Audioengine a5+ vs q acoustics bt3

Hello, I want to buy a pair of powered speakers and I am considering the AudioEngine a5+ and the Q acoustics BT3, I will add a subwoofer, and I will pair them with a Meridian Explorer2 DAC, (will this work with the BT3 that already ahve a dac?)

The a5+ are cheaper where I live ( around 80 american dollars less), I hear Indie, rock, classic, and I will use them for movies also.

Thank you a lot for your help

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The QAcoustics have very good reviews, and not just on english speaking sites/mags.

There was a guy on here, very fussy (and why not) which bought the BT3's and used them with a Meridian DAC (and a Chord DAC).

He seemed to settle in with the QAcoustics but I haven't seen him on here since.

Of the two they would probably my choice.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Carlos Ortiz De Zevallos Eguiluz said:
Hello, I want to buy a pair of powered speakers and I am considering the AudioEngine a5+ and the Q acoustics BT3, I will add a subwoofer, and I will pair them with a Meridian Explorer2 DAC, (will this work with the BT3 that already ahve a dac?)

The a5+ are cheaper where I live ( around 80 american dollars less), I hear Indie, rock, classic, and I will use them for movies also.

Thank you a lot for your help

I think a lot will depend on prices in your particular market. In the UK prices are similar though good 'deals' are more likely to be found on the BT3 than the A5+.

In general, the A5+ is slightly bigger and sounds it, the BT3 though, has an onboard dac and Bluetooth, great if you want them, waste of money if you don't.

Both have a choice of input and remote control of volume. This is important if you need it and rules out better sounding products from the 'pro' market, such as models by Presonus and Equator Audio which are very sensibly priced (assuming you are in the US)

To be honest, both models are limited in performance (by their price) so it is really just a choice of which 'sound' you prefer, difficult if you can not hear them locally, any recommendation you get will simply be one persons view, other views will be available.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
would the yamaha HS5 be any good for music and movies? (I do not mix) I would add a subwoofer.

Yes.

I think that the HS5 are the best speakers available for the price. They and work well with the matching Yamaha subwoofer too which will add a lot to the experience, especially when used with movies and dance music.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
would the yamaha HS5 be any good for music and movies? (I do not mix) I would add a subwoofer.

Yes.

I think that the HS5 are the best speakers available for the price. They and work well with the matching Yamaha subwoofer too which will add a lot to the experience, especially when used with movies and dance music.

Whilst what you say is fair enough, the issue in this case is one of functionality.

The OP wishes to use both a Meridian dac (why this dac?) for music and a TV/video player for movies. He will need to be able to switch inputs and adjust volume, neither of which are practical with the HS5.

Adding any sort of useable dac/pre-amp adds considerably to the cost as you well know. Sure you might be able to find a used AVR with the required functionality but again, one that has up to date facilities and the requisite connections may push the budget.

That said, if movie playback is important then this is a good solution, it allows bass management and the ability to add a centre channel (later if necessary) which makes all the difference. Cost is the only issue.

davedotco said:
steve_1979 said:

Yes.

Whilst what you say is fair enough, the issue in this case is one of functionality.

The OP wishes to use both a Meridian dac (why this dac?) for music and a TV/video player for movies. He will need to be able to switch inputs and adjust volume, neither of which are practical with the HS5.

Adding any sort of useable dac/pre-amp adds considerably to the cost as you well know. Sure you might be able to find a used AVR with the required functionality but again, one that has up to date facilities and the requisite connections may push the budget.

That said, if movie playback is important then this is a good solution, it allows bass management and the ability to add a centre channel (later if necessary) which makes all the difference. Cost is the only issue.

thank you for your answers, the dac is only because I have it, but I dont need necessarily to use it, they would only be connected to the comptuer, I do everything from it, is the AVR a requirement for the yamaha? (excuse the ignorance, I am REALLY new to the world of speakers, I was preety satisfied with headphones until recently).

again thanks to both for your answers

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Is what it is all about.

For example; My desktop system is Music > computer > dac > active speakers.

The music is on the computer, the dac is a simple digital in analogue out (with no other functionality) and my active speakers are functionally identical to the HS5s (single input, no usable volume control). Music is selected and controlled by the computer which also controls the listening volume.

It is simple and works fine. However if I wanted to play my TV through that system (it has digital out) I have no way of doing so as the dac, like the Meridien, has no input switching or volume control.

If you are watching movies etc on the computer then it should work but there may be issues. Modern dacs, use various techniques to 'manage' the incoming data to provide the best quality, this takes a measurable period of time and is call contention. This means that the audio lags behind the video which suffers no such issue.

Depending on the dac and other issues this lag might be completely inaudible or quite obvious and a complete PITA. For no critical use it might well be absolutely fine.

davedotco said:
Is what it is all about.

The music is on the computer, the dac is a simple digital in analogue out (with no other functionality) and my active speakers are functionally identical to the HS5s (single input, no usable volume control). Music is selected and controlled by the computer which also controls the listening volume.

It is simple and works fine. However if I wanted to play my TV through that system (it has digital out) I have no way of doing so as the dac, like the Meridien, has no input switching or volume control.

If you are watching movies etc on the computer then it should work but there may be issues. Modern dacs, use various techniques to 'manage' the incoming data to provide the best quality, this takes a measurable period of time and is call contention. This means that the audio lags behind the video which suffers no such issue.

Depending on the dac and other issues this lag might be completely inaudible or quite obvious and a complete PITA. For no critical use it might well be absolutely fine.

great information

one last question, comparing all of the above to a PRO-JECT STEREO BOX S PHONO + Q ACOUSTICS 3010 (again, i would add a subwoofer)

(they have offered me a good price for both if I buy them in combo), would there be a good differnece? the seller tells me that combo is better than the a5+ or bt3

thanks again

pd: it's all via email, i actually cant try them

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Is what it is all about.

great information

one last question, comparing all of the above to a PRO-JECT STEREO BOX S PHONO + Q ACOUSTICS 3010 (again, i would add a subwoofer)

(they have offered me a good price for both if I buy them in combo), would there be a good differnece? the seller tells me that combo is better than the a5+ or bt3

thanks again

Everybody has got one.

As I said much earlier, these are budget components and it will all depend on the designer. I like proper active speakers like the Presonus and Yamahas mentioned earlier.

I like them because the sound is tighter, more dynamic and has greater presence.

Some dislike them because they interpret the same sound as lacking in warmth, forward and lacking smoothness...*unknw*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
davedotco said:
Is what it is all about.

great information

thanks again

Everybody has got one.

As I said much earlier, these are budget components and it will all depend on the designer. I like proper active speakers like the Presonus and Yamahas mentioned earlier.

I like them because the sound is tighter, more dynamic and has greater presence.

Some dislike them because they interpret the same sound as lacking in warmth, forward and lacking smoothness...*unknw*

Luckily, Nurofen is cheap these days

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
davedotco said:
davedotco said:
Is what it is all about.

great information

thanks again

Everybody has got one.

Luckily, Nurofen is cheap these days

*ROFL*

davedotco said:
davedotco said:
Is what it is all about.

great information

thanks again

Everybody has got one.

Would you prefer the Presonus erin 5 or yamaha hs5?(for the purposes above), presonus is cheaper here in Chile (about 130 american dollars less here)

I think I will pair any of those with a Jamo 210 sub

thanks

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Value for money has to be assessed in your own market, in the uk a pair of Eris 5s are almost £100 cheaper than the HS5s, that is the HS5s are virtually half as much again..! That's a lot.

The Eris 44 is a new model that I have not yet heard, in the UK it is double the price of the Eris 5.

One thought, if you are definitely going for a sub, why buy the bigger speaker?

davedotco said:
Value for money has to be assessed in your own market, in the uk a pair of Eris 5s are almost £100 cheaper than the HS5s, that is the HS5s are virtually half as much again..! That's a lot.

The Eris 44 is a new model that I have not yet heard, in the UK it is double the price of the Eris 5.

in terms of sound quality?

are you referring to the eris 44? I don't know the desing seems interesting, and they dont seem to hold much bass either ( 55 Hz – 22 kHz) so I guess a sub would still be neccesary,

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:

in terms of sound quality?

are you referring to the eris 44? I don't know the desing seems interesting, and they dont seem to hold much bass either ( 55 Hz – 22 kHz) so I guess a sub would still be neccesary,

At this level is pretty competitive, you get a lot for your money.

Bass quality and quality is entirely subjective, speakers of this type, even quite small ones like the Eris 5 tend to 'punch' much harder in the bass than the specs might suggest, untimate extension might still be lacking, but they can sound very convincing on most music.

If I wanted a bit deeper bass I would move up to the Eris 8 or Yamaha HS7 rather than add a sub, but that is me. In my room Eris 8s, with the bass shelving turned down gave me all the bass I needed, but then I want bass that is tight and punchy, any hint of boom and the speaker is gone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts