Atlas(t) The End Is In Sight - Possibly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

scorpionro

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
There's definitely a difference, but as you mentioned it's not earth breaking. The sound seems to be a bit leaner, cleaner and part of the brightness went way. Overall I find it to be a definite improvement, but it's by no means great value for my current system. I guess that it's simply not good enough to actually take advantage of the much improved coaxial cable

This is a picture of the plug ( still plugged ) : atlas opus plug

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
scorpionro:There's definitely a difference, but as you mentioned it's not earth breaking. The sound seems to be a bit leaner, cleaner and part of the brightness went way. Overall I find it to be a definite improvement, but it's by no means great value for my current system. I guess that it's simply not good enough to actually take advantage of the much improved coaxial cable

This is a picture of the plug ( still plugged ) : atlas opus plug

I will make a comparison as soon as I can with the picture.

Treat the Opus as an investment - when you upgrade it will (hopefully) pay dividends. That is what I am hoping will be the case for me.

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
One of the best upgrades i ever made was a cabletalk reference 3. Will sound like you have put a cd17 ki on your equipment rack. Amazing

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
malthus80:One of the best upgrades i ever made was a cabletalk reference 3. Will sound like you have put a cd17 ki on your equipment rack. Amazing

Interesting. I see they are available on Fleabay for £70+ but not obviously available elsewhere. I will keep them in mind. However, the Atlas Opus is doing a very good job currently.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009:scorpionro:

You did mention that you have several mains cables and I was wondering if you got a chance to test these ?

Ah, as I mentioned in another thread, since changing to the Marantz amp I have not been able to play around with the mains leads - unlike the Audiolabs, the Marantz does not have an IEC socket (its power cable is integral). However, prior to putting the Marantz into the system, I did try the QED Qonduit (too smooth and restrained), the SHB cable, a Russ Andrews Yello, and the Supra cable. All of these seemed to change/improve the overall sound a bit, but I have to say I don't think there was ever what you would call a 'step change' in quality. Maybe just a bit more 'oomph' in the various departments. I am reluctant to mess with the Marantz power at present.

Hi,

How does the Supra mains cable compare soundwise to QED, SHB cable and Russ Andrews yellow. Which supra do you use - lorad 1.5 or 2.5.

Thanks

Steve.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
stephennic:

Hi,

How does the Supra mains cable compare soundwise to QED, SHB cable and Russ Andrews yellow. Which supra do you use - lorad 1.5 or 2.5.

Thanks

Steve.

I purchased the LoRad 2.5 version. Since I have not really had a proper test of all the mentioned cables together in one sitting, it is unfair to comment on relative merits beyond saying that I found the QED product tended to warm and soften the overall sound. At less than £30 the Supras seem to be a good buy if you want greater power and substance to your sound.

At some point I may try a comparison between the different leads on my LCD TV, but until I have some hi-fi separates that take IEC connections I cannot do likewise with audio.

scorpionro

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
I've emailed Atlas about the Opus plugs and they confirmed that as they are phasing them out they might have used silver plated plugs instead of the gold plated plugs they were usually using ( rca plug 1 and rca plug 2 ) so I guess lucky me for getting a better plug :)

TRENDING THREADS