ATC & Bryston HT/HC - What speaker & amp config?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Beta4Me: At those prices I may look into the Chord amps, they're moderately comparable to the Bryston. I do think, though, that I'm going to be getting 7.1 straight off because if I get 5.1 I just can't see going to 7.1 from it as it'll be like: 5.1 sounds good and was really expensive, won't pay for more, etc.Nothing wrong in a high quality 5.1 system! I'd rather that than an ill matching 7.1 system. 5.1 or 7.1, your system will sound great.

One thing I have learnt from ATC is that amps costing three times as much as the speakers are not overkill. Just buy the best you can afford. I'm going to try and do that but, like almost everybody, I don't have ludicrous amounts of money to spend so I'm trying to spend as little as possible whilst still acheiving a good result.Are you listening to multi-channel music as well as just watching film? Why not try a different approach? We've always found that the M&K loudspeakers outperform pretty much every package on the market when it comes to movies, so why not look into a 750 or even a 950 package? The 7.1 packages are roughly £4k and £5k depending on the sub being used, and although they do like oodles of power, they won't quite need as much expensive amplification to get the to sound stunning. You could look at the bryston 9B, but there are alternatives from Rotel, Arcam, Lexicon, Audiolab, NAD and Primare amongst others that will stand up to the job admirably. Movie-wise, the M&K's are extrenmely hard to beat - I myself 'upgraded' from huge high end loudspeakers down to a 750 system which was almost half the price and they just wiped the floor when it came to, punch, atmosphere, and the sheer amount of subtle detail that wasbrought to the forefront. Hi-fi speakers are different, they're much more 'polite' sounding, and therefore lack in certain areas. Just a thought.

I may in the end keep my current 19s as the fronts and get 2 pairs of SCM11s for the surrounds and then get a 9B-SST2 for the centre and surrounds and, say, a 3B-SST for the SCM19s. That would be MUCH more affordable.

Would it be really worth the increase in price to go from SCM19 + 2 x SCM11 to SCM40 + 2 x SCM19 (along with the appropriate increase in amps)? The 19's and 11's will be a closer match than the 40's and 19's, but then most AV systems that people buy, the rear speakers are usually smaller (lalong with the centre) and have a different timbre because of this. As already mentioned, if you listen to a lot of 2 channel music, go for the SCM40's.

A

Anonymous

A sub-woofer is essential in a multi-channel set-up. When watching movies, the low frequencies effects channel (.1) really need to be fulfilled using a dedicated sub-woofer. These days, with lossless audio soundtracks thanks to Blu-ray, the bass effects are phenomenal and only a dedicated sub-woofer can really provide sufficient bottom-end to leave you smiling.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:Beta4Me: At those prices I may look into the Chord amps, they're moderately comparable to the Bryston. I do think, though, that I'm going to be getting 7.1 straight off because if I get 5.1 I just can't see going to 7.1 from it as it'll be like: 5.1 sounds good and was really expensive, won't pay for more, etc.Nothing wrong in a high quality 5.1 system! I'd rather that than an ill matching 7.1 system. 5.1 or 7.1, your system will sound great.

One thing I have learnt from ATC is that amps costing three times as much as the speakers are not overkill. Just buy the best you can afford. I'm going to try and do that but, like almost everybody, I don't have ludicrous amounts of money to spend so I'm trying to spend as little as possible whilst still acheiving a good result.Are you listening to multi-channel music as well as just watching film? Why not try a different approach? We've always found that the M&K loudspeakers outperform pretty much every package on the market when it comes to movies, so why not look into a 750 or even a 950 package? The 7.1 packages are roughly £4k and £5k depending on the sub being used, and although they do like oodles of power, they won't quite need as much expensive amplification to get the to sound stunning. You could look at the bryston 9B, but there are alternatives from Rotel, Arcam, Lexicon, Audiolab, NAD and Primare amongst others that will stand up to the job admirably. Movie-wise, the M&K's are extrenmely hard to beat - I myself 'upgraded' from huge high end loudspeakers down to a 750 system which was almost half the price and they just wiped the floor when it came to, punch, atmosphere, and the sheer amount of subtle detail that wasbrought to the forefront. Hi-fi speakers are different, they're much more 'polite' sounding, and therefore lack in certain areas. Just a thought.

I may in the end keep my current 19s as the fronts and get 2 pairs of SCM11s for the surrounds and then get a 9B-SST2 for the centre and surrounds and, say, a 3B-SST for the SCM19s. That would be MUCH more affordable.

Would it be really worth the increase in price to go from SCM19 + 2 x SCM11 to SCM40 + 2 x SCM19 (along with the appropriate increase in amps)? The 19's and 11's will be a closer match than the 40's and 19's, but then most AV systems that people buy, the rear speakers are usually smaller (lalong with the centre) and have a different timbre because of this. As already mentioned, if you listen to a lot of 2 channel music, go for the SCM40's.

I would be listening to about 80% Movies and 20% Stereo Music. At the end of the day I'm pretty happy with my SCM19s for stereo music so if that was the only reason to go for the SCM40s then I'm happy to stick with the SCM19s. Ultimately as I already have a pair of SCM19s and don't want to go through the pain and suffering of selling them and as I absolutely LOVE their sound I'll definitely be sticking with ATC and their SCM range.

So based on all that (i.e. including dantan's comments) I'm thinking then that SCM19 + 2 x SCM11 + C3 Centre + C4 Sub is the way to go? Or even just one pair of SCM11s and start with 5.1?

A

Anonymous

In this case, I would say sticking with your SCM19's as fronts and with a C4 sub-woofer, you should be happy.

It depends on how large your lounge-room or home theatre room is, and whether 2 pairs of surround loudspeakers are required.

It is indeed true and correct that most movie soundtracks are mixed in 5.1 discrete channels and you do not really need a 7.1 set-up. I like the fact that having a 7.1 set-up can really widen the overall soundstage of a system - if space allows for it. I don't have the space, hence I personally have a 5.1 set-up.

A

Anonymous

I've been doing some numbers and, really, I'm a bit stripped for cash and I think I'm going to have to cut back. The question is where!?!

How would this be...ATC SCM19s (Fronts), ATC C3 Centre, ATC SCM11 (Surrounds) ATC C1 Sub (no, not C4) as a 5.1 system, with a Bryston 9B-SST2 as the power amp (and then whatever ht pre/pro I could get)? I think that is within the realms of budgetry possibility--am I skimping too far anywhere, will the speakers be underpowered; thoughts?

Thanks.

Beta4Me:

I've been doing some numbers and, really, I'm a bit stripped for cash and I think I'm going to have to cut back. The question is where!?!

How would this be...ATC SCM19s (Fronts), ATC C3 Centre, ATC SCM11 (Surrounds) ATC C1 Sub (no, not C4) as a 5.1 system, with a Bryston 9B-SST2 as the power amp (and then whatever ht pre/pro I could get)? I think that is within the realms of budgetry possibility--am I skimping too far anywhere, will the speakers be underpowered; thoughts?

Thanks.

Hi B4M

I would suggest the following than -

SCM19 (fronts), C3 (centre), SCM11 (surrounds), C1 (sub), NAD T 175 (AV processor) and Chord Electronics SPM 2400 (5 channel power amp).

or

SCM19 (front), C3 (centre), SCM11 (surrounds), C1 (sub) and the Yamaha DSP-Z11 (AV amplifier).

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Beta4Me:I've been doing some numbers and, really, I'm a bit stripped for cash and I think I'm going to have to cut back. The question is where!?!

How would this be...ATC SCM19s (Fronts), ATC C3 Centre, ATC SCM11 (Surrounds) ATC C1 Sub (no, not C4) as a 5.1 system, with a Bryston 9B-SST2 as the power amp (and then whatever ht pre/pro I could get)? I think that is within the realms of budgetry possibility--am I skimping too far anywhere, will the speakers be underpowered; thoughts?If you want to reduce the price, this is what I'd personally do. Get the ATC package you want, get the 9B which will drive them properly. There you have an amp/speaker package that will last as long as you want it to, which will never need to change. What I'd then do is add something like a used AV amp like a Yamaha 3800/3900 for processing duties. The reason for this would be that if anything is going to change, it'll be processors. Also, there are still some manufacturers still to announce their processors, so you'll have more choice in a years time. I'd be looking at the Lexicon processors, which are probably the only processor other that I'd live with other than Yamaha's. At least buying a used amp as a processor you won't lose too much on it when you come to sell it. This way, the system still sounds good, the ATC's will be driven properly, and you'll end up with a better system long term.

Personally, I think moving over fully to an integrated amp will compromise the system - but if I had to choose an integrated amp, it'd be the Z11. A pre/processor only Z11 would be ideal
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:Beta4Me:I've been doing some numbers and, really, I'm a bit stripped for cash and I think I'm going to have to cut back. The question is where!?!

How would this be...ATC SCM19s (Fronts), ATC C3 Centre, ATC SCM11 (Surrounds) ATC C1 Sub (no, not C4) as a 5.1 system, with a Bryston 9B-SST2 as the power amp (and then whatever ht pre/pro I could get)? I think that is within the realms of budgetry possibility--am I skimping too far anywhere, will the speakers be underpowered; thoughts?If you want to reduce the price, this is what I'd personally do. Get the ATC package you want, get the 9B which will drive them properly. There you have an amp/speaker package that will last as long as you want it to, which will never need to change. What I'd then do is add something like a used AV amp like a Yamaha 3800/3900 for processing duties. The reason for this would be that if anything is going to change, it'll be processors. Also, there are still some manufacturers still to announce their processors, so you'll have more choice in a years time. I'd be looking at the Lexicon processors, which are probably the only processor other that I'd live with other than Yamaha's. At least buying a used amp as a processor you won't lose too much on it when you come to sell it. This way, the system still sounds good, the ATC's will be driven properly, and you'll end up with a better system long term.

Personally, I think moving over fully to an integrated amp will compromise the system - but if I had to choose an integrated amp, it'd be the Z11. A pre/processor only Z11 would be ideal
emotion-1.gif

Thanks for the advice. That's what I'm thinking, getting ATC SCM19 fronts, ATC SCM11 surrounds, ATC C3 Centre, ATC C1 Sub (C4 is just too expensive) for a nice 5.1 system that can easily go to 7.1 with the addition of another pair of SCM11s. Also, then using a Bryston 9B-SST2 amp, as it is moderately affordable. For the time being I'd probably use my existing receiver as a pre/pro until there are some more HD Audio capable pre/pro's around or maybe get a Bryston SP3 when that comes out.

A

Anonymous

Indeed it does. I'll keep you posted but an update is probably a couple of weeks to a few months away. Thanks for all you guys' help.

TRENDING THREADS