Are you Shure?

insider9

I've sold my Chord Mojo yesterday. I felt it wasn't a good paring to my AKG K712. The main issue was in bass register where both my headphones and Mojo had a bit of a boost. This felt a little bit thick and exaggerated to my ears.

I've met up with a guy who used a pair of Shure SHR1540. I've not heard them before but on the basis of a dozen of half tracks I was pleasantly surprised.

The pairing felt warm overall but had a natural sounding midrange. The detail was very good, soundstage excellent for a closed back headphone. The isolation both in and out was superb but it didn't cause voice inside your head effect like with most closed back designs. They felt semi opened. Comfortable to wear, built maybe didn't shout quality but the sound... The biggest compliment is that I didn't want to stop listening. Even if they weren't that neutral.

Like with any first impressions I'm aware there must be flaws. What would I have found out after using them for a few hours/days?

Rupert

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I have owned a pair of SRH1540 for just a couple of days .. I bought them because I wasn't particularly impressed with the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 that I have since returned.

My own first impressions are favourable, perhaps not quite as open sounding as the many reviews led me to expect, but a wider sound stage than the Momentums. They're not too bassy either, although I do appreciate being able to 'feel' the low end when listening to rock music. I've been so used to my now sadly defunct Sennheiser HD250 Linears, that any replacement is bound to take a little time to feel just right, but the SRH1540 is certainly in the right direction.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Rupert said:
I have owned a pair of SRH1540 for just a couple of days .. I bought them because I wasn't particularly impressed with the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 that I have since returned.

My own first impressions are favourable, perhaps not quite as open sounding as the many reviews led me to expect, but a wider sound stage than the Momentums. They're not too bassy either, although I do appreciate being able to 'feel' the low end when listening to rock music. I've been so used to my now sadly defunct Sennheiser HD250 Linears, that any replacement is bound to take a little time to feel just right, but the SRH1540 is certainly in the right direction.

I've had the 440, 840, 940, 1440, 1540, and 1840. The 440 was OK, but not well made or comfy. The 840 was much better and fairly accurate or neutral, but not a bargain at $200 USD in the U.S.. The 940 is legendary for accuracy and detail, but many people think it's too bright. The 1440 is similar to the 940, but costs more, is built better, and shares similar sonics (bright, they say). The 1540 I found a bit too recessed in the mid treble, but who knows - that was a few years ago. The 1840 originally cost $700 USD (now $500), and while it had a very attractive response from the upper bass to the upper treble, it had a serious defect in the lower bass, verified by several users, which can be heard on the opening beats in Jennifer Warnes' Rock You Gently.

Of all these Shures, if I were to buy one of them again, it would likely be the 1540, and whatever compensation I felt it needed to sound natural (like I hear with live music) I would apply with an equalizer. I think you made a good choice.

insider9

By no means I was under illusion it was a perfect headphone but really enjoyable. The midrange was lush and the warm sound of Mojo suited it much better than my AKG K712s. I'm in the process of making other changes to my setup so this will be on hold. But was I to find a bargain I'd definitely get a pair.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
insider9 said:
By no means I was under illusion it was a perfect headphone but really enjoyable. The midrange was lush and the warm sound of Mojo suited it much better than my AKG K712s. I'm in the process of making other changes to my setup so this will be on hold. But was I to find a bargain I'd definitely get a pair.

Hi

I have had a pair of these for quite some time and still really enjoy them. There's an element of their being a jack of all trades but the truth is they do most genres very well.

I wouldn't sell mine and that's probably the biggest compliment I can pay them. Hope you manage to find a pair and good luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts