ATC SCM11 or EB Acoustics EB1 ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi to all,

I am very new to the hi-fi world and I would like some advise from the experts please! I recently bought my first hi-fi amplifier, a Marantz pm7001 KI, as it was a burgain on ebay. I am carefully considering a pair of speakers to buy (bi-wire with Qed 15£/m and banana plugs), I am between the ATC SCM11 or the EB Acoustics EB1. What I find as a disadvantage for the ATCs is that they need loads of watts to really come to life. As the Marantz has 2x70 wpc, seems that the ATCs will not be a good match? In the video "How to System match your Hi-Fi" from www.whathifi.com/video I was very surprised to see that the Roksan Kandy K2 is an ideal match for the ATCs! I am wondering how an amplifier with 2x125 wpc can be ideal for such a watts-hungry speaker? All in all, is a pair ot ATC SCM11 an out of league speaker for the Marantz pm7001 KI? Are EB1s a good match?

Thank you

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
biomelody:
Hi to all,

I am very new to the hi-fi world and I would like someÿadvise from the experts please! I recently bought my first hi-fi amplifier, a Marantz pm7001 KI, as it was a burgain on ebay. I am carefully considering a pair of speakers to buy (bi-wire with Qed 15£/m and banana plugs), I am between the ATC SCM11ÿor the EB Acoustics EB1. What I find as a disadvantage for the ATCs is that they need loads of watts to really come to life. As the Marantz has 2x70 wpc, seems that the ATCs will not be a good match? In the video "How to System match your Hi-Fi" from www.whathifi.com/video I was very surprised to see that the Roksan Kandy K2 is an ideal match for the ATCs! I am wondering how an amplifier with 2x125 wpc can be ideal for such a watts-hungry speaker? All in all, is a pair ot ATC SCM11 an out of league speaker for the Marantz pm7001 KI?ÿAre EB1s aÿgood match?

ÿThank you

I think everything is relative here. Perhaps the ATCs aren't a great match for a low watt valve amp, but I'm sure they will be ok with what you have.

The ideal would be to demo.

ÿ

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
depends on the size of your room and how loud you like to listen. my scm 19s are the same sensitivity as the 11s, my 100 watt moon amp is loud enough for me.

also, in "the big question" in this months mag, all 3 readers prefered the naim nait 5i to the kandy k2 driving the scm11's. the nait 5i has 50 watts, i think, so your marantz should be fine.

A

Anonymous

Thank you very much! I red "the big question" of this month and it is quite clear. Speaker sensitivity is more important than the watts of the amplifier.

Hi biomelody

The ATC SCM11's performance potential is above the 7001ki however it is because of this overall potential and their superb neutrality that the ATC's will allow the the overall qualities of the amplifier to shine through. The SCM11's will also accomodate many component changes around them in the future.

The amplifier has enough power which is also sufficiently potent to work with the SCM11's (provided that you don't intend to simulate constant disco like levels).

You'll also find that the impdence of a speaker is far more important than efficiency/sensitivity and because ATC's drive units are very constant they'll allow an amplifier (provided it is sufficiently potent) to deliver it's full power all the time (prior to clipping).

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

I have had the EB1's for a couple of days now and they run very well off my Rotel RA04 which is 40wpc. Extremely punchy bass without boom (and I have them sighted in corners about 12" from sides and 8" from back wall), smooth mids and sweet top (not quite as sweet as the Rega RS1's). Having read the WHF review again after a couple of days of listening I can concur that the review is absolutely spot on.

Your marantz will drive the EB1's easily. How good a match they are with the rest of your kit I couldnt say - but as EB accoustics offer a 30 days money back guarantee you've got nothing to lose in trying them out.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Craig M.: Depends on the size of your room and how loud you like to listen. my scm 19s are the same sensitivity as the 11s, my 100 watt moon amp is loud enough for me.

also, in "the big question" in this months mag, all 3 readers prefered the naim nait 5i to the kandy k2 driving the scm11's. the nait 5i has 50 watts, i think, so your marantz should be fine.Ignore watts per channel as this is only a rough guide as to an amplifiers capabilities. Current is much more important, and it's current the ATC's need. This may be one reason why the WHF readers preferred the Nait over the K2, or because the Naim just sounded better, or maybe a combination of the two. In the past, I remember using the old Nait 2 (the olive coloured one) to drive SBLS's. The SBL was designed for use in top Naim systems, and also used as an active loudspeaker. Any £500 amp just wouldn't have stood a chance with them, but the Nait drove them admirably, even with it's 'measily' 15wpc or so. So it's no surprise to me that the Nait can drive the ATC's better. The only thing I would say, which has been mentioned bt Craig, is it will depend how loud you want to listen to them. Normal listening levels will be fine, but if you like to let loose every now and again, I'd look at something like the Nait XS, which does drive them much better.

Just because Naim's 50w can drive them, I wouldn't bet on the Marantz's 50w doing the same sort of job. The extra on the nait will make all the difference.

A

Anonymous

Thank you very much all of you for your informative comments, I really appreciate it. I am gonna go for the ATCs as it is a speaker that will last and is "expandable as well".

biomelody:Thank you very much all of you for your informative comments, I really appreciate it. I am gonna go for the ATCs as it is a speaker that will last and is "expandable as well".

Hi biomelody

Great choice
emotion-1.gif
and as i said earlier the ATC SCM11's will also accomodate many future component changes.

I hope you will enjoy the ATC's for many years to come.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi.

I used the Roksan Caspian Mk1 Power amp and my own pre when I designed EB1 and also used it to drive SCM11's as a reference later. The ATC's are a little more power hungry than EB1 but both worked.

EB Acoustics.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts