Audiolab 8200CD - bass performance

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello to all! Let me 1st introduce myself - my name is Sean & I am from Canada. I am joining this forum as I own almost all British gear and find it hard to get good info in North America about the equipment I am interested in. So there.

I have been looking at the Audiolab 8200CD for a while - I do not have a chance to hear one in person, so my question to any owners is: How is the bass response? I am looking for a player with deep and tuneful bass - I have no time for lean sounding players.

Welcome to the forum Sean.

Could you tell us your current system, amp, source, speakers etc.? I've heard the 8200 a couple of months ago. But component matching is more about style of music you like and what sort of sound you expect as opposed to review or star rating.

For example do you listen to a lot of "heavier" music? Or are you partial to some softer, "middle of the road" stuff?

Cheers, pp

rocker said:
Hello to all! Let me 1st introduce myself - my name is Sean & I am from Canada. I am joining this forum as I own almost all British gear and find it hard to get good info in North America about the equipment I am interested in. So there.

I have been looking at the Audiolab 8200CD for a while - I do not have a chance to hear one in person, so my question to any owners is: How is the bass response? I am looking for a player with deep and tuneful bass - I have no time for lean sounding players.

Hi Sean

Fwiw, I've put the 8200CD through its paces by listening to the player through ATC's SCA2 Reference pre amplifier and SCM100ASL Professional monitors. I certainly found the 8200CD's bass to be deep, potent, tight, tuneful and with drive
smiley-smile.gif

Anyway just to get a clearer picture of your existing components, room and any other requirements -

What source component/s, amplification and speakers are you currently using?

How would you describe the performance of your existing component/s and the system as a whole?

What do you and anyone else who is also likely to use the system listen to?

The size of your room?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

Your listening distance?

Your general listening level?

What attracted you to the 8200CD?

Will also be using the 8200CD as a DAC? If so, what other source/s will you connect to the 8200CD?

The interconnect/s and speaker cables you'll be using are?

Your overall budget?

Apart from LF performance what kind of presentation are you looking for the system as a whole to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

I am running a Sugden A21a v.2 into some ART Skibo monitors with Townshend DCT cable - I also have a Rel Strata III for the low end. I live in a large 800 sq ft open floor plan loft. I currently use a Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP - it has good warm bass but lacks a little with air and detail. I know the Audiolab is reported to be excellent with highs and detail...plus, I can get one for a very decent price.

A

Anonymous

Rocker,

If you are after an improvement on bass response of your system, you should firstly replace your amp before thinking of purchasing a new CD player. Your amp is awesome (very smoth, detailed and warm), a well engineered class A amp indeed, but with regard to bass lines it lacks authority.

The easiest way of achieving that gol would be an acquisition of a class A-B amp, but I reckon you want to avoid trade-offs in sound quality. If so, an natural option would be a huge pure class A amp, like Accuphase E-560, Luxman L-590A II or Musical Fidelity AMS35i. All of them are rated about 30wpc, but believe me, they are actually much more powerful than their specifications suggest. By getting one of those integrated amps, you'll have the best of both worlds (improved dynamics and bass authority of class A-B and delicacy and refinement of class A topology).

rocker said:
I am running a Sugden A21a v.2 into some ART Skibo monitors with Townshend DCT cable - I also have a Rel Strata III for the low end. I live in a large 800 sq ft open floor plan loft. I currently use a Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP - it has good warm bass but lacks a little with air and detail. I know the Audiolab is reported to be excellent with highs and detail...plus, I can get one for a very decent price.

Given the Sugden has a lovely full-bodied sound, the Audiolab should compliment it well. It's a very good all-rounder. The bass is deep and fast but other brands may sound a little 'fuller' in the bass region, such as Roksan Caspian, Exposure...

That said, it should do most things very well.

rocker said:

Hi rocker

Thanks for your reply.

The Audiolab 8200CD should be fine in your system. The 8200CD is quite different to the NJ 4000 however you can also use its variable filters to see which one offers you the ideal balance :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Audio Maniac said:
Rocker,

If you are after an improvement on bass response of your system, you should firstly replace your amp before thinking of purchasing a new CD player. Your amp is awesome (very smoth, detailed and warm), a well engineered class A amp indeed, but with regard to bass lines it lacks authority.

Sell the Sugden - NEVER! I owned an A21a v.1 for 20 years...I will be using my new A21a v.2 for years to come.

A

Anonymous

I didn't wrote your Sugden is bad. Not at all! Acutually, I adore your amp too but regarding the fact it's not the world's most authoritive amp in relation to dynamics and punch, it's undeniable. There's no miracle, as a pure class A amp, it's a low efficience amplifier and is not capable of delivering high amounts of current thru its outputs as an class A-B amp of similar size and weight.

Anyway, that was only a suggestion! Sorry for that if I offended you.

By the way, in my opinion, Sugden A21 deserves a more refined digital source than the mentioned Audiolab 8200.

rocker said:
Audio Maniac said:
Rocker,

Sell the Sugden - NEVER! I owned an A21a v.1 for 20 years...I will be using my new A21a v.2 for years to come.

A

Anonymous

No offence taken Audio Maniac - my set-up is well balanced for my ears. I just like a cdp that can groove to Geezer Butler and Gustav Mahler without sounding anemic....I would love to try an Austin Trew or a Lector but they are big $$$.

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
I've had my 8200CD for a couple of weeks now and i cant recommend it enough, its superb. my mac sounds great through it too.

If you can get one at a good price and the guys on here say it will match your existing gear then its a no brainer
smiley-wink.gif

Cheers Ed

TRENDING THREADS