Atmos

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Just checked my media room and it measures 19 ft long x 12 ft 6 wide, with the TV mounted on one of the shorter walls.

The overheads that are in use are mounted about 5 feet in from the end (short) walls and about 4 feet in from the side (long) walls. The fronts, sides and rears are mounted about 5 feet off the floor, not ideal, but a compromise between sound and aesthetics (otherwise known as "the wife"). The fronts and backs are in line with each other and the Atmos overheads, the sides are about half-way down the room, give or take.

Yes I can discern the Atmos effects very well indeed, even in that relatively small space, but you have to have a movie with some Atmos-ey effects there to begin with.

All those Marvel Superman vs. The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders movies tend to, as do sci-fi movies like The Martian, Gravity, etc. plus others like Sully and Apollo 13. Provided you buy the Atmos encoded versions of the discs, of course, which isn't a given. DTS:X is far more prevalent and you have to use DTS:NeuralX or other means of "upmixing" to pseudo-Atmos.

Anyway. You can imagine how the blast-offs in The Martian and Apollo 13 come into their own with Atmos as the rockets seem to roar overhead. But that's not going to be the case, obviously, if you have a movie like one of those old Mel Smith and Gryff Rhys Jones sketches with two blokes sitting across a table talking twaddle to each other. Or Woodie Allen movies, which are much the same these days, only much much less funny.

As for sound quality and quantity versus our local cinema, we're lucky to have just had a brand new state-of-the-art 12-screen one just open 10 minutes away from our house. I have yet to see an Atmos-ey movie there (we saw Winchester there Sunday night BTW - superb ghost story movie). However, whilst the extra speakers down the walls and ceiling of the cinema might make Atmos or DTS:X sounds track more precisely around a large room, I think my 7.2.4 setup does pretty darned well in the space it has to service. One of the things I really like is the volume knob. Sabs has been on here complaining how the cinema is too loud, and when it's empty like it was on Sunday night (me and the wife had the whole screen to ourselves), I tend to agree. Packed full of people, all the bodies, burping, farting, sniffing, etc., the cinema almost certainly needs the extra volume, but when it's just two people it's too loud.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Leeps said:
It's a shame that the Denon/Marantz/Pioneer/Yamaha receivers no longer offer flagship receivers (for the higher quality internals) with a maximum of 5.1 or 7.1 channels. Their 7.1 receivers are now budget to midrange machines that have pretty weedy power supplies. So these mainstream makers no longer make a product I would want to buy.

apart from the Denon x8500 at around 4 grand...

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Up through the plasterboard walls, cutting holes then patching as I needed to in order to get through horizontal timbers, then across the attic and down again.

Downstairs I had the builders put the cables in before the ceilings went up.

Patching plasterboard and Artex isn't that hard... If you know what you're doing :)

Sliced Bread said:
When you guys fitted your ceiling speakers, how did you channel through the cable?

i have an Atmos capable receiver but really don’t want to mess up my perfectly smooth ceiling :)
Welcome back, haven't seen you around for a while! I got a box ceiling along the perimeter of my room for the speakers and cabling.

Sliced Bread

Benedict_Arnold said:
Up through the plasterboard walls, cutting holes then patching as I needed to in order to get through horizontal timbers, then across the attic and down again.

Patching plasterboard and Artex isn't that hard... If you know what you're doing :)

Do you know if it's possible to get it perfectly flat? My ceiling doesn't have artex so it is a flat surface, but is quite new so perfectly smooth. I'd like to avoid any bumps.

I did ask a local home theatre installer for a quote to channel and install the speakers and it came out to £350, which I think is quite reasonable. But they did add that I would have to "make good" on the ceiling after they've cut the holes.

Sliced Bread

macdiddy said:
then they probably have plasterers they trust to "make good" the ceiling after they have cut the holes.

*good*

Yes my thoughts too *unknw*

I'll look for someone else to do it
regular_smile.png

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Oh. "Perfectly flat" is a relative thing but A good plasterer or even a good DIYer should be able to manage. Then you just have to paint the patches to match. Or repaint the whole ceiling with solid emulsion.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Sliced Bread said:
Benedict_Arnold said:

Do you know if it's possible to get it perfectly flat?  My ceiling doesn't have artex so it is a flat surface, but is quite new so perfectly smooth. I'd like to avoid any bumps.

I did ask a local home theatre installer for a quote to channel and install the speakers and it came out to £350, which I think is quite reasonable.  But they did add that I would have to "make good" on the ceiling after they've cut the holes.  
You can cut the holes in the ceiling for the speakers with a Stanley knife or a padsaw insert for a Stanley knife. A simple trip to B&Q is all that is needed.

Most ceiling speakers are dead easy to install too. You just cut a circular hole using the template provided and the speakers have lugs on them that rotate and lock in on the upper surface of the plasterboard.

The only thing you have to watch out for is a joistin the way. You can use an electronic studfinder or just tap on the ceiling and listen to when the sound goes from hollow (no joist) to hard knock (there's your joist). Keep a couple of inches clear of the joist and you'll be okay.

The difficult part is running the cables. More on that later...

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
I read online that this 'Atmos' is something that only a cinema can properly do ?

In you home/cinema room perhaps...... not a chance that you will HAVE the type of a set-up that you can have with LOADS of side speakers up high etc that produce atmos sound or indeed supply said sound ?

I do however admire all those who choose to try to do so..... :)

Mind if I had their monies, I too would try to attain proper Atmos sound, bloomin right I would.

I wish all who TRY to do so, the Best of luck. :)

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
I read online that this 'Atmos' is something that only a cinema can properly do ?

In you home/cinema room perhaps...... not a chance that you will HAVE the type of a set-up that you can have with LOADS of side speakers up high etc that produce atmos sound or indeed supply said sound ?

The most recent time I was at the cinema, I was sat at the back, so the long row of Atmos speakers were pointless because they were still in front of me. So my brain was being told the objects the sounds relate to were in front, not behind as the mixer probably intended. It's a bit like having a surround set up at home, getting up, and sitting behind your side speakers. The effect just wouldn't be the same.

For the long row of speakers to give the intended effect, you really need to be sat in the middle of the cinema.

All any surround system needs to do is indicate the direction from which the sounds emanate. I think it's just easier to control this at home than at the cinema. It would be ok at the cinema if they got rid of most of the seats and just left 20% of them directly in the middle of the space, but you'd need to pay £60 to watch a film then!

Alantiggger said:

Mind if I had their monies, I too would try to attain proper Atmos sound, bloomin right I would.

You've read wrong.

Sliced Bread

Benedict_Arnold said:
Oh. "Perfectly flat" is a relative thing but A good plasterer or even a good DIYer should be able to manage. Then you just have to paint the patches to match. Or repaint the whole ceiling with solid emulsion.

Some great tips there Benedict...getting nervous, but I think I'll give it a shot. If I mess it up I can always get someone in later.

Now all I have to do is convince my other half *unknw*

F

FunkyMonkey

@BigBoss...FUNNY.

Either the poster read something about Atmos based on those silly reflective speakers, or he believes anythign he reads "online".

Sliced Bread

Alantiggger said:

There seems to be alot of different articles on Atmos online many of which contradict, however from what I have read it may be easier / just as easy to get a good Atmos result in the home.

At home you have one sweet spot so you can place your ceiling speakers accordingly around that one (maybe two) sweetspots. In the cinema however there are hundreds of seats and therefore installers have to add extra rows of ceiling speakers to compensate. Even with just two rows of seats, some installers are recommending three rows of ceiling speakers to help spread the effect. So the extra speakers in a cinema are just to allow more seats the experience and not to improve the experience for one location.

Interestingly and sort-of-related I had a chat with B&W over whether to add 1 or 2 pairs of ceiling speakers. Their recommendation was for 4 speakers (2 pairs * 2 rows) if the sofa is NOT against a back wall, but if the sofa is against a back wall then to have two speakers and install them just above where your knees are at about the same width as a sofa.

F

FunkyMonkey

Sliced Bread said:
Alantiggger said:

There seems to be alot of different articles on Atmos online many of which contradict, however from what I have read it may be easier / just as easy to get a good Atmos result in the home.

At home you have one sweet spot so you can place your ceiling speakers accordingly around that one (maybe two) sweetspots. In the cinema however there are hundreds of seats and therefore installers have to add extra rows of ceiling speakers to compensate. Even with just two rows of seats, some installers are recommending three rows of ceiling speakers to help spread the effect. So the extra speakers in a cinema are just to allow more seats the experience and not to improve the experience for one location.

Interestingly and sort-of-related I had a chat with B&W over whether to add 1 or 2 pairs of ceiling speakers. Their recommendation was for 4 speakers (2 pairs * 2 rows) if the sofa is NOT against a back wall, but if the sofa is against a back wall then to have two speakers and install them just above where your knees are at about the same width as a sofa.

This sounds very logical.

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Check out the Dolby website.

just one part for a 5.1.4 setup.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/5-1-4-setups.html

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Don't get me wrong here, yep I did read AND watch vids online about this 'Atmos'..... and tbh, If I myself had the throw-away cash.... I too would probably get ceiling speakers installed as well as a good number of 'up-high' small speakers in a cinema room, easy.

I can at times often type in this forum some silly things/ideas etc..... but all in all.... as said, I myself, would upgrade and instal loads of speakers to enhance this Atmos sound.

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
aliEnRIK said:
So to those of you that do have ceiling speakers, how many actual Atmos films have you watched?

Currently about 6, only just installed my system due to gutting the whole ground floor. That is why i took the opertunity and installed the 4 ceiling speakers.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
About a dozen movies plus those Game of Thrones that I have as Atmos BDs (seasons 1 4 5 and 6 from memory).

Also a shedload of non Atmos running in pseudo atmos using DTS: NeuralX processing.

Apollo 13 is a blast(off) :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts