At last a Goldring 1042 review ...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
https://www.whathifi.com/goldring/1042/review

And I totally agree with the 5 star result for once. I had a great time with a 1042 (and two replacement styli) during the 11 years from 1996 - 2007.

I used mine on a (special order) sky-blue Rega Planar 3 (with RB300 tonearm and optional tungsten counterweight) through the original 'clamshell' Rega Brio and matching Rega Radio FM tuner.

The depth and bass were capable of being truly 'chasmic' (especially with 12" singles) in scale. Even somewhat 'scary' (but amazing) sometimes with certain records like Black Uhuru's 'Dub Factor' and League Unlimited Orchestra's 'Love & Dancing' where' i'd be pinned to the chair, slack jawed and nervous at what this - modest - system was capable of doing with the 1042 gripping it like a vice it seemed.

It was about time this brilliant classic MM cartridge got this, well deserved, recognition on WHF?

chebby said:
https://www.whathifi.com/goldring/1042/review

And I totally agree with the 5 star result for once. I had a great time with a 1042 (and two replacement styli) during the 11 years from 1996 - 2007.

I used mine on a (special order) sky-blue Rega Planar 3 (with RB300 tonearm and optional tungsten counterweight) through the original 'clamshell' Rega Brio and matching Rega Radio FM tuner.

The depth and bass were capable of being truly 'chasmic' (especially with 12" singles) in scale. Even somewhat 'scary' (but amazing) sometimes with certain records like Black Uhuru's 'Dub Factor' and League Unlimited Orchestra's 'Love & Dancing' where' i'd be pinned to the chair, slack jawed and nervous at what this - modest - system was capable of doing with the 1042 gripping it like a vice it seemed.

It was about time this brilliant classic MM cartridge got this, well deserved, recognition on WHF?

Agree, well overdue knowing how long this cartridge and its bretheren have been on the market. I've owned the 1012GX and 1042 in the past and they, like other classics (think Denon DL-103R) are unbeatable for the money in the right set-up.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Must be quiet for reviews at WHF Towers. Why choose now to review what must be a 25 year old cartridge?

The price hike is staggering though, considering what they used to cost. Even the 1006 has a list price of £195. When I bought one in 1994 it was £50 and seen as an 'upper budget' model. 4x increase in price in 23 years!! I wish my income had gone up by the same proportion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts