Arm change?

worldofsteve

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi, been out of the game for a while, just listening to LPs rather than buying gear, but I have a little cash and a small upgrade itch. I'm using an OEM Rega arm passed on from a friend who thinks it's an RB250, I'm sentimentally attached to the Pink Triangle it's screwed to and the rather lovely MP11 screwed to it. I'm tired of trawling ebay for old Syrinxes etc., are they any arms in production now around £200-250? Or are the RB* rewire or counterweight changes worthwhile?

thanks

worldofsteve said:
Hi, been out of the game for a while, just listening to LPs rather than buying gear, but I have a little cash and a small upgrade itch. I'm using an OEM Rega arm passed on from a friend who thinks it's an RB250, I'm sentimentally attached to the Pink Triangle it's screwed to and the rather lovely MP11 screwed to it. I'm tired of trawling ebay for old Syrinxes etc., are they any arms in production now around £200-250? Or are the RB* rewire or counterweight changes worthwhile?

thanks

I'm afraid for that sort of budget you are not going to find a better arm new that will match your RB250. A rewire might be considered an upgrade. The counterweight can be improved with a low-slung version. If you cannot get stylus for the MP11 then I would buy a new MP110.

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I was in a similar place, Pink Triangle LPT with RB300. I had my RB300 rewired by Origin Live, for about the money you're talking, fantastic improvement in the sound.

worldofsteve

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, just what I was looking for, I'm slightly dubious about the merits of a counterweight but the cables have always looked very poor. Might even stick an Achromat on next ...

cheers, Steve.

worldofsteve said:
Thanks, just what I was looking for, I'm slightly dubious about the merits of a counterweight but the cables have always looked very poor. Might even stick an Achromat on next ...

cheers, Steve.

Personally, if you doubt counterweight improvement I don't see how an Achromat is going to improve things. Wires just carry the signal a very short distance. Some say silver Litz wire sounds better but I feel they may be mistaken or simply need to hear an improvement. Rewire if a cable is broken or tatty by all means but otherwise there is nothing going to offer such an obvious improvement than a cartridge change.

TRENDING THREADS