Asynchronous (Rdac) v non asynchronous (Rega dac)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

Very soon im going to be buying a new dac and ive got 500 quid to spend. ive got it down to the rega dac and the arcam rdac.

I play all my music through my laptop via usb.

Which Dac is going to be the best for me sound quality wise?

ive been reading alot about it and its pretty confusing. I have read the rega dac is limited to 16 bit and the arcam dac is 24 bit?

In order to get 24 bit from the rega dac you need something called a hiface?

I guess the main question is, will be rdac be the better dac for playing music on a computer as its asynchronous or is the rega dac leaps above the rdac?

A

Anonymous

You just have to audition both the DACs you've mentioned in as near as home conditions as possible. Take your TC-7520 with you.

By the way , have you pimped your T-7520 with different op amps, gator board and alternative PSU? You might be surprised at the result. Some might say to flog the TC-7520 , they command good 2nd prices, and buy and fully pimp the Caiman DAC.

From what I can make out, the rDAC is supposed to be at its best on USB input whereas Rega decided to put thier money elsewhere and USB is probably its weakest area, but still quite good. But the Rega could be well ahead on coax and optical input. The two DACs appear to have different sound signatures hence the need to audition. If you really have loads of hirez material (> 16bit/44.1KHz) then you'll need some kind of USB to S/PDIF convertor and probaly would just to get the best out of the Rega DAC but using the non-usb inputs. Possibly the new Musical Fidelity V-Link could be the convertor to go for. Feedback on the V-Link is a bit thin on the ground yet.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
If price isn't an issue, I'd take the Rega Dac over the rDac, but for your system it might be slight overkill. Also, the Nuforce HDP is highly recommended and has 24/96 usb input. I just returned the Poppulse Dac after playing with it for a month and in the middle of deciding on a new dac too. The Chinese dac has good specs but sound wasn't what I was aiming for. It had good detail and tight bass, but midrange and dynamics were poor. I'm leaning towards the Nuforce HD dac, which doesn't have the preamp. The problem is that I can't audition it, but HifiChoice gave it 5 stars.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi JezBaker,

I'm at a similar upgrade point with regard to a Beresford TC7510. Had set my mind on the rega dac but now also considering one of Brent's new creations at Fidelity Audio. Having had my squeezebox receiver modified by Brent, I can vouch for the quality of the work. He's about to release a new dac which will handle 24 bit usb input and is built around quality components (especially from what I can see, power supply). Give him a ring or send an email. He's a good guy who knows his stuff. Seems like the new model will compete favourable with the Rega. It's tempting.....

A

Anonymous

there are quite a few dacs on my list, rdac, rega dac, music fidelity m1 dac, audiolabs new dac coming out soon and its hard to know which one to go for.

From what i have read on the the internet from others over the past couple of months, the rega dac rapes all the other ones and that is why im leaning towards it.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Go for the Rega dac, you won't be disappointed. It would be a huge step up over your Beresford, but you will lose the headphone amp/pre-amp option. You can upgrade the rest of your components and speakers in the future, but the Rega dac will always part of the system because it is killer dac.

A

Anonymous

You may find the comparison of Musical Fidelity's M1 DAC and the Arcam rDac at the link below useful:

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/arcam-rdac-kw-versus-musical-fidelity-m1-dac-musical-fidelity-v-link-usb-s-pdif-convertor-review.html

Interestingly, although the reviewer found the M1 superior via other inputs, via USB he found the rDac superior, presumably because of its asynchronous connection. Adding the MF V-Link (£99), which connects asynchronously then outputs the digital signal via coaxial or optical, he found the MF was now the better of the two. Of course, the MF M1 + V-Link together cost £500, substantially more than the rDac, but the reviewer felt the extra outlay well worth it.

I imagine the same could be true of the Rega Dac. That is, that it is superior to the rDac overall but perhaps not via its isynchronous USB, in which case if you are choosing between the Rega and Arcam, the very best sound quality might be achieved by buying the Rega and adding an MF V-Link. I'd be tempted to audition the MF M1 too, though - it has been very well reviewed and its sound might better suit you.

A

Anonymous

Borrow both and compare them in your own system.
Keith.

A

Anonymous

+1 for the fidelity audio recommendation. After speaking to Brent I have pre ordered one. The DAC chip that they are using can also be found in the £1600 Creek Destiny 2 CDP. As mentioned previously the PSU is good quality and accepts a standard IEC cable.

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
That review of the rdac has absolutely nothing I would agree with and it certainly doesn't agree with different magazine reviews either. It did get like that during burn in but that is it. The rdac is limited by its power supply but options are available. I'm certainly not saying its better than the other dac though but they are both worthy of a good trial.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
csq2 said:
Go for the Rega dac, you won't be disappointed. It would be a huge step up over your Beresford, but you will lose the headphone amp/pre-amp option. You can upgrade the rest of your components and speakers in the future, but the Rega dac will always part of the system because it is killer dac.

I see you have the Hegel HD2 DAC. How is it ?
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts