Question Assistance with Amp and Speakers for Record Player Newbie

Torchwood84

Oct 24, 2021
Visit site
Hello All,

First post here on the forum as I'm trying to get into the vinyl scene and I'm a little out of my depth.

After reading several guides on how to match speakers with amps, I think I have a decent grasp on things, but I'm finding it hard to actually pin down products with matching specifications. I was wondering if any of you would be able to make some recommendations. Apologies if this isn't allowed. I found a post of someone asking for a similar set-up, but the post was 7 years old, and I feel the landscape might have changed a bit.

So I'm looking for a vinyl set-up for preferably under £1000 but may be a little flexible on that.
The turntable that I have my sights on is a
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC
As it requires a Pre-Amp I was considering a Behringer MICROPHONO PP400 Ultra Compact Phono Preamp, as I haven't been able to find any articles that discuss pre-amp quality making a huge impact, but if going for this cheap an option is a serious issue, I'm open to suggestions.

With the above purchases in mind, I'd ideally like to purchase an amp and speakers for a maximum of £750.00 (cables etc excluded)

in an Amp I'm looking for something that has a Bluetooth input for my phone, and preferably an optical input so I can attempt to link my TV to the speakers on occasion. Other than that, I'm flexible.

As for the speakers, I'm very flexible, so long as they're able to fit on the console I plan to put them on so no free-standing. I have around about 30cm of width to deal with.

I appreciate it's a fairly broad ask, but even any basic direction anyone is willing to give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

However.
if you don't already own a lot of vinyl then I wouldn't seriously attempt it on your budget.
when you consider the cost of a new L P then it should make you realise it's tricky to get a really good system in a budget. Apologies if that sounds facetious but I am really curious as to why people, nowadays, want to get into vinyl.
I don't like putting people off trying but find many are somewhat disappointed at the end result, and thank you for not dragging up the seven year old thread. You did the right thing in starting your own.
Hopefully my suggestion has everything you might require, and you will not need that Behringer......

Last edited:

Gray

Al's suggestion is good and fits your budget (y) Just look for an amp that has an internal phono-stage then there'll be no need to for an extra box, (Behringer). Examples:

Bundles here: https://petertyson.co.uk/hifi/bundles-offers?cat=1980

and here: https://petertyson.co.uk/hifi/bundles-offers?cat=1769

All down to personal choice so go audition and choose which combo sounds best to your ears, and support your local hi-fi retailers.
Yes, some of those bundle offers give worthwhile savings on decent stuff.

Al's suggestion is good and fits your budget (y) Just look for an amp that has an internal phono-stage then there'll be no need to for an extra box, (Behringer). Examples:

Bundles here: https://petertyson.co.uk/hifi/bundles-offers?cat=1980

and here: https://petertyson.co.uk/hifi/bundles-offers?cat=1769

All down to personal choice so go audition and choose which combo sounds best to your ears, and support your local hi-fi retailers.
As far as I am aware the first bundle on your list doesn't have Bluetooth

Torchwood84

Oct 24, 2021
Visit site
Hello all and sorry for the late response, The evening really got away from me. Thank you for all of the suggestions, I'll be sure to check all of them out thoroughly.

So is it more of a desktop setup?
Where will the turntable go?
Not on the same console as the speakers?
No not quite a desktop setup. The speakers will be going on one unit and the turntable on another nearby.

Welcome to the forum.
can I ask why you want to get into vinyl at this particular point?
do you already own a lot of vinyl?
if you do then .......
Sorted!
Thanks for the recommendation. I don't currently own a lot of vinyl, but I'm very aware of the cost of each. The ongoing cost of a growing collection isn't an issue, I'd just like to not break the bank right off the bat going into it. As to why I'm interested, I do have a close friend or two with wide collections, and so I'm familiar with the result. It's something I'm looking to get into, for a number of reasons. But partly the sound quality, and partly the collectability. Maybe it's the generation I'm in, but the idea of buying physical albums is rather out the window now, but I always have a small selection of works that I would be willing to take the step for. However, CDs don't really have the appeal to me (to be honest, they never really did). If I'm going to take the step of buying some physical music, I'd rather take the step of spending more on it and having something a little more special.

So in short, I suppose the price isn't an issue because this is going to be a small, evolving selection of music I really care about, not my main source of music.

Note to the OP, if you are connecting your phone then a wired connection is better.
Thanks for the suggestion, and I'm sure from experience you will be right, but given the size of the room, I would like the option of a wireless connection for more casual listening.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
The difficulty I can see is the £750 for amplifier and speakers. Do you divide that by 2 and make larger compromises each side or go for one better component and upgrade the other down the line?

If it was me I'd settle for a better amplifier and well reviewed budget speakers. Another option is buying s/h.

Hello all and sorry for the late response, The evening really got away from me. Thank you for all of the suggestions, I'll be sure to check all of them out thoroughly.

No not quite a desktop setup. The speakers will be going on one unit and the turntable on another nearby.

Thanks for the recommendation. I don't currently own a lot of vinyl, but I'm very aware of the cost of each. The ongoing cost of a growing collection isn't an issue, I'd just like to not break the bank right off the bat going into it. As to why I'm interested, I do have a close friend or two with wide collections, and so I'm familiar with the result. It's something I'm looking to get into, for a number of reasons. But partly the sound quality, and partly the collectability. Maybe it's the generation I'm in, but the idea of buying physical albums is rather out the window now, but I always have a small selection of works that I would be willing to take the step for. However, CDs don't really have the appeal to me (to be honest, they never really did). If I'm going to take the step of buying some physical music, I'd rather take the step of spending more on it and having something a little more special.

So in short, I suppose the price isn't an issue because this is going to be a small, evolving selection of music I really care about, not my main source of music.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I'm sure from experience you will be right, but given the size of the room, I would like the option of a wireless connection for more casual listening.
understood, and thanks for getting back to me. The Denon amp I suggested should deal with your Bluetooth requirements and has a phono stage internally.

If I could stretch to the slightly pricier bundle on that site, would it be worthwhile do you think?
which bundle do you mean? I was trying to keep within your budget but if the amp has the inputs you require them it may be worth the extra, depends on what it is.
Cannot tell you how to spend your money, however I would say if you have a bit in hand you might look at upgrading the cartridge that comes with that turntable....that will be your biggest improvement. :)
apologies, I didn't click on your link, however I agree with @nopiano
personally I like the 607S but it will depend on your placement and your ears

Last edited:
If I could stretch to the slightly pricier bundle on that site, would it be worthwhile do you think?
I’d suggest that B&W speakers need to be heard, as the current series seem to be a bit more ‘love or hate’ than the KEFs.
Regarding the turntable, my first thought was the Technics with detachable head shell, if you want to keep swapping. Otherwise, one good cartridge should meet your needs.

I’d suggest that B&W speakers need to be heard, as the current series seem to be a bit more ‘love or hate’ than the KEFs.
Regarding the turntable, my first thought was the Technics with detachable head shell, if you want to keep swapping. Otherwise, one good cartridge should meet your needs.
Where does he say he wants to keep swapping??
I must have missed that bit....

Torchwood84

Oct 24, 2021
Visit site
understood, and thanks for getting back to me. The Denon amp I suggested should deal with your Bluetooth requirements and has a phono stage internally.
Thanks for the help, I think I'll be going with this one.

Just for the sake of clarity, the internal phono stage means I won't require a pre-amp?

nads

Ok let’s not listen to anyone and look at it differently.

i would look to audition an amp and speaker set that gives you good results for your current listening set up.

you are then up and running with a sound you are happy with.
then later you can go back to the same shop and get them to set up the same set up. And then audition a suitable record spinner and phone amp (if the main amp does not have one). In the meantime pick up some LPs for playing later.

you don’t say what your current set up is? your vinyl will not be main music source so I would build to that.

Ok let’s not listen to anyone and look at it differently.

i would look to audition an amp and speaker set that gives you good results for your current listening set up.

you are then up and running with a sound you are happy with.
then later you can go back to the same shop and get them to set up the same set up. And then audition a suitable record spinner and phone amp (if the main amp does not have one). In the meantime pick up some LPs for playing later.

you don’t say what your current set up is? your vinyl will not be main music source so I would build to that.
read thread again, he is definitely looking for a vinyl setup.....with the option of connecting his phone and TV, plus he may be starting from scratch....

daytona600

Pro-ject Carbon Debut DC / Pro-Ject Maia S2 / Pro-Ject Speaker Box 5 / Pro-Ject Connect-it LS S2 Speaker Cables
Maia has a DAC, a phono stage, a wireless receiver, a headphone amplifier .( with Bluetooth input for my phone, and preferably an optical input )
779_885 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts