Audio quality from computer

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi,I have a bog standard Asus home computer that I use Foobar on running bit perfect to a dac(I go between a marantz hd dac and an audio lab m dac)then to a Primare amp and then to b&w cm1 speakers. My question is,is the computer a weak link in terms of quality(I use alac files)would a dedicated music server give me a much better source.i tend to sit at a desk on the computer and have my stereo right beside me,so I don't need streaming or even a remote.basically is it just digital is digital,the digital source does not matter.thanks.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
A lot people use bog standard computers or laptops as music sources and are happy.

Others take it to extremes and supply individual power to each element of the computer, optimise the OS, optimise bios, use other things to improve their PC as a dedicated digial source,

I am in the latter camp - I would advise you try some things out and see if you can hear the difference.

You can try these for free

1. JPlay - free demo of this available

2. Fidelizer - free demo available

3. Try JPLay in hibernation mode - see if you can hear a difference whena lot of the pc is shut down - if you do then pc optimisation makes sense.

Then if you want to pursue this you will get much better advise on this from computeraudiophile and jplay forums than this forum.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Another one is Computer Audio Design - there are windows optimisation scripts you can run that shut down a lot of service etc on the computer for better sound.

These are free and there are revert scripts you can run to put things back to normal - however please dont do this if you are not sure about it.

Also these are designed for dedicated computers not general computers as a lot of everyday windows servcies etc are shut down and wont work.

Best of luck

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
There are other players but for me JPlay and the advice on the forum from other members has been priceless. Especially now you dont need to use JRiver.

This might be a step on for you, however if you follow the advice on the Jplay forum and build a dedicated computer for audio you wont look back. It can be a very frustrating thing to do as its not always straight forward but ultimately its well worth it.

Also bear in mind if you use JPlay the free demo getting the settings right is essential as it really chages the sound.

If you are running windows 8 /10 make sure you select ultrastream as the playback engine instead of classic or extreme.

Extreme is worth trying some people prefer it but for me Ultrastream is far better. Taxes your computer much less.

Then you have dac link and buffer settings - these change presentation as well and it depends on the dac as to what works best so try changing them a bit as well.

Register on the jplay forum and you will get really good advice on there

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
This might help explain what I was saying before. This is my office computer setup but that is the settings I use on my audio pc

jp_zpswtrp4brw.jpg

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
This might help explain what I was saying before. This is my office computer setup but that is the settings I use on my audio pc
Are we cool? I would like us to be friends again?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You can read that or try it yourself free - I know who's opinion I care most about and that is my own. And I am sure its your opnion only that you care about.

A lot that is written about JPlay is old - its moved on loads in the last year or so anything that is not written within the last few months is old hat anyway and not relevant either.

Last post on that thread is 2014 - very old hat in the world of computer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts