atc scm40,proac d18 or pmc fb1i?

Hi iceman16

How would you describe the performance of your current system?

What do you generally listen to?

The size of your room?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)?

Distance between the speakers?

Listening distance?

Will anything be in the way of the speakers?

Room floor is (concrete, carpeted, marble,wooden etc.)?

Your general listening level?

I take it you also use the 703's as part of an AV system? If so, will you also be looking at a new centre speaker?

With a change of speakers what kind of improvement and presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Of all the demos we've down over the years with Naim, most people have chosen the ProAc D18 (and predecessors) more so than any other brand or model (including many other models we have in store too). Once you reach the 200/202, things start to really tighten up, which brings out the treble and midrange of whichever speaker you're using, hence the slightly warmer, slightly more laid-back ProAcs being chosen to tame Naim's energetic, raw sound. We've had a number of people choose PMC, but nowhere near as much as ProAc. As for the SCM40's, I've never felt that the SCM40's were a particularly good match with Naim, which are more suited to their own electronics.

iceman16

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi iceman16

The size of your room?

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)?

Listening distance?

I take it you also use the 703's as part of an AV system? If so, will you also be looking at a new centre speaker?

With a change of speakers what kind of improvement and presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
thanks Rick, Im quite happy with my current set up,in fact I have posted a video in YT (B&W Naim) in which some like it but I thought of getting more from my system to my speakers. I have a separate hifi and av speakers since I moved house.My room (lounge L-shaped)about 5x4m.Im listening to most all sorts of music from jazz to metal(eva cassidy,katie melua,eagles,rem,metallica etc.).I had a chance to demo spendor a6 with naim(5x and naitxs)which sounds ok but the a6 sounds lacking in low end.Now I was thinking of the atc scm 40 but Im quite unsure with the 85 dec sensitivity will work well with my nap200?

iceman16

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Of all the demos we've down over the years with Naim, most people have chosen the ProAc D18 (and predecessors) more so than any other brand or model (including many other models we have in store too). Once you reach the 200/202, things start to really tighten up, which brings out the treble and midrange of whichever speaker you're using, hence the slightly warmer, slightly more laid-back ProAcs being chosen to tame Naim's energetic, raw sound. We've had a number of people choose PMC, but nowhere near as much as ProAc. As for the SCM40's, I've never felt that the SCM40's were a particularly good match with Naim, which are more suited to their own electronics.

thanks David..will the ProAc's d18 would be sufficient to give better low end(bass)compared to my current 703s?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Iceman,
Having recently demoed both the ATC and ProAc, if it's low end you're looking for, the ProAc would be more your thing, or if you like a lot of base perhaps something from Dynaudio?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
iceman16 said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

thanks David..will the ProAc's d18 would be sufficient to give better low end(bass)compared to my current 703s?

I have to admit, I've never been keen on B&W's 700 series, and never felt that they work well with Naim either, so as far as I'm concerned, any change will be for the good.
I think if you auditioned the D18's you'd find them an improvement in almost every area. The bass is the one are that was greatly improved when they switched from the downward port of the D15 to the same port/base arrangement as the D28's and the old D38's.

iceman16 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi iceman16

The size of your room?

Listening distance?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
thanks Rick, Im quite happy with my current set up,in fact I have posted a video in YT (B&W Naim) in which some like it but I thought of getting more from my system to my speakers. I have a separate hifi and av speakers since I moved house.My room (lounge L-shaped)about 5x4m.Im listening to most all sorts of music from jazz to metal(eva cassidy,katie melua,eagles,rem,metallica etc.).I had a chance to demo spendor a6 with naim(5x and naitxs)which sounds ok but the a6 sounds lacking in low end.Now I was thinking of the atc scm 40 but Im quite unsure with the 85 dec sensitivity will work well with my nap200?

Hi iceman16

Thanks for your reply.

I know the 703's well as i used to deal with these speakers.

Anyway Naim's NAP200 power amplifier works perfectly well with SCM40 monitors. A NAP200 is amongst the amplifiers i use with SCM40 monitors and quite a number of my clients also happily use Naim amplification (including the NAP200) with SCM40 monitors without issue.

Although SCM40 monitors have an efficiency of 85db however ATC's drive units are very constant thereby allowing an amplifier to give its power all the time (prior to cliping). The NAP200 has more then enough quality and (unless you're going to play the system at constant disco like levels) quantity of power to be partnered with SCM40 monitors.

I feel SCM40's with their (amongst other qualities) uncoloured, natural and powerful presentation will in turn allow the qualities of your electronics to shine through much more.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
iceman16 said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

I have to admit, I've never been keen on B&W's 700 series, and never felt that they work well with Naim either, so as far as I'm concerned, any change will be for the good. I think if you auditioned the D18's you'd find them an improvement in almost every area. The bass is the one are that was greatly improved when they switched from the downward port of the D15 to the same port/base arrangement as the D28's and the old D38's.

;) Your turn dave . ding, ding round two . :grin:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
FATS 2828 said:

:rofl:

All I'm going to say is that I don't like the SCM40's with Naim. The 7, 11, and 19's are fine with the likes of the Nait XS and 152/155, but with the leaner sound of the higher Naim stuff, and the completely neutral SCM40's, to me just conjurs up visions of your nutsack on a cold winter's day. Tight would be an understatement :grin:

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
FATS 2828 said:

All I'm going to say is that I don't like the SCM40's with Naim. The 7, 11, and 19's are fine with the likes of the Nait XS and 152/155, but with the leaner sound of the higher Naim stuff, and the completely neutral SCM40's, to me just conjurs up visions of your nutsack on a cold winter's day. Tight would be an understatement :grin:

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Is 'nuts' and offensive word? Looks worse with the asterisks :)
The singular must be offensve there,s only three astericks . :rofl:

iceman16

MUSICRAFT said:
iceman16 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi iceman16

The size of your room?

Listening distance?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi iceman16

Thanks for your reply.

I know the 703's well as i used to deal with these speakers.

Anyway Naim's NAP200 power amplifier works perfectly well with SCM40 monitors. A NAP200 is amongst the amplifiers i use with SCM40 monitors and quite a number of my clients also happily use Naim amplification (including the NAP200) with SCM40 monitors without issue.

Although SCM40 monitors have an efficiency of 85db however ATC's drive units are very constant thereby allowing an amplifier to give its power all the time (prior to cliping). The NAP200 has more then enough quality and (unless you're going to play the system at constant disco like levels) quantity of power to be partnered with SCM40 monitors.

I feel SCM40's with their (amongst other qualities) uncoloured, natural and powerful presentation will in turn allow the qualities of your electronics to shine through much more.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks again Rick..I do appreciate your comments mate.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts