ATC SCM50ASL Tower vs Anniversary Edition

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have just heard a pair of SCM50ASL Tower and they sound great. And I plan to get a pair.

Has anyone heard both the Tower and the Anniversary edition? Other than their finishing difference, what other differences are there?

There is a huge price difference between the tower and Anniversary and was just wondering why the huge price gap!

Thanks in advance

porky88:
Hi Guys,

I have just heard a pair of SCM50ASL Tower and they sound great. And I plan to get a pair.

Has anyone heard both the Tower and the Anniversary edition? Other than their finishing difference, what other differences are there?

There is a huge price difference between the tower and Anniversary and was just wondering why the huge price gap!

Thanks in advance

Hi porky88

Other than the finish the amp pack in the Anniversary Edition is of bettter quality.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi porky88,

From what i have read and enquiries i have made i am told the anniversary employs completely different amplifier and crossover topologies which help in reducing noise and improves coherence. As you clearly stated it employs a totally different cabinet design finish.

A

Anonymous

Hi Ben,

Interestingly, I see that you own both the Monitor Audio PL300 as well as the SCM50ASL Tower. I own the PL300 right now and hope to move to the 50A towers.

How will you describe their sonic differences?

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Looks/Finish i score 10 out of 10 for the Platinums unless you compare it with the Burr magnolia finish ,ATC is not about looks but the end product which is sound.

Sound: Platinums have a bit of flavour to the music without being neutral whereas the SCM50A is undiluted natural sound.

As you are aware the built in power amps run class A to 2/3 power and three amps per speaker is something the passive PL300 will find hard to achieve in powerful but separate class A power amp.

Overall my active listening has made me realise that i get a bigger soundstage depth and palpability in the active speakers over the passive PL300.

i have the Platinums setup in the lounge in a 5.1 system whiles the Active is in a 2 channel system in the bedroom.

luv both sets of speakers and i appreciate the sonic differences is what appealed to me on both brands.

A

Anonymous

benharlley:
Looks/Finish i score 10 out of 10 for the Platinums unless you compare it with the Burr magnolia finish ,ATC is not about looks but the end product which is sound.

Sound: Platinums have a bit of flavour to the music without being neutral whereas the SCM50A is undiluted natural sound.

As you are aware the built in power amps run class A to 2/3 power and three amps per speaker is something the passive PL300 will find hard to achieve in powerful but separate class A power amp.

Overall my active listening has made me realise that i get a bigger soundstage depth and palpability in the active speakers over the passive PL300.

i have the Platinums setup in the lounge in a 5.1 system whiles the Active is in a 2 channel system in the bedroom.

luv both sets of speakers and i appreciate the sonic differences is what appealed to me on both brands.
hi mate, how come you still have the 40's? how much bigger are the 50's to them and how much better are they? wasnt you tempted to build a 5.1 system around your atc40's ? you have got some great gear mate, im green with envy haha.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
A

Anonymous

fowler:benharlley:

hi mate, how come you still have the 40's? how much bigger are the 50's to them and how much better are they? wasnt you tempted to build a 5.1 system around your atc40's ? you have got some great gear mate, im green with envy haha.

Hi fowler,

The 40s are now boxed up and will be up for sale very soon as am still in a dilema. Interestingly i have had it for less than a year but the lur of active was just irrestible and when the chance came i just had to grab the deal.With regards to dimensions as AlmaataKZ has show in the picture its just about the same height as the PL300 if you need a comparison so in effect taller than the 40s.

Actives are a different kettle of fish to passive speakers in respect to clarity and effortless sound; it has much greater efficiency and optimization.

As i said earlier in my above post active speakers gives the listener a bigger soundstage depth and palpability over the passive 40s.

Was tempted to build a 5.1 set up with the passive 40s,C3 centre,SCM11 and a C4 sub but when i listened to the PL300 in a 5.1 setup at my dealer i got hooked to the sound, cabinet finishing.spoke to the Mrs and it was a straight decision as she prefered the Ebony finish and had a say in what we setup in the lounge.

Am a happy bunny at the moment just saving up for an upgraded AV receiver.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts