Audible differences: DAC/AMPS

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
Hello, I decided to purchase the Sennheiser HD599. They were on sale for 100 bucks, I really liked the sound since it's not piercing or extremely bright. Also tried the HD560s, which had a terrific midrange but the trebble was to much for me. I'm listening music through Tidal and my local library, mainly 16/44.1. A few months ago I purchased a dongle dac (Hiby FC1), before that I was using my S10e (Exynos) as a source. The volume between this last two was pretty similar. However, I've been reading about the marvelous LG V30 Quad dac and MQA support. I bought a used one for 200 bucks, to use it only as DAP. This has the highest volumen and power. The thing is I don't notice a night and day difference between the three. I did some quick test and I think LG V30 is a more detailed. The thing is I can still return the LG V30 and buy somehing else, for example, another pair of headphones with a different sound signture. I have heard good reviews about the Zorloo Ztella, and some chinese DAPs. I'm really concern about this, I just don't want to loose money on marginal and barely audible differences.

shadders

Hi,
The night and day differences in DAC's you read about in magazines, and more specifically on forums, just does not exist. There are some direct and honest people who sell hifi and they say the same thing on forums.

The differences are slight, so just pick the one you prefer, under no pressure to believe that you must have the best etc., or lost money.

Regards,
Shadders.

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi,
The night and day differences in DAC's you read about in magazines, and more specifically on forums, just does not exist. There are some direct and honest people who sell hifi and they say the same thing on forums.

The differences are slight, so just pick the one you prefer, under no pressure to believe that you must have the best etc., or lost money.

Regards,
Shadders.
I really believe a better DAC/AMP would be a nice upgrade, but for more expensive and harder to drive headphones. I'm returning the LG V30. Thanks for being so honest.

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
DACS and AMPS can sound very different depending how much noise is present in the DAC and AMP. Decent equipment should give you the full audible range, and deliver it to your ears without distortion at all volumes.

Sliced Bread

IME dac changes are the sort of changes that initially seem very subtle, but start to be appreciated more in the long term. With that said some can sound near identical. I sold my chord mojo because it sounded almost identical to the dac in the Yamaha a3060 which I was using at the time (through speakers not headphones). This could be the dacs sound similar or the amplifier wasn’t good enough to expose the difference, but either way I’d suggest trying before buying.

Amplifiers on the other hand, or dacs with amplifiers are a different matter. Amps can make a HUGE difference and I’ve never owned two amplifiers that sounded the same.

abacus

DACs can sound different depending on the quality of the components and design; however the differences are not that great, but like all things Hi-Fi it comes down to synergy (How well everything works together) which is why trying before you buy is of paramount importance.

Amps can also sound different (For the same reason as DACs) but again it is very small if they are used within their limitations, however unlike DACs how the amp sounds with a speaker (Which is not just a resistive load) can make a huge difference due to how the 2 interact, (This is why one amp will sound great with one set of speakers, but absolutely s*** with another set) of course if you can afford a high end amp with massive power supply and output stages then the sound will not change no matter what speaker you put on the end. (This is why trying before you buy is of paramount importance)

When it comes down to it, everybody’s perception of sound is different (Hence what sounds great to one person sounds s*** to another) so again try before you buy.

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts