Are AV Receivers good for Music ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Can you suggest which speaker goes fine with Denon and Marantz ?

See many times, in Forums and reviews Wharfedale is fine with Denon and Marantz

Also, does a floorstanding speaker is too much for 12" X 15" living room ?
I think you would have to go and audition yourself however no reason that Wharfedales should not be suitable for either as you say.
You should be able to accommodate a small floorstander in a room that size, but again it will depend on the nature of that floorstander and space you can give it.
Standmounts would give you more choice in my opinion, think Evo 4.1 or 4.2

Reactions: Tinman1952 and SiR

manicm

Dedicated stereo amplifiers will always be better than budget to midrange AV amps. Just remember that in 90% of mass market AV amps, the amps for each channel are not really discrete. Hence 80% quote power ratings for 2-channel, and mostly never quote power output for all 5 channels.

Then there's all that video circuitry that could affect the sound. Ah, but most amps have a 'direct' mode, but it's still a compromise because the space taken up by the additional amplification and video circuitry could be put to better use for better power supplies, isolation etc.

I would reckon to get comparable stereo quality you're probably looking at AV amps that cost 800 pounds or more.

SiR

Dec 26, 2021
Visit site
I think you would have to go and audition yourself however no reason that Wharfedales should not be suitable for either as you say.
You should be able to accommodate a small floorstander in a room that size, but again it will depend on the nature of that floorstander and space you can give it.
Standmounts would give you more choice in my opinion, think Evo 4.1 or 4.2

I too prefer the Stand mounts, for the reason you mentioned above but having children in home, maneuver around, fear for it

Floor standers, might be a safe for this reason

SiR

Dec 26, 2021
Visit site
Dedicated stereo amplifiers will always be better than budget to midrange AV amps. Just remember that in 90% of mass market AV amps, the amps for each channel are not really discrete. Hence 80% quote power ratings for 2-channel, and mostly never quote power output for all 5 channels.

Then there's all that video circuitry that could affect the sound. Ah, but most amps have a 'direct' mode, but it's still a compromise because the space taken up by the additional amplification and video circuitry could be put to better use for better power supplies, isolation etc.

I would reckon to get comparable stereo quality you're probably looking at AV amps that cost 800 pounds or more.

Hope, the following would be comparable to midrange IA's :

Denon X3700 / X4700
Marantz SR5015 / SR 6015

Though not fixed to AVR, considering the above

Still, looking around IA's

once convinced with the audition of both. will go for any one or both [ HT bypass ]

Reactions: manicm

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I used avr’s for years to listen to music. To get a good sound and as others have mentioned you need proper discret amps for each channel, for that you have to spend a lot of money on an avr. Can they play music convincingly? Yeah they can.

From what I can tell, you want a “hifi”with digital capabilities. And your only going to be using 2 channels and maybe a subwoofer?

If it was me I’d look second hand. Especially for avr’s your not going to be taking advantage of the lastest and greatest sound formats ( well unless I’ve missed a post in this thread).

I’d look for some monster high end amps from the last 20 or so years. Thinks like Yamahas z11 for example. It retailed for around 3-4k back in the day and still a stunning preformer today and will give any traditional hifi a run it’s money. You can probably pick it up for around 3-500 now sound wise nothing will beat anything at sort of money these days. In fact you just won’t find performance like it now for under 10k.

You don’t need all the hdmi switching any good tv can do that you just need an optical cable. And off you go.

but as I say maybe I’ve missed something so please ignore me if I have.

barcpc

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
If it's only for your hifi why are you wasting money on superfluous channels / sockets etc, unless they are cheap second-hand kit it doesn't make financial sense.
Why does AVR give you 'a lot of choices ' ? Can you explain?
Of course, if you already own one it can be used in a 2 channel role but I would not consider going out to buy one specifically to do this.

Sorry, I just saw your post, let me try to explain a bit more.

Choices: I have a lot of Music DVD and CDs that I still want to watch, so connecting the DVD and the CD player to the AVR will give me the same sound quality since I'm using the same AVR+Speakers.
I also hear a lot via streaming (Spotify) so again the AVR solves that issue.
On the other hand, I don't have LPs.
And I like to watch movies and the sound from the TV is not good. Yes, I could buy a home theater connected to the TV but again the AVR solves that problem.

Does it make sense?

comments are welcome,

Reactions: Alantiggger

SiR

Dec 26, 2021
Visit site
I used avr’s for years to listen to music. To get a good sound and as others have mentioned you need proper discret amps for each channel, for that you have to spend a lot of money on an avr. Can they play music convincingly? Yeah they can.

From what I can tell, you want a “hifi”with digital capabilities. And your only going to be using 2 channels and maybe a subwoofer?

If it was me I’d look second hand. Especially for avr’s your not going to be taking advantage of the lastest and greatest sound formats ( well unless I’ve missed a post in this thread).

I’d look for some monster high end amps from the last 20 or so years. Thinks like Yamahas z11 for example. It retailed for around 3-4k back in the day and still a stunning preformer today and will give any traditional hifi a run it’s money. You can probably pick it up for around 3-500 now sound wise nothing will beat anything at sort of money these days. In fact you just won’t find performance like it now for under 10k.

You don’t need all the hdmi switching any good tv can do that you just need an optical cable. And off you go.

but as I say maybe I’ve missed something so please ignore me if I have.

thanks for your feedback !!

My liking is to have a good hifi system but having various inputs from FMs in this and other threads, interested in AVR too, apart from IA's for music

Curious to know how far a good AVR can compete with a normal IA

Some suggest, a good, modern AVR can sure be on par with budget/normal IA

So, came with this thread to get a good input from FMs based on their experience

Now, I hear an external DAC too can be added to a AVR for good music hearing

If any FMs have done so or using now can give your thoughts too

Regards

shadders

Hi,
An AVR that has 7 channels will have 7 separate amplifiers. The amplifier circuit is not much different to an integrated amplifier.

Same for the DAC IC. The AVR DAC IC is no different to the separate DAC IC. All that does happen is that the DAC IC implemented in an AVR may have an 8 channel DAC IC as opposed to a stereo DAC IC implementation.

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: daveh75

manicm

Hi,
An AVR that has 7 channels will have 7 separate amplifiers. The amplifier circuit is not much different to an integrated amplifier.

Same for the DAC IC. The AVR DAC IC is no different to the separate DAC IC. All that does happen is that the DAC IC implemented in an AVR may have an 8 channel DAC IC as opposed to a stereo DAC IC implementation.

Regards,
Shadders.

I will repeat, in 99% of AV receivers, regardless of cost, those '7 seperate amplifiers' are grossly misleading. If a receiver is rated at 100w/channel, even in a 2000 quid one, you are NOT getting 100w for each channel amplifier. You're probably getting more like 40-50w, if not a bit less. So don't fool yourself.

If you want true power for each channel you'd buy a multichannel power amp(s), and seperate AV processor.

shadders

I will repeat, in 99% of AV receivers, regardless of cost, those '7 seperate amplifiers' are grossly misleading. If a receiver is rated at 100w/channel, even in a 2000 quid one, you are NOT getting 100w for each channel amplifier. You're probably getting more like 40-50w, if not a bit less. So don't fool yourself.

If you want true power for each channel you'd buy a multichannel power amp(s), and seperate AV processor.
Hi,
No one stated that each channel, all 7 driven, will be the nominal 100watts each. Maybe read the entire thread before commenting.

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: Al ears and daveh75

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, I just saw your post, let me try to explain a bit more.

Choices: I have a lot of Music DVD and CDs that I still want to watch, so connecting the DVD and the CD player to the AVR will give me the same sound quality since I'm using the same AVR+Speakers.
I also hear a lot via streaming (Spotify) so again the AVR solves that issue.
On the other hand, I don't have LPs.
And I like to watch movies and the sound from the TV is not good. Yes, I could buy a home theater connected to the TV but again the AVR solves that problem.

Does it make sense?

comments are welcome,
I'd imagine that your music will sound just fine tbh.
I have a Yamaha RX-V673 and set on direct sound the music is Fab !

Last edited:
Reactions: barcpc

robdmarsh

My take on this is it all depends how important music reproduction is to you.

About 18 months ago I got curious about the whole AV thing and thought I would get a soundbar and so I got a Sonos beam. I don't know why I bothered. Movies sounded so much better through my stereo amp and speakers even if those speakers are not ideally placed. Music soundtracks obviously sound better, spoken soundtracks are very clear, sound effects sound pretty good, even if the explosions, helicopter blades etc are not placed around the room how they would be with a surround sound set up. But then again I have no interest in surround and don't understand how people fork out large sums of money on 5.1 or 7.1 speaker systems and amps. Just as those people would not understand how the music nuts fork out large sums on integrated or separate power and pre-amps, DACs, cabling and other components to chase the ultimate in stereo reproduction!

Just as those people would not understand how the music nuts fork out large sums on integrated or separate power and pre-amps, DACs, cabling and other components to chase the ultimate in stereo reproduction!
It depends - some of us have a foot in both camps. Both ways of dealing with this are compromises - you either run two systems (which in my case means an AV one with cheaper, more 'lifestyle' speakers and a cheaper amp), or compromise on amplification and speakers as far as stereo is concerned*. I guess the choice someone in my position makes tells you a lot about their priorities - I spend more time watching films than listening to music, but most of my budget went on the latter.

*I doubt even the most die-hard AV fan will tell you that the stereo pair in a 5.1 or 7.1 set will hold a candle to a stereo pair with a similar price tag.

If you are buying a surround set at a given price, it'll includes (in all likelihood) six or eight speakers, two of which will function as your stereo pair (and possibly sub too). At a given price, a set of two stereo speakers are very likely to be a lot better with music.

shadders

Hi,
An AV amplifier that has to drive 7 channels, will likely have a power supply equivalent or better than a stereo amplifier.

Such that when the AV amplifier is used as a stereo amplifier, then there is likely no difference to a stereo amplifier.

Regards,
Shadders.

manicm

Hi,
An AV amplifier that has to drive 7 channels, will likely have a power supply equivalent or better than a stereo amplifier.

Such that when the AV amplifier is used as a stereo amplifier, then there is likely no difference to a stereo amplifier.

Regards,
Shadders.

Doesn't always turn out that way, as you have all that video componentry as well which may or may not be isolated from analogue audio paths.

Reactions: Tinman1952

TRENDING THREADS