Are The Grado SR325i a worthwhile upgrade from the SR80i ?

rod1429

May 10, 2009
Visit site
I find myself listening through headphones more & more lately due to the kids ! So feel its time for an upgrade.

I currently have a pair of Grado SR80i's & wondered if the 325I's would be a significant upgrade ?

Am using a Beresford Caiman as a headphone amp.

rod1429

May 10, 2009
Visit site
Thanks John

Great review - Guess I need to go & listen some more, see if its worth the investment !

Any thoughts on anything else I should listen to in the same sort of price range while I'm at it ?

I have heard good things about the AKG K702 as well, seem to be available fairly reasonably priced but have not been able to have a listen so far?

A

Anonymous

I have Grado SR80 and SR325is. I also have a Caiman. In my opinion the difference between the 325 and 80 is worth having. However, I think that you should listen through a headphone amp first. In my opinion the headphone output on the Caiman can be improved upon significantly. I have a Graham Slee Solo and a Neco soundlabs mains H/P amp. Both of which give a much fuller sound that the Beresford.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey rod1429, I have a k702 and an x-can. First thing is the k702s are hard to drive, but I cannot tell you if the Caiman will do. I think the k702s are a different proposition to the 325s, they have loads (really lots) of detail and are very neutral. You will get more bass from the 325s and they are easier to drive as well. The k702s are not for bass heads, on some tracks I find it lacks bass...but it only produces it when the track has it. They are also unforgiving on low quality recordings, but ur caimans should improve that. If you can, get a demo. I really think these are 2 different headphones. Theres a review on cnet of the k702 http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/akg-k-702-open/4505-7877_7-33542260.html

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Hey rod, I own the AKG K702 and short of the $1000 mark, no headphone provides a deeper view into the music. The detail levels and clarity are truly jaw dropping. I've been into high end audio for 20 years and I cannot imagine a detail or clarity exceeding what these headphones provide. However, I do agree that the bass lacks weight. That's the only criticism, but for some people it's a serious flaw.

You should also consider the Sennheiser HD650 which is extremely good, has most of the detail levels of the AKGs but with fantastic bass as well. Plus, the Sennheisers are more comfortable than the Grados since they are full over ear cans. Highly recommend the senns.

rod1429:

Thanks John

Great review - Guess I need to go & listen some more, see if its worth the investment !

Any thoughts on anything else I should listen to in the same sort of price range while I'm at it ?

I have heard good things about the AKG K702 as well, seem to be available fairly reasonably priced but have not been able to have a listen so far?

My view pretty much chimes with Mr. Duncan, although I'm further down the Grado ladder. In many aspects I adore the SR60is, but in some ways I'm a tad disappointed: Compared to my old Sennheiser PX100s, the Grados trounce the Sennheisers for clarity and detail. Saying that, in terms of presentation and price I don't believe the Grados are twice as good as the PX100.

The problem with headphones, as opposed to amps, CDP and speakers, is you can't tweak the overall tonal quality... plug in to the amp or PC and that's it: what you hear is what you get.

However, despite not totally thrilled with the Grados, I won't change the cans. BTW, they take an age to run in properly...

As always, we all have different take on what's good and what isn't. I really like Grado, but don't love'em.

idc

Well, just to make this even more confusing;

- I think that the SR80s are twice as good as the PX200s and totally justify the price difference.

- a dealer in Glasgow was not prepared to sell me the SR325is as he did not think they were a worthwhile upgrade over the SR80s

- the AKG K702s are not that difficult to drive, the Grados are 32ohms and SPL 98 and the AKGs are 62 ohms and SPL 105, so they are not that different.

- the K702s will give you a nice alternative to the SR80s. They are not so much bass light as bass detailed. I think that the bass should provide rhythm and not drive the rest of the music by overwhelming it. Bass players would prefer bass detail to bass thump as then you can hear the real skill of their playing.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
The SR80i is a champ - big benefits of the SR325is (and other models underneath the RS2i/RS1i in the range) is greater bass and a smoother sound. You also get the funky gold/silver rim cans.

TRENDING THREADS