Atacama Elite ECO 24 Reference

podknocker

'Allows your kit to perform in a more mature, elevated manner'

Hmmm. Not sure.

Well, your kit will be sat a little higher I suppose.

Any solid lump of wood, costing £30 would offer the same functionality.

Do some people think a certain type and price of wooden furniture offers anything more?

HIFI furniture, some accessories and cable reviews do worry me sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr

crypticc

Jan 8, 2022
Visit site
Disclosure. I have Atacama Evoque stands and I have digital equipment on them, but I do that because I like the look of them.

With that said... "..Elite rack seems to allow the system to breathe more freely. We hear a tauter, more rhythmic bass performance too...When listening to the same kit placed on the Evoque rack, that sense of openness is less apparent. More obvious is that bass is a touch lightweight in comparison, too. This top-heavy focus means there’s a touch of sibilance to the higher frequencies, which disappears as we move back to the Elite. "

What a load of tosh.

If placing high end digital equipment onto a wooden stand improved things, and if placing onto one with metal legs was worse than that then planes would be made out of wood, and hedge funds would have their near-super computers sitting on wooden racks not metal trays.

Turntables I can appreciate that resonance or even direct audio from your speakers can directly affect the pickup, and those are a whole different story. But digital, solid state devices, and high voltage transistors. Nah!

Chris

Gray

I own Atacama SE24 speaker stands - because my speakers need support - not because they might sound any better than any other (adequate) stands.

I can't decide what's more ridiculous, the price or the review of this particular product.
(It's not as it even looks like anything special).

Reactions: WayneKerr

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
It makes sense to have solid wood to absorb the vibrations and provide stability and structure for your equipment but I would refrain from purchasing this, which is priced disproportionally to the actual costs.

As you can see from the photos, my DIY table is solid Oak, it's about 50mm thick and incredibly heavy and the legs are solid metal. Don't require carpentry skills, all you need is a good drill, some bolts, some wood glue and wha-llah! All this for a fraction of the costs.

Mine is a desktop (Home Office - work laptop located under the pull out tray) but you can easily change the format to suit, for example you can use shorter legs and build it up like a rack, if you don't wish to drill holes for the spikes, you could apply metal glue. Mind you, doh! Most legs for the base have pre-drilled screw holes for the height adjustment, you can replace the knobs with spikes.

Yes, save some money and also it will give you some satisfaction that you built it yourself.

Attachments

• IMG_20230821_095914.jpg
    IMG_20230821_095914.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230821_100036.jpg
    IMG_20230821_100036.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230713_123652.jpg
    IMG_20230713_123652.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230821_112841.jpg
    IMG_20230821_112841.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
'Allows your kit to perform in a more mature, elevated manner'

Hmmm. Not sure.

Well, your kit will be sat a little higher I suppose.

Any solid lump of wood, costing £30 would offer the same functionality.

Do some people think a certain type and price of wooden furniture offers anything more?

HIFI furniture, some accessories and cable reviews do worry me sometimes.
I like What Hifi and have read it for years now.
Speaker stands offering better isolation than being placed on a side unit I can see that performance likely improves, but a streamer on a different rack offering different performance I find hard to believe. Along with the now infamous hdmi cable reviews, I find myself not being entirely sure of what to think which is a real shame. I find myself reading other reviews and seeing if they match up to those on here as opposed to just using what hifi to make my shortlists and purchases.

podknocker

Most sites offer fantastical reviews of cables and bits of furniture. Many of these reviews are snake oil and pixie dust, with outlandish claims of sound improvement.

I wish people would see through this stuff and just realise it's a piece of wood etc. Stands which are sturdy do offer stability and isolate speakers from vibration and movement, but it's not such a big deal.

If your living room literally shakes, then yes, but slight movement from strolling around, or some heavy traffic outside, isn't going to give you timing issues, or blur your listening experience.

Far too many people take this stuff way too far and I think they obsess about it.

The biggest influences on sound quality are room shape and dimensions and the amount of reflective surfaces, or lack of them, with lots of soft fabrics, curtains, books and carpets etc.

Room acoustics needs the most attention, not how many bits of expensive wood you can find for your components.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I own Atacama SE24 speaker stands - because my speakers need support - not because they might sound any better than any other (adequate) stands.

I can't decide what's more ridiculous, the price or the review of this particular product.
(It's not as it even looks like anything special).
Like look pretty solid

1692705696885.png

podknocker

I have my QA 3030i on matching stands, without spikes and they move very easily, when I give them a push, but if I don't do that they are fine. If I don't touch them, they don't move around!

They are slightly toed in and sit on carpet, which covers a slightly uneven floor, but it's no big deal.

I used to think mass loading stands with lead shot, or sand and then screwing spikes into them, would be really helpful, but I don't think that way now.

If they're at the right height and you don't have a very uneven floor, to make them wobble around, then they should be fine.

Any vibrations in the floor will get lost in the base plate and even if any unwanted energy went up any of the 3 columns, there's no chance of this getting transferred into the speakers.

The speaker cabinets are also very inert and I can't imagine anything from the floor, finding its way do the drivers and changing their performance.

I remember seeing some speaker reviews where the mass loaded speaker stands, with spikes, where sat on plinths made from concrete and I thought this is taking things too far.

I've been very suspicious of this sort of 'modding' along with bits of wood and other strange things.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts