Audio Player Suggestions for Apple Lossless Files?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello I've been having a terrible time with J River Media Center (it really hogs processor with two processes) and Monkey Media (a bit unstable but also has started randomly stopping at the end of some tracks, not others). I'm not a big fan of foobar2000 or itunes, but most of my library (17000 tracks and counting) is in Apple Lossless format - along with some flac. Any suggestions? I think I need to avoid a player that palms off the ALAC to itunes... Any help appreciated Pete

A

Anonymous

you don't say if ur pc or mac.

If pc then try winamp, with the winamp essentials plugin. It will play virtually any audio except drm.

A

Anonymous

Sorry, I'm a windows 7 user. I've never liked the winamp interface - has it improved? Basically all i need from an interface is something like Media Monkey (multiple column sorting, search by text, recent imports automatic playlisting, album covers nice to have). I still use itunes to rip cds / integrate with iphone.

A

Anonymous

if thats all u want then its definitely worth trying.

U can make the interface look like whatever u want with 1000's of skins.

The main thing is - its very fast !

If ur not going to use it to rip or re-encode then the free version is fine.

SteveR750

peteAllen:HelloI've been having a terrible time with J River Media Center (it really hogs processor with two processes) and Monkey Media (a bit unstable but also has started randomly stopping at the end of some tracks, not others). I'm not a big fan of foobar2000 or itunes, but most of my library (17000 tracks and counting) is in Apple Lossless format - along with some flac. Any suggestions? I think I need to avoid a player that palms off the ALAC to itunes...Any help appreciatedPete

What is going on exactly?

I've found the support forum very helpful.

A

Anonymous

iTunes is no good for hi res.

media center sometimes runs like a dog especially with a process called jrRunner as far as i remember. But also, even if it is not taking up more than say 20%, other apps work much smoother as soon as i close it. I thought this was to do with ALAC / maybe having to use the itunes process to handle this, but actually I get the same kind of problem with flac files :(

I will try out win amp later, thanks

A

Anonymous

Ah, I hadn't realised this was possible with itunes, but i think i was confusing it with the iphone. Thanks guys. Will itunes use wasabi or whatever on windows 7? :)

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
DavieCee:and my 24/192 Flacs converted to Apple Lossless.

Apologies for the thread hi-jack. How did you convert your Flac files to Apple Lossless? All my music is in Flac right now and I've had to use AAC through Media Monkey to get it on my iPhone

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I use xAct (free software) to convert any files into the format of my choice, Apple Lossless in this case. I can also use it if I want to copy the files to Windows friendly files for use on the work's PC.

I then use iTunes for playing the Lossless files at home and have the sync option to downsize all music to 128 kbps to my iPhone. Best of all worlds. I would like the option to be at 256 kbps in a perfect world.

I am on a Mac if that makes any software compatible differences.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I'm on a PC so would have to look into the Software when I get home. MM will convert to several formats and sync them to the phone on the fly, which although slow, is very useful. Sadly AIFF or ALAC isn't on the list.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
dbPoweramp worked well for me on PC. I converted a number of FLAC files (24/48, 24/96, 24/192) to apple lossless

TRENDING THREADS