Are AV Receivers good for Music ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shadders

Doesn't always turn out that way, as you have all that video componentry as well which may or may not be isolated from analogue audio paths.
Hi,
Amazing how a DAC which operates at 24MHz (or there abouts) can amazingly produce fantastic performance (see Audiosciencereview website), yet just somehow, the engineering capability of half a century old electronics giants, just can't manage it.....

Regards,
Shadders.

manicm

Hi,
Amazing how a DAC which operates at 24MHz (or there abouts) can amazingly produce fantastic performance (see Audiosciencereview website), yet just somehow, the engineering capability of half a century old electronics giants, just can't manage it.....

Regards,
Shadders.

I'm not saying it's poor, but I don't think a 500 quid AV amp will sound better than a 500 quid stereo amp.

shadders

I'm not saying it's poor, but I don't think a 500 quid AV amp will sound better than a 500 quid stereo amp.
HI,
But then, it is a subjective view that matters. Maybe the slightly greater distortions (if inherent) in the AV amplifier are preferred over the stereo one ?

We can only ever find out through blind testing.

Regards,
Shadders.

manicm

HI,
But then, it is a subjective view that matters. Maybe the slightly greater distortions (if inherent) in the AV amplifier are preferred over the stereo one ?

We can only ever find out through blind testing.

Regards,
Shadders.

🙄 I very much doubt blind testing is necessary. My cousin who is not an audiophile by any stretch (I'm still telling the idiot to remove the bungs from his tiny KEF iQ10s), is still disappointed by his Onkyo AV amp for stereo music. He has it for over 2 years so don't want lip about acclimatization, warm up etc.

shadders

🙄 I very much doubt blind testing is necessary. My cousin who is not an audiophile by any stretch (I'm still telling the idiot to remove the bungs from his tiny KEF iQ10s), is still disappointed by his Onkyo AV amp for stereo music. He has it for over 2 years so don't want lip about acclimatization, warm up etc.
Hi,
That doesn't really prove anything other than he does not like the Onkyo presentation.

Is it possible that a persons approach to hifi is modified by the attitude of people around them ? If people keep on telling others that AV amplifier are not as good as stereo, then that may bias their judgement.

Regards,
Shadders.

record_spot

I used to use an Onkyo TX-NR818 about a decade or so ago. That was a great AV amp - picked over a Leema Pulse and Exposure 3010s. Integrated amps of the day were rather behind the curve. COnnectivity options were limited and online options were booming. I also wanted - at the time - the means to be able to hear Dolby's Master Audio (not to be confused with the odious MQA) and other hi-resolution formats at the time, including DSD which the Cambridge 752BD offered via HDMI and which the Onkyo catered for.

I listened to it for hours at a time; music, movies, internet radio (the connectivity was astounding). When I bought actives, it went into preamp mode and was terrific. As for the superfluous channels, well, that was a minor to non-issue for me. The last integrated I had, I didn't use the tape loop or three of the five other inputs. Same point really.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts