Audio format on Freeview HD?

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Finally I've got Freeview HD ! (YouView). What audio format should I get on the HD channels? My amp is displaying Pro Logic, the same as SD channels, is this right? Shouldn't I be getting Dolby Digital or better?

A

Anonymous

Hi Roger

Not every broadcast on an HD channel actually is sent out with 5.1 sound (HE-AAC 5.1), but for those programmes where it is, the software update being rolled out by YV now includes support for conversion to DD 5.1 output from the box's S/P DIF socket.

The exact update timescale depends on whether your box is retail, BT, or TT.

Retail- from end of October

BT-from today on

TT-follows after BT

If it's a Humax box (retail or BT) you can check which software version you have via blue y button, Settings, System Information, Software Version. If it's 7.10.0 (like my BT Humax box), you haven't had the update yet and won't have 5.1 from the socket. If it's 8.4.20, you should. Optical between the box and your amp and you're away.

More info here - if you can stand the *bitching* :type::

http://community.youview.com/youview/topics/software_release_october_2012

HTH.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks that's really useful - mine could be updating right now then!?

I'm surprised YV doesn't have YouTube. It's very frustrating that all these TV boxes only seem to do about 80% of what you want! I'll still have to fire up my Apple TV for YouTube which is a pain...

A

Anonymous

I know. Maybe we'll never see 1 box doing *everything*. Our TV has BBC iPlayer (but not ITV Player, nor the C4/5 equivalents), and Lovefilm, Youtube etc, but I get all the players on my YV box. Between them I can access eveything I want. Just the slight niggle switching sources according to need.

Then there's the blu ray for when we want 100% HD. Then there's the PC for player content not licensed for TV's !

Oh well. Keeps us busy ;)

PS updating normally runs overnight.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Mine's on version 7.10.0 and I hope this software update does more than just sort out the audio and fixes loads of bugs, as so far, I'm finding this YouView a total load of rubbish and I'm about ready to send it back to BT.

It's slow, it freezes, the EPG takes an age to load and going back for catch-up takes even longer, if it loads at all. Pressing the info button when watching TV takes 20 - 25 seconds to display. Unbeleivable, on my old Humax it was instant.

The most annoying thing though is that it's connected to my router and internet but almost always fails to load any catchup TV, giving error YVM104 or YVM105.

Right, rant over...

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Yes BT indeed ! :)

It's OK once it's been running a while but the first two evenings it's needed at least one reboot. I'll certainly wait for the software update, it may have happened last night.

I get about 8 - 10meg tyically and my BB is pretty stable...

A

Anonymous

A stable connection running at 8-10 Mb can handle anything YV can throw at it. If it's still flaky after the update I'd raise it on the BT community forum as the mods there get involved with customer issues. Worth a try as the alternative is a call centre on the sub-continent :wall:

Good luck.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
It seems to be settling down a bit now. I did turn it on when I got home so had longer before I used it so maybe that helped. I watched a catch-up of Grand Designs, which was mostly OK, but it did start stopping and breaking up towards the end with a message about insufficient bandwidth. But after a minute or so it was OK.

Any idea why is plays shows like the Simpsons and Family Guy in 4:9 ? Every other TV we have and the old Humax played them widescreen like everything else... I can't find any setting about aspect ratio.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts