Arcam universal player udp411

Stu889

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

My arcam udp411 has stopped working. We had several power cuts on quick succession and I believe something has blown inside the player. I have proved it is still getting power.

The question I have is it worth getting another universal player like the Pioneer if I can't repair this one? Or get two separate devices? One for CD's and one for Blue Ray?

Regards Stuart

Hi,

My arcam udp411 has stopped working. We had several power cuts on quick succession and I believe something has blown inside the player. I have proved it is still getting power.

The question I have is it worth getting another universal player like the Pioneer if I can't repair this one? Or get two separate devices? One for CD's and one for Blue Ray?

Regards Stuart
Presumably your music system and TV are close together?
I have always been an advocate of one box for one job but, in this case, I wouldn't go down that route.
Check all fuses in your Arcam etc but if it is finished it all comes down to finances. You might find a two box set-up is actually cheaper than a universal disc player but if you buy second-hand I would suggest you look for another universal disc player as it's one less optical drive that potentially could give problems.
However, if you buy new the LX-500 was nearly a grand so you're going to be better off financially buying two separate boxes.
There are some used Oppo 105eu on eBay for around £900 but you may be taking a chance with these.

abacus

If you are only using Blu-Rays & CDs then any Blu-Ray player will do, however if you are also looking for SACD & DVD Audio support then the Pioneer LX500 is the only option, if you only need SACD support than the Sony 700 or 800 Blu-Ray players will suit and are reasonably priced.

NOTE: A lot of new players only have HDMI & digital out so if you need good quality analogue outs then you will need to spend the extra. (If you use HDMI or Digital out then it doesn’t matter whether you spend £50 or £5000 on the player as the sound quality will be determined by what you plug it into)

Bill

If you are only using Blu-Rays & CDs then any Blu-Ray player will do, however if you are also looking for SACD & DVD Audio support then the Pioneer LX500 is the only option, if you only need SACD support than the Sony 700 or 800 Blu-Ray players will suit and are reasonably priced.

NOTE: A lot of new players only have HDMI & digital out so if you need good quality analogue outs then you will need to spend the extra. (If you use HDMI or Digital out then it doesn’t matter whether you spend £50 or £5000 on the player as the sound quality will be determined by what you plug it into)

Bill
Well there is the Denon DVDA1UD........ but that's £4000

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi,

Regards Stuart
The Pioneer 500 isn’t very reliable I got told this by Richer Sounds I thought I would try the Pioneer 800 instead and that kept freezing too. If you could get a Oppo 203 or Cambridge Audio CXUHD 4K Blu-Ray player off somewhere like eBay when they are going cheap would be my choice. Both have pure audio option too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts