Are 3rd party 3D active shutter glasses any good?

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
since panasonic glasses are extremely expensive, has anyone tried cheap 3rd party glasses from ebay which are supposed to be universal and works with major brands. Thanks.

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
only glasses made for a specific tv will work with the tv as far as im aware otherwise the manufacturers would be out of pocket which in the economic climate which wouldent be a wise decision in the preseny economic climate but i may be wrong of coures :) :)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
If you own a 2011 tv from Sony, Panasonic and Samsung (i think it's just these three) then an agreement was made last year to make glasses that work across all these brands and the first wave of these will arrive this year. You can then take your glasses round a friends for example and they will work as long as the tv in question is made by one of these manufacturers, the new glasses will work with any 2011 3D tv onwards but i've not seen anymore details since the initiative was announced last year.

As for 3rd party glasses there aren't many pairs out there that i have seen but i would be doubtful that they would be very good, i can't find any reviews either which just rings alarm bells. If they are cheap enough they may be worth a try, perhaps just get one pair to start, but if it was me i would stick with the glasses that were made for the tv despite the extra cost.

A

Anonymous

NigelF said:
since panasonic glasses are extremely expensive, has anyone tried cheap 3rd party glasses from ebay which are supposed to be universal and works with major brands. Thanks.

Might be worth waiting a while and see what happens in the market, as the way forward see pasive at the moment and looks like to continue. It's like the Vhs vs Betamax war from the late 70's.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Glasses are expensive, and like if our like me will only tend to use them with proper 3d material rather then 2d conversion. Try the Panasonic centre buy one get one free, we all like those deals at £99 for two pairs it's not to bad, we needed 3 pairs and they let us have them for £150.I wouldn't try 3rd party ones unless you get send them back plus Panasonic ones come in three sizes so you good have a mixture of sizes when choosing the buy one get one free, also the large size tends to be more expensive from some retailers like £79 a pair.

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
That Panasonic 'Two for One' deal looks good if they are still running it - the glasses are now about £80.99 a pair on Panasonic's site. One other thing you can try looking for on ebay is people who have bought a 3DTV and either don't like the 3D or are upgrading and want to get rid of their old specs. I bought two pairs of the samsung IR glasses (which have been superceeded by their bluetooth ones) for £50, still in their boxes.

As neither panasonic, sony or samsung are actually selling their own 'Universal' specs (as Andy says it is still work in progress), I'd be very wary buying some from an ebay seller in China or Hong Kong - if the manufacturers have no agreed specification, then you're really taking a bit of a gamble.

Rob

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
The deal was on last tuesday as we bought ours, and Panasonic online store have most of their products at full rrp.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Incidentally, there are stories emerging that most major television manufacturers will now (reluctantly) be using passive 3D for future sets (Sony made an announcment to this effect this week).

EDIT: just read the WHF news section and apparently Sony has denied it will ship passive 3DTVs outside China. I'm guessing the reports I read were internet hyperbole... Who'd have thunk it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts