Atmos

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
If you don't want to run cables though your ceiling then the high up on the walls - where walls meet ceiling - is far and away better than modules sitting on top of speakers or "Atmos enabled" ceiling bouncers, which can be very hit or miss - and mostly miss.

Unless your SWMBO can live with cables running up the walls, how you run and hide the cables, however, is probably as fraught with problems as installing in ceiling speakers, however...

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
In DTS neural X mode. And as stated by me in one of my last posts. It sounds spectacular to me. The system creates a sound envelope that you just sit in. And there is no way I can make out what is coming out of which speaker. I love this. In comparison my two channel setup sounds just like two boxes throwing out a image. Doesn't quiet envelope the way neural X does.

As regards movies, I have 6 Atmos discs. But no uhd player yet. But I watch even normal movies in DTS neural X . Yes....including my daughter's cartoons :)

Sliced Bread

Benedict_Arnold said:
If you don't want to run cables though your ceiling then the high up on the walls - where walls meet ceiling - is far and away better than modules sitting on top of speakers or "Atmos enabled" ceiling bouncers, which can be very hit or miss - and mostly miss.

Unless your SWMBO can live with cables running up the walls, how you run and hide the cables, however, is probably as fraught with problems as installing in ceiling speakers, however...

Thanks for the suggestion Benedict. I considered this option but came to the same conclusion as yourself. I’ll still have to channel through the walls to make it tidy so I might as well go for the real deal :)

Made a deal with the better half. I can do it, but need to wait until we decorate the living room later in the year, so we get it all done at once. It’s fair I suppose :)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
That's where the coving comes in. There aren't usually any joists or other barriers inside coving, so once you get up inside it, its a doddle to use a fish tape to pull cables through.

leenorm1

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
well done that man. Atmos doesn’t have to be hard to install and the benefits are fantastic. Hiding the cables in coving is a great idea, we have installed a few using that method along with curved corner trunking from D line which can be painted or Acoustic corner panels to hide the wires. Now Sky Q are showing films in Atmos as well as many other platforms there is no better time to get into atmos. Q Acoustics ceiling speakers can be had for around £180 a pair so the expense isn’t huge. One of our demo rooms measures 3m x 3.5m and we have got 5.2.4 atmos with a separate Hifi system, 120 inch screen and a 55 inch TV with plenty of space for furniture etc. In fact the female visitors always comment how nice it is so I would not say that Atmos dominates the room.

Sliced Bread

Benedict_Arnold said:
That's where the coving comes in. There aren't usually any joists or other barriers inside coving, so once you get up inside it, its a doddle to use a fish tape to pull cables through.

good point. Maybe I can use that so I don’t have to channel through 15 foot of ceiling, then come in from the sides

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts