Are What Hi Fi sponsored by Onkyo ??

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
This is meant only with tongue in cheek curiosity but...

I've only just started reading What Hi Fi after only about 2.5 years as I'm now about to move house so am thinking about upgrading kit.

Where have Onkyo come from ? I'd never heard of them and my memories from a couple of years back was that Yamaha were king of the AV amps and now it's Onkyo everywhere. Every single recommendation in the mag or on these forums at any price levels seems to be Onkyo, Onkyo, Onkyo.

Do they REALLY blow everything else out of the water?

RH

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The simple answer to the headline question is no. Even if they wanted to they couldn't afford us - no-one could.

Well, Yamaha and Denon both seem rather reluctant to supply product for review at the moment, whereas Onkyo is really going for it in terms of making products that offer a lot of facilities and a lot of performance for the money, so we can only report it how we see it.

Mind you, makes a change from being accused of being Sony fan-boys...

BTW Onkyo has been around for many years.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
The simple answer to the headline question is no. Even if they wanted to they couldn't afford us - no-one could.

Well, Yamaha and Denon both seem rather reluctant to supply product for review at the moment, whereas Onkyo is really going for it in terms of making products that offer a lot of facilities and a lot of performance for the money, so we can only report it how we see it.

Mind you, makes a change from being accused of being Sony fan-boys...

BTW Onkyo has been around for many years.
[/quote]

cheers Andrew

I wonder why they never appeared on my radar before ?

Am dying to try one though - but think I'm more interested in somehow extending my Naim Nait5i into an AV system if poss...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
These things tend to be cyclical, too - a couple of years ago, we gave all but one receiver Award to Denon, as its range at that time was absolutely stonking.

Another year it'd be Yamaha, or Sony - this year it's Onkyo, which has not only out-specified and out-performed the competition, but done so at an incredibly competitive price: as we review on performance-per-pound, that's a key consideration....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]as we review on performance-per-pound, that's a key consideration....[/quote] If that be the case, how much would you have to spend to better the £1k Onkyo in all areas?

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
The answer to that is on p8 of the March issue, out Thursday....

[/quote]
Clare, could you offer us another 'Forum Exclusive' and tell us that answer?

Cheers,

Cofnchtr

Edit:

Seems the answer to that has just been posted!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Oh no it hasn't....
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

denon and yamaha could not match onkyo's backhander,thats why there running hot

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Wow, what is it with this sudden rush to jump on the "What Hi-Fi get paid to give some companies good reviews, no matter what the product's like" bandwagon?!

You do realise that you're basically trashing their professional integrity with these comments without any shred of evidence don't you? In many places, this is called libel and is quite a serious criminal offence.

A

Anonymous

thats because yamaha RX-V1800/RX-V3800 AND DENON'S 3808 haven't been reviewed yet extensively anywhere yet................that's why Onkyo's are the talk of the town.................onkyo cannot match yamaha or the denon

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="piopaul"]denon and yamaha could not match onkyo's backhander,thats why there running hot[/quote]

I could just delete this wholly inaccurate and defamatory post, but I think i'll just let your ignorance linger.

I suppose pointing you to all the poor ratings we've given Onkyo (three- and four-star ones in just the last few months) and the many five-star ratings we've given to Denon (every current DVD player in its range, for starters) and Yamaha (best soundbar you can buy) would be fruitless, as you don't want to hear reason, merely rely on your blind prejudice.

Thankfully for us and all our readers, we're more balanced than that

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="piopaul"]denon and yamaha could not match onkyo's backhander,thats why there running hot[/quote]

Evidence please? Or, with all due respect, withdraw that ridiculous allegation.

A

Anonymous

i sincerely apologise to all the what hifi team and fans a board for making that ridiculous statement ,it was seen as a bit of light humour it wasnt meant to upset people,for this i am very sorry and hope you forgive me.if you require my resignation from forum ,i will do so on request.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
The answer to that is on p8 of the March issue, out Thursday....

[/quote]When do subscibers get theirs i have not got mine yet.

A

Anonymous

thanks will wait for the stagecoach to pass and drop the mail of hope its here, is there a article on freesat in this months?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Full lowdown on Freesat - and the state of the entire HD world, both hardware, software and services - in a special 36-page HD supplement free with our April issue, out 6th March.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts