AT95E vs AT95EX

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Hello to all. I would like to order a new AT95EX stylus for my AT95E cart. From the reviews I see that AT95EX is slightly better sounding than AT95E but both seem to have exactly the same specs apart from the colour ?

stereoman said:
Hello to all. I would like to order a new AT95EX stylus for my AT95E cart. From the reviews I see that AT95EX is slightly better sounding than AT95E but both seem to have exactly the same specs apart from the colour ?

As they are both replacements for the same cartridge it's a bit odd. Six pounds difference, the only thing I noticed were the words 'bonded shank' for the EX.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
stereoman said:

As they are both replacements for the same cartridge it's a bit odd. Six pounds difference, the only thing I noticed were the words 'bonded shank' for the EX.

And many people from the reviews swear by sound difference....hmm.

stereoman said:
Al ears said:
stereoman said:

Interesting, maybe its a colour thing.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
stereoman said:
Al ears said:
stereoman said:

lol...actually I think I figured it out why. EX sa 03 x 0.7 mil whereas E has 0.4 x 0.7. EX goes up to 22Khz , E to 20Khz. I think some sites have wrong information about Stylus radii...the cuts are not the same in both. Actually I ordered AT95EX today and will post the sound result.

stereoman said:
Al ears said:
stereoman said:
Al ears said:
stereoman said:

lol...actually I think I figured it out why. EX sa 03 x 0.7 mil whereas E has 0.4 x 0.7. EX goes up to 22Khz , E to 20Khz. I think some sites have wrong information about Stylus radii...the cuts are not the same in both. Actually I ordered AT95EX today and will post the sound result.

Please do, knowing Audio Technica there had to be a difference somewhere. So a slightly more refined elliptical tip it is then.

daytona600

Ex variant has different compliance from the standard E version & designed for the LP5 turntable

AT95E must have been sold in the millions over the years both use ellipital stylus profiles , hyper / shibata profiles best options for best sound/pound

daytona600 said:
Ex variant has different compliance from the standard E version & designed for the LP5 turntable

AT95E must have been sold in the millions over the years both use ellipital stylus profiles , hyper / shibata profiles best options for best sound/pound

The spec on Audio Techica appears to be the same for each cartridge. Strange.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
The specs are a bit misleading. Actually I found this:

"This cartridge is popular amongst entry to mid-level enthusiasts as it offers excellent value for money. It incorporates an extended frequency response and improved transient response.

Other features include Aluminum pipe cantilever and Dual V Mount magnet configuration which delivers excellent channel separation and low distortion resulting in outstanding tonal quality.
Upgrade to 95E
ATN95Ex is available as an upgraded version of the industry acclaimed AT95E cartridge. As with all the AT90 Series cartridges the AT95EX features ½” geometry and can be mounted on virtually any tonearm or headshell. This cartridge has been chosen by AT engineers to be supplied as standard on the extraordinary AT-LP5 turntable."

The green AT95E is more a generic cart where AT95EX is a slight upgrade. AT95E should have 0.4 x 0.7 whereas AT95EX 0.3 x 0.7. But some sites say both have the same cut.

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=Audio+Technica+AT95E

I’ve had both styli. Both have been used as replacement styli in a Clearaudio cartridge which was damaged. I first had the 95e then the EX.

The EX has better detail, and less pops and clicks. Both are very good for the money, but the EX is worth the few extra quid.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
I’ve had both styli. Both have been used as replacement styli in a Clearaudio cartridge which was damaged. I first had the 95e then the EX.

The EX has better detail, and less pops and clicks. Both are very good for the money, but the EX is worth the few extra quid.

thumbs_up.png
Nice to hear it...

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Hello. Can someone confirm whether the AT95E or AT95EX is really "made in China" ? I just received mine directly from Audio Technica Shop but on the package it says so. I thought that all needles / carts are made in Japan. I will post a quick sound description soon.

stereoman said:
Hello. Can someone confirm whether the AT95E or AT95EX is really "made in China" ? I just received mine directly from Audio Technica Shop but on the package it says so. I thought that all needles / carts are made in Japan. I will post a quick sound description soon.

If it says made in China then it was.

Al ears said:
stereoman said:

ive just looked at mine, they were both made in Japan.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
Al ears said:
stereoman said:

So it is produced in both countries. I just got from China. Hmm... ;)

stereoman said:
bigfish786 said:
Al ears said:
stereoman said:

It's quite likely they produce goods in both countries like many manufacturers. I believe most of their turntables are from China.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
stereoman said:
bigfish786 said:
Al ears said:
stereoman said:

It's quite likely they produce goods in both countries like many manufacturers. I believe most of their turntables are from China.

Yes TTs are made in China - but I thought that such things like Stylii or Carts are totally made in Japan. All is ok. A quick sound update:

So the AT95EX ( Chinese version ) yes sounds a bit better than the generic AT95E. Not so much better , do not expect a big difference. The difference is mostly heard in bass - midrange area. The bass is a bit tighter, as to the highs ( some claim a bit better with more resolution ) not so true. The highs are even bit shut in but clear. The whole reproduction is a bit "tighter" in sound. But yes it sounds "better" definitely.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I was just flicking through the reviews on this site when I came across this 'shoot out' review including your turntable. I thought it was an attractive package too, but be prepared for bad news. I was following your comments on the AT 95ex which I think is an improvement on the standard AT 95. Make of it what you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_LzV45Ha30

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Jim_W said:
I was just flicking through the reviews on this site when I came across this 'shoot out' review including your turntable. I thought it was an attractive package too, but be prepared for bad news. I was following your comments on the AT 95ex which I think is an improvement on the standard AT 95. Make of it what you will.

Thanks I will watch it. But even without this I can absolutely confirm that TEAC series are great sounding for the price no matter what. I can fully recommend these TTs. Believe me if they were crap I would write it straight off...

EDIT: Ok I have watched the clip. He must be joking with this unstable speed and pitch & rythm issues. I have not encountered any of this after one year. Teac 300N is superb for the price. Also offers ( if demanding speed adjustment on the bottom ).

D

Deleted member 108165

Jim_W said:

Must admit that this guy is probably one of the best reviewers on youtube. He's diificult to understand sometimes but he's normally spot-on with his comments.

iceman16

DougK said:
Jim_W said:

Must admit that this guy is probably one of the best reviewers on youtube. He's diificult to understand sometimes but he's normally spot-on with his comments.

+1

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
D

Deleted member 108165

Stereoman you have a fine turntable without doubt, you adore it and appreciate it. However, it is Chinese made and rolls off the same production line as many other identical turntables with different brand names. They are all built cheaply and suit their price point. I've been there and done it myself with a Pioneer PLX1000, I thought it sounded brilliant until I bought the Marantz... there is absolutely no comparison between the Pioneer and the Marantz, both in build quality and sound quality.

I really don't want to come across as a hi-fi snob but until you've experienced a turntable made in the western hemisphere, or Japan, you will not really fully appreciate what vinyl is capable of reproducing. Unfortunately this hobby requires a lot of cash investment.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
DougK said:
Stereoman you have a fine turntable without doubt, you adore it and appreciate it. However, it is Chinese made and rolls off the same production line as many other identical turntables with different brand names. They are all built cheaply and suit their price point. I've been there and done it myself with a Pioneer PLX1000, I thought it sounded brilliant until I bought the Marantz... there is absolutely no comparison between the Pioneer and the Marantz, both in build quality and sound quality.

I really don't want to come across as a hi-fi snob but until you've experienced a turntable made in the western hemisphere, or Japan, you will not really fully appreciate what vinyl is capable of reproducing. Unfortunately this hobby requires a lot of cash investment.

I believe you...of course. One day will come for an upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts