Astell & Kern AK USB-C Dual DAC Cable

MarkPf

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I agree with both of you. No MQA and sad to see LG not making phones. I own a LG V60 and bought it just for the reason that it sounds better then any other phone that I know of. Do you know if this would sound as good as a SchiIt Audio Magni/Modi stack for a computer or laptop? Looking for something more portable like this.

Reactions: Lmnop

Lmnop

Jun 27, 2020
Visit site
I agree with both of you. No MQA and sad to see LG not making phones. I own a LG V60 and bought it just for the reason that it sounds better then any other phone that I know of. Do you know if this would sound as good as a SchiIt Audio Magni/Modi stack for a computer or laptop? Looking for something more portable like this.

Hi Mark, I know I'm late to this, but I think you'll find it will depend on what kind of headphones you'll be using. The AKM chip in the Schiit is comparable quality to the dual CS chips in the AK--which I've been using for a week now and loving. The amplification is potentially the main difference, depending on impedance. But for the price I'm thrilled with the AK.

MarkPf

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Hi Mark, I know I'm late to this, but I think you'll find it will depend on what kind of headphones you'll be using. The AKM chip in the Schiit is comparable quality to the dual CS chips in the AK--which I've been using for a week now and loving. The amplification is potentially the main difference, depending on impedance. But for the price I'm thrilled with the AK.

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably get one and check it out. I am using Sennheiser HD599's.

D

Deleted member 188533

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably get one and check it out. I am using Sennheiser HD599's.

Your LG V60 is almost certainly better than something like this. I have a V35 ThinQ and it's the equal of most entry level desktop amp/DAC stacks.

sc1

Sep 4, 2008
Visit site
I don‘t know if anyone else has this issue, but the slightest movement causes mine to ’detach’, meaning it has to be unplugged and re-inserted. It’s becoming very frustrating and makes it almost useless as an ‘on the go’ DAC. The sound is great on my B&W P9s...as long as I move *very* slowly.

BelowDex

Oct 24, 2021
Visit site
BenSherman: I own both. I am not a fan of DragonFly at all--edgy, just sounds *off* to me - - and never use it. I find the A&K far superior. The enduring reviewer narrative that puts Dragonfly on all these lists is like the overhyped LS50 mania that is so absurdly overdone. A&K is built well, good power for average impedances, very listenable. Not much of a writer, don't know if that helps at all.

Reactions: BenSherman

BenSherman

Oct 24, 2021
Visit site
BenSherman: I own both. I am not a fan of DragonFly at all--edgy, just sounds *off* to me - - and never use it. I find the A&K far superior. The enduring reviewer narrative that puts Dragonfly on all these lists is like the overhyped LS50 mania that is so absurdly overdone. A&K is built well, good power for average impedances, very listenable. Not much of a writer, don't know if that helps at all.

Thanks - that's a really helpful insight. The A&K is also less than half the price of the Dragonfly Cobalt!

I'm planning to get into high quality audio for the first time. I have a limited budget, but have decided on getting Hifiman Sundara headphones and a battery-powered portable amp to run from my Android phone (I currently use Spotify, but will likely change to Qobuz or Tidal for high-res streaming).

I'm also considering the 'ifi hip-dac' as the amp option. I don't suppose you've had any experience with this as well - and how it compares to the A&K? My main aim is to get the best possible sound within my budget (as opposed to form-factor or convenience, etc) - and would particularly welcome any dac/amp that would enhance/widen the soundstage.

Thanks for your help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts