Audio connection between oldish amp & newish TV

justinjured

Jun 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi all
I have a Marantz PM7003 amp circa 2009 and can't get any audio from my TV which is an FS500 series Panasonic. I'm trying to link via RCA cables. Is this because the output from the tv is digital and the amp isn't able to convert this?
Is there an easy solution to this, or is it a good excuse for an amp upgrade?
Thanks

Given the amp's age, I doubt it includes and form of digital to analogue conversion - you therefore need a separate DAC or an amp that includes such a thing.

Does the TV not have analogue audio outputs? These would work with a conventional amp - time to dust off the manual (or find it online).

D

Deleted member 108165

Does the TV have a headphone socket?

Appears that it does - 3.5mm headphone jack to interconnect cable is what you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jjbomber
D

Deleted member 160668

Just because it may be helpful to someone... if you have Virgin as your TV provider in the back of the V+ box (I forget name, whatever latest one is) is a 3.5mm headphone jack. As mentioned above a 3.5mm jack to RCA phone lead for a couple of quid and bingo, sorted.

Works a treat for me.

D

Deleted member 108165

As mentioned above a 3.5mm jack to RCA phone lead for a couple of quid and bingo, sorted.
That's the word I was looking for: 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA phono lead... totally escaped me earlier :)

D

Deleted member 108165

Its an Arcam CD73T bought around 2005! Has Coxial and Optical digital outputs.
Outputs only, that's unfortunate, guess the best route is the headphone out on the TV to the amp then. Fit the lead and max out the headphone volume in your TV settings and use your amp to control the volume required.

Reactions: justinjured

myrrhman

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
Appreciate the headphone to RCA solution is way cheaper, but adding a DAC to your system would likely improve sound quality - the TV will have an optical output which can feed into the DAC, which is then connected to your amp by RCA interconnects. You can also route the CD optical or coaxial outputs through it to see if it improves CD sound quality too.

Reactions: justinjured

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts