Question Audiolab 8000S & 8000SX - best modern bi-amp speakers to match?

JulianDH

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
My Audiolab powerhouse has come out of venerable retirement and seeks matching pair to enjoy mutual interests including classical, opera, rock etc etc. Will be streaming based Tidal HiFi as well as FLAC AAC library. What do we think? Anybody got experience of old Audiolab and modern speakers? Keep safe and 😃

mikeyc38

Oct 26, 2020
Visit site
Hi JulianDH

This is exactly the setup I have but I am currently running Mission 782 bi-amped and wow -weight, power, dynamics and authority. However, I suspect the mid-range units on the Missions are failing so I am considering the Ffyne Audio F303 which are biamp-able for around £700. I love the sound of my system with the missions, which I may fix by getting replacement mid-range units from Audax...

Hope this helps

Michael

moomonkey

Mar 1, 2024
Visit site
I'm obviously very late to this thread, but for anyone coming this way in future…

I also have a pair of 8000S and SX amps, and would wholeheartedly recommend bi-amping them.

I really enjoy mine with some Neat Mystique II speakers (small floorstanders), and have actually spoken to Bob Sturgeon (founder of Neat) about this. He asked me what I was running them with, and when I told him Bob said "bi-amping does make a difference, doesn't it".

These days a lot of manufacturers seem to be of the view that bi-amping doesn't make any difference. Maybe their designs are different, but with these 20 year old amps, the difference is quite noticeable. Subtle, but noticeable.

Coincidentally, I also use LMS with piCorePlayer (such a wonderful system) and also used to have a pair of Mission 782 floorstanders! They were great, but too big for any of my lounges. Hence the Neat's.

moomonkey

Mar 1, 2024
Visit site
I think you can probably expect 1 or 2 in every 100 people who come across a thread to bother signing up for a forum, just to comment in a dead thread. I feel 99% would just read the comments and move on with their research, elsewhere…

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts