Are you a Superfan?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

https://www.whathifi.com/news/vinyl-and-blu-ray-sales-dominated-superfans

I reckon I count for Blu-rays and 4K Blu-rays, how about you?

insider9

Does the existence of Superfans inflate the prices as such spoiling the market for others? Is the vinyl revival and associated pricing causing digital to suffer with often worse quality mastering? Finally, how many new albums are recorded in analogue domain only and how long producing new vinyl records becomes pointless?

Gray

I've got a mate who sounds like you gel. He's got racks chocked full of Blu-ray's, told me he paid £100 for The Abyss on disc (and I think that was only standard dvd)

He paid £300 for a (15 metre) HDMI lead to supply his projector.

He finds it hard to believe that I genuinely struggle to name 10 films that I've ever watched.

So I know what they mean by the term Superfan, but I must be the opposite.

D

Deleted member 2457

Do you know how much 4K Blu-rays cost? Easy to rack up that bill without having many. No Vinyl super fans then?

daveh75

No.

I've no interest in legacy formats, and haven't bought any physical media in longer than I can remember, my Oppo mainly gathers dust these days save the odd time I'll play an SACD on it...

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I still buy blue rays and sometimes a 4k film and CDs and will carry on doing so but I wouldn’t call myself a super fan as I buy the blue rays because they are cheaper then spending more money on iTunes downloads as there films are very expensive and you only seem to get extra content and different versions of a film if you buy a physical copy of a film like directors editions or extended versions of a film .

Some CDs can be cheaper to buy as well because obviously it’s not cool to own a CD player anymore unless your reaching your 50s and as for vinyl yes I own vinyl but never played it just collected vinyl but the hope was some day I would but the cost puts me off as it’s obviously cool to have a record player this day and age .

But I do feel if no ones buying any physical copies of any format we will lose it and then relying on greedy companies like iTunes and any other company’s to charge what they like which I think is wrong .

D

Deleted member 160668

Not quite sure how we’re grading superfans reading above comments...

I have couple of thousand or so cd’s, and am a MASSIVE hiphop-head... Many of CDs I have are nigh-on-impossible to obtain and worth very decent cash due to their rarety.

I would say I am deffo a super fan of hip hop/rap, prob more of a walking encyclopaedia if I’m honest.

insider9

amormusic said:
Not quite sure how we’re grading superfans reading above comments...

I have couple of thousand or so cd’s, and am a MASSIVE hiphop-head... Many of CDs I have are nigh-on-impossible to obtain and worth very decent cash due to their rarety.

I would say I am deffo a super fan of hip hop/rap, prob more of a walking encyclopaedia if I’m honest.

Have you listened to Janelle Monae "Dirty Computer"?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
daveh75 said:
No.

I've no interest in legacy formats, and haven't bought any physical media in longer than I can remember, my Oppo mainly gathers dust these days save the odd time I'll play an SACD on it...

More's the pity that what replaced them is so crap. No streaming service in the world can yet match the quality of the same film on disc.

D

Deleted member 2457

MajorFubar said:
daveh75 said:
No.

More's the pity that what replaced them is so crap. No streaming service in the world can yet match the quality of the same film on disc.
I can’t see the difference on Rakuten TV in UHD and HDR compared to my Oppo 4k hdr Player.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
gel said:
I can’t see the difference on Rakuten TV in UHD and HDR compared to my Oppo 4k hdr Player.

To be fair, most people can't tell the difference between a 320k MP3 and a CD, but the difference still exists. UHD BDs hold between 50-100 gigbytes of data streaming at between 82-128 megabits per second. We're years away from having the infrastructure, ISPs and content providers who could deliver data like that reliably to every home.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts