ATC and Brio-R

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, anyone used the new Rega Brio-R with less efficient speakers?

Looking for a nice amp for a nearfield setup using some ATC SCM10's in a small 8ft square room.

Cheers, Rob

A

Anonymous

hoopsontoast said:
Hi all, anyone used the new Rega Brio-R with less efficient speakers?

Looking for a nice amp for a nearfield setup using some ATC SCM10's in a small 8ft square room.

Cheers, Rob

This should be interesting :)

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, will hopefully set up a demo at some point, just want to see if anyone has used the Brio-R with more demanding speakers, as acording to some reviews its a lot better driving difficult speakers, compared to the Brio3 (which i owned for a while).

The SCM10's-

6178367834_baa119bb29_z.jpg

A better view of the size of the room (with a previous system with Sony ES gear and Rega R1's)

5729799840_242795cbc3_z.jpg

Cheers, Rob

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I've found out that SCM 10s are 80dB sensitive. that's quite insensitive speaker. high power amp would be advisable. however, in your situation you might just get away with a 50W outputted by Brio R. assuming your listening position is about 2m away from speakers (only 8 ft long room) and you don't listen at ear-splitting spls (I assumed 75dB mean spl plus allowing for 15dB of headroom, 75dB is actually quite loud so you need to slightly raise your voice when talking) 40 W is all you need not to strain the amp. in fact most of that power is needed to accomodate for the headroom because if you rule out the headroom you'll see that in order to get 75dB at listening position 2 m away from your 80dB speakers you need about 1W!. headroom is needed so dynamic music wouldn't clip. but the condition is you don't lisetn to music too loud. club volume levels are out of the question.

there's one more unknown of speaker impedance but I doubt your ATCs drop below 4-5 Ohms so you should be safe with Brio R in that regard too.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
I've found out that SCM 10s are 80dB sensitive. that's quite insensitive speaker. high power amp would be advisable. however, in your situation you might just get away with a 50W outputted by Brio R. assuming your listening position is about 2m away from speakers (only 8 ft long room) and you don't listen at ear-splitting spls (I assumed 75dB mean spl plus allowing for 15dB of headroom, 75dB is actually quite loud so you need to slightly raise your voice when talking) 40 W is all you need not to strain the amp. in fact most of that power is needed to accomodate for the headroom because if you rule out the headroom you'll see that in order to get 75dB at listening position 2 m away from your 80dB speakers you need about 1W!. headroom is needed so dynamic music wouldn't clip. but the condition is you don't lisetn to music too loud. club volume levels are out of the question.

there's one more unknown of speaker impedance but I doubt your ATCs drop below 4-5 Ohms so you should be safe with Brio R in that regard too.

Hi, Output is not the issue, i am getting enough 'volume' from the T-Amp, its more of the bass control/depth. The SCM10's are 80dB as you mentioned. I sit around 1.5-2m from the speakers, they are situated a bit further out than the R1's in the pic.

Its more if the Brio-R has more 'balls' really, compared to the Brio3. Which i liked but found the bass performance nice a punchy, like the T-Amp but lack the depth and control.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
Its more if the Brio-R has more 'balls' really, compared to the Brio3. Which i liked but found the bass performance nice a punchy, like the T-Amp but lack the depth and control.

You already know my thoughts mate - many amps will 'drive' them, but bringing out the bass and controlling it is another matter entirely. The Onkyo Reference pre/power (80wpc) drives the Blades, but it doesn't control them like the Cyrus does. As you know, there are no specs for this.... :)

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:

well, that's something you'll have to find out by yourself. you can find some budget amps with very low output impedance and they will sound flabby. then again, you can find tube amps sounding rythmic and tight. unless you know schematics of the amp and also know which parts were used and understand what is their impact on the sound you will never know the final "sound" until you can hear it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts