Atmos Ceiling Speakers - How Far in From the Walls?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Room measures, I actually finally measured it, 19 ft x 14 ft 6 ins, with the TV against one of the "short" walls. Prme seating position is almost exactly half-way down the room, and I've decided to wire for a 7.2.4 setup, i.e. 4 in-ceiling speakers. The two I had installed by the builder, half-way down the room, will remain in place ( a) because they're only $120 a pair (b) so I don't have to explain to 'er indoors (or do) the ceiling repairs necessary if I moved them, and (c) so I'm "future proofed" (ahem). Mostly (b), of course.

The four new speakers will go 1/4 and 3/4 of the way down the room, so that they're equally above-and-in-front and above-and-behind the prime seating position. That's 4 ft 9 inches from the front and back walls in a room 9 feet high at the TV, 8 feet high at the back with two 6-inch steps in the floor. All of this meets the Atmos front-to-back spacing recommendations BTW.

However, the Atmos white paper doesn't give guidelines on how far in from the walls, or how far apart from each other, the speakers should be left-to-right.

Currently, the in-ceilings are 21 inches from wall / ceiling edges to the centres of the round speakers. I think this might be a bit too close to the edges of the room, but they're currently in line with the front in-walls, the positions of which are restricted by vertical wall studs behind the plasterboard, and I'm not sure everything really has to line up perfectly.

The speakers are Yamaha NSIC-800 round jobs, 50 WPC RMS /140 peak rated, 8 inch woofers with concentric tweeters. The OD of the speaker mounting is 10 3/4 inches. They're not titlable BTW, so I can't "point" them towards the centre-line fo the floor.

Thoughts?

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
Room measures, I actually finally measured it, 19 ft x 14 ft 6 ins, with the TV against one of the "short" walls. Prme seating position is almost exactly half-way down the room, and I've decided to wire for a 7.2.4 setup, i.e. 4 in-ceiling speakers. The two I had installed by the builder, half-way down the room, will remain in place ( a) because they're only $120 a pair (b) so I don't have to explain to 'er indoors (or do) the ceiling repairs necessary if I moved them, and (c) so I'm "future proofed" (ahem). Mostly (b), of course.

The four new speakers will go 1/4 and 3/4 of the way down the room, so that they're equally above-and-in-front and above-and-behind the prime seating position. That's 4 ft 9 inches from the front and back walls in a room 9 feet high at the TV, 8 feet high at the back with two 6-inch steps in the floor. All of this meets the Atmos front-to-back spacing recommendations BTW.

However, the Atmos white paper doesn't give guidelines on how far in from the walls, or how far apart from each other, the speakers should be left-to-right.

Currently, the in-ceilings are 21 inches from wall / ceiling edges to the centres of the round speakers. I think this might be a bit too close to the edges of the room, but they're currently in line with the front in-walls, the positions of which are restricted by vertical wall studs behind the plasterboard, and I'm not sure everything really has to line up perfectly.

The speakers are Yamaha NSIC-800 round jobs, 50 WPC RMS /140 peak rated, 8 inch woofers with concentric tweeters. The OD of the speaker mounting is 10 3/4 inches. They're not titlable BTW, so I can't "point" them towards the centre-line fo the floor.

Thoughts?

http://www.dolby.com/in/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/index.html

No actual dimensions but has a guide.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
That's the info I was looking at.

I have a printout of the white paper in fromt of me.

Trouble is, and unless I'm missing something, it's quite clear that the speakers should be at or slightly above ear-level, and gives angles (and thus positions) front-to-back, but not left to right.

Perhaps it doesn't really matter....

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Are you not governed by your ceiling joists/ void? It took ages to plan my room out and according to the Dolby diagram my rear speakers are supposed to be slightly closer together than the line of my front speakers but this wasn't possible for me as they are in wall speakers and the structure wouldn't allow it. So my rear speakers are directly aligned to my front left and right and my ceiling Atmos also run the same line- ie all the same distance in from the side wall. The only potential issue with this is side wall deflection but I'm not sure I would know what this was/is anyway!!!

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Joists run left to right across the room, not front to back.

Therefore I can move the in-ceiling speakers in from the walls as far as I like, but may have to compromise slightly front to back.

The in-walls? Yes, I have to compromise for the vertical joists, and although I'd like to align the fronts, in-ceilings and rears to be exactly the same distances in from the walls, I may have to compromise. I already have a different problem wherein there's a study Murphy's Law slap bang in the middle of the wall where I want the centre speaker to go. Right now I'm using an under-TV cased speaker, but when I get the cash together for a projector and screen I'm going to have to put two speakers, equally spaced around the joist, and wire them in parallel. Still, at least voices should be clear...

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
I completely stripped my room back to basics, had steel boxes made especially for the speakers and cut them into the fabric of the walls. I integegrated screen and PJ lift into the ceiling, dropping it marginally to accommodate the extra depth required. I installed sound dampening material in between ceiling joists, sound breaker bars behind the sound reduction plasterboard. I installed cabling and positioned my 7.1.4 speaker system to provide a full home cinema experience. I sourced the lift and screen from Pure Theatre and took the main junk of advice and equipment from Frank Harvey who were fabulous to me and I know they are to many other customers. Overall I am absolutely delighted with he set up. Wouldn't change a thing - upgrade of course but all in good time. I will never move house now!!!! Good luck with your project. Hugely rewarding - time consuming but fab when done

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts