Audio Research PH1 v Tom Evans Microgroove Plus

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
I've been thinking about upgrading my pre amp. The newer AR amps don't have a phono stage. I know someone who might be prepared to part with their AR PH1, but there is also a Tom Evans unit available elsewhere.
Can anyone give me any advice as to the pros & cons of both?

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

T

the record spot

I think you might struggle to get too many opinions on that on here, although some of the staff might well be able to help. Check out the Steve Hoffman site - he's a US based recording engineer and his forum is a treasure trove. Sign up (free) and go to the Audio Hardware section.

For what it's worth, I've heard good things about the Tom Evans and Audio Research is so far out my reach it's untrue. Have you considered the Eastern Electric Minimax Phono Stage too? Also gets good reports in despatches I hear...

T

the record spot

Just remembered Icon Audio have a very well reviewed phono stage which is UK manufactured and comes in around the £600 mark or thereabouts. Very close performer to the Minimax apparently which is about £300 pricier. Again, maybe not what you wanted, but at least gives some more options.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts