so am a bit wary.

I'd read about the cdq sounding better with balanced outputs, but the 8200p can't take one. Perhaps in the longer term, moving on to new amp and speakers to further upgrade the cdq would be an option...but for now unfortunately I can't push the boat out that far.

Would love to have a listen to those PMCs and Totems though...

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Sorry thought the speaker and amp budget was 2.5, if you like the Audiolab you could look at the 8000 series try and pick up a Power amp or 2 Mono blocks, I have seen them going quite cheap if you can find stock, they will not be balanced but not sure you will find new for your budget. With your budget and older model may be more suitable, you can possibly get under budget and spend a little more on speakers.

Used there is lots out there but you are taking the risk and if you are not sure may be better to avoid.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Sorry thought the speaker and amp budget was 2.5, if you like the Audiolab you could look at the 8000 series try and pick up a Power amp or 2 Mono blocks, I have seen them going quite cheap if you can find stock, they will not be balanced but not sure you will find new for your budget. With your budget and older model may be more suitable, you can possibly get under budget and spend a little more on speakers.

Used there is lots out there but you are taking the risk and if you are not sure may be better to avoid.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
With respect to speakers just remembered I read a review where the CDQ was used in conjunction with some Dynaudio DM 2/6 ;Think the amp was Bryston which is over the top for your budget but the speakers may be worth an audition if you Google "Dynaudio DM 2/6 8200CDQ" you should find the article

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Helmut80 said:
audioaffair said:

I'd love to sit down and try out 8200Q with 8200P, 8200M, and 2 8200MBs. Have heard a lot of good things about CDQ + the MBs.

Definitely worth an audition - we were impressed with the improvements in 8200 pre/power combinations over the old 8000 and found the changes are far from cosmetic. CDQ with MB is also a fantastic set-up and future proof too.

A

Anonymous

Hi, just got a cdq few days ago, burning it in still-needs it imo-still too bright and too much even after 20 hours, but getting better by 30 hours-Im heading for the 40+ hrs burn time Im told it ideally needs.

i use it with monitor audio GR60's and tried it with my B&W dm602 s3. both sound great, more detail and separation and composure with the gr60's-ebay 2nd's.

i use 2 new audiolab 8000 mono's for power-easy to get at a good price like i did. i considered the 8200 monos but savings and vfm made me go 8000m.

consider active speakers and ebay 2nd's for speakers, ECB's and spendors are excellant and lovely but were out of my reach, but your room size is key for speakers. dont forget room acoustics - makes a huge differance to whatever kit you have.

was worried aftr hearing of some read probs but Mr Westlake himself did a firmware update on my silver cdq-so am chuffed and relaxed-not any cd read probs at all.

cheers

A

Anonymous

Hmm - I had wondered from the reviews, and my listening to the cdq, whether the new Audiolabs did verge towards the bright and hard, which seems from the above comments to be the case.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Grottyash said:
Hmm - I had wondered from the reviews, and my listening to the cdq, whether the new Audiolabs did verge towards the bright and hard, which seems from the above comments to be the case.

I never found it bright or harsh myself when I borrowed one for a weekend depends what you are used to and how it is partnered I guess, there are 6 filters on the DAC to choose from if you do not like the usual suspects, guess people just need to listen and make your own Mind up.

A

Anonymous

Slightly out of your budget but try and audition a pair of PMC TB2S-Aii with the CDQ. I spent about a month trying to work out the best way to match up the CDQ and originally looked at amps and passive speakers at a lower budget than yours.

Active speakers were clearly the better option and the PMCs clearly the best of several models I auditioned. You get the advantage of using the CDQ's balanced outputs, you can save hugely on interconnects and speaker cable and you cut at least one box out of your system. Balanced cable seems to be an intrinsically better design and I'm getting fantastic results from a pair of Neutrik terminated Van Damme tour grade quad mic cable - less than £40 for a 3-metre pair. Shop around and you should be able to get the PMCs for less than £2K.

Also think about hooking you CDQ up to your AV system via the optical or coaxial inputs. DAC does a great job with them too. Enjoy your shopping! -- Duncan

A

Anonymous

not so much bright as hard and busy-it separates and defines almost too well. but now, aftr 40hrs, is definite getting better-hopefully more time more better.

but as for sound - i know that the optimum transient filter is possibly the best ( and most detailed )but some of the other filters are not so bad - espec slow rolloff and optimum spectrum for easier/less fatigue listening.

thats one of the many good things about the cdq-the filters equals choice of sound and the future will have upgrades/additional filters for new sounds.

Im useing my monitor audio rsw12 sub to round off the sound and bass out the edges.

A

Anonymous

Although I ultimately opted for a separate CD Player and DAC in my main set-up, last year I looked into the issue of suitable power amps for use with the (at the time, soon-to-be-realeased) 8200CDQ and discovered the XTZ AP-100. This has selectable Class A (limited to 50W) or Class AB modes and also has balanced XLR inputs.....I think they are around £615 apiece. Maybe you could initially get one operated in stereo mode then upgrade to two in order to biamp at a later date (hence 100W of Class A power)?

As for speakers, given your taste in music and room size, I think you could do worse than to track down a used pair of Spendor s6e floorstanders as they have quite a rich laid back sound which would offset any harshness from the CDQ.

Anyway, best of luck with whatever you end up settling on.

A

Anonymous

Partial update on all the above. Finally booked a listening session. Will hear audiolab 8200cdq coupled with cyrus power amp, possibly audiolab 8200p (or 8200a if no power amp in stock), possibly quad elite. Speakers likely to include b&w, pmc and monitor audio. At the moment only looking to buy the cdp and get a taste for the different sounds associated with those brands of speaker and amp. Will prob compare 8200cdq to quad elite cdp, poss Rega Saturn and Cyrus 6cdse+.

Been keeping an eye on ebay and am likely to plump for s/h amp and speakers, figuring that if it's not quite right, can always sell them on without taking too much of a hit. I'm also limited in listening opportunities. Have watched bel canto power amps come and go (pair of M300 monoblocs, and S300 stereo amp) and would be interested in any views on these amps - am I likely to get an approximation from hearing Cyrus at demo? There is also an evo2 currently available.

There also seems to be a healthy trade in pmc db1/tb2 speakers so am looking forward to hearing these in the flesh (is flesh audible?). And I'm keeping an eye out for the other speakers fellow forum members kindly suggested.

Any thoughts on this general direction? Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Hi I am also in the process of deciding formy HIFI requirements (amplifier, CD player, tuner with DAB and preferably newtorkaccess).

The Cyrus and Audiolab interest me (also Nait uniti, Myrad MI and rotel RCX one package deals), but was interested in your experience Freegoat on the Audiolab and Cyrus hearing test....

I am thinking between cyrus 6 series and Auiolab 8200CDQ + 8200P (since the 8200A did not get so great reviews in the what hifi test) with the 8200T. Maybe I should take the 8200CD(Q) and 8200T only and put the cyrus 6XP or Nait 5i on it. I want to pair it to Neat Motive 2SE (or 1), Audio Physic Yara Superior II, Davone Rithm or BW CM8 speakers.

Twilight said:
Hi I am also in the process of deciding formy HIFI requirements (amplifier, CD player, tuner with DAB and preferably newtorkaccess).

The Cyrus and Audiolab interest me (also Nait uniti, Myrad MI and rotel RCX one package deals), but was interested in your experience Freegoat on the Audiolab and Cyrus hearing test....

I am thinking between cyrus 6 series and Auiolab 8200CDQ + 8200P (since the 8200A did not get so great reviews in the what hifi test) with the 8200T. Maybe I should take the 8200CD(Q) and 8200T only and put the cyrus 6XP or Nait 5i on it. I want to pair it to Neat Motive 2SE (or 1), Audio Physic Yara Superior II, Davone Rithm or BW CM8 speakers.

Welcome...

I do get a little concerned when people hang so much on reviews. True, the Audiolab received a 4 star rating, but that doesn't mean it isn't immensely capable. Most of my previous amps have had 4 stars, get the synergy right and they are as good (sometimes better) then 5 star recipients. As I always say, go and listen for yourself and test your own apathy. Remember, test reviews is NOT an exact science.

TRENDING THREADS